Mushroom Wars - A Simple PSN RTS - $9.99 - Demo Out Now

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/10/mushroom-wars-coming-to-psn-this-thursday-for-9-99/

Hey everyone! It’s Scott at Creat Studios again, here to tell you about our seventh (yes, seventh!) release for PlayStation Network in 2009. Our new RTS, Mushroom Wars, will be available for $9.99 this Thursday, October 15.

Now, you’re asking, what exactly is Mushroom Wars? Do I have to battle evil, killer mutant zombie mushrooms? Well, as cool as that might sound, (hmmm…maybe there’s a future PSN release!), you don’t battle the mushrooms themselves, but you will do battle for the mushrooms. Mushroom Wars is a fast-paced and accessible RTS, with a quaint, anime-inspired visual style where you send your cute armies into battle, upgrade your mushroom bases, improve your weaponry and fight skirmishes in close-quarter maps.

You can play against the AI or kick your friends’ butts in Campaign mode. The Skirmish mode lets you quickly jump right into battles. Local multiplayer allows up to four players to tough it out to see who’s the baddest army in the meadow.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50881.html

We’re very excited about Mushroom Wars, and we’re confident that you’ll have a great time. Whether you’re pursuing a full campaign, or in the mood for a quick, five-minute RTS battle to jump-start your morning, Mushroom Wars is simply great fun.

Creat Studios wishes to continue to thank all of our fans who have played our PSN games this year. We greatly appreciate your support and your feedback. We can’t do it without you!
Besides the blatant rip-off of PixelJunk Monsters' art style and music, I'm looking forward to seeing if this is a good game or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Besides the blatant rip-off of PixelJunk Monsters' art style and music, I'm looking forward to seeing if this is a good game or not.[/QUOTE]

You'd think Otograph and Dylan Cuthbert would be filing some sort of law suit sooner or later. And also, PJM was originally $7.99 when it came out (for the first month or so) and looked alot more fleshed out than this does. A more expensive knock-off? Pass.

I read elsewhere that this is similar to a game called Galcon. After playing that for a solid hour now (free flash version), and the free iPhone version, I'm curious to see how much more gameplay there is in MW. For $10, it might be worth it - seems like there are upgrades to the bases, and if I am reading it correctly, local multiplayer, which means on the same screen? I'd get it for the local multiplayer alone.

Has anybody actually tried this one out yet?

Sweet, I get to reply back to my own post! :)

I bought this, and played for a good 3 hours tonight. All the comparisons to PJM pretty much end at the graphics and sound - this is a totally different game, very much a "lite" version of an RTS, but paced fairly quickly, and tailor made for single screen console fun. The controls are very easy - press and hold R1, select where to move with the left stick, then use one of the four shape buttons to send 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100% of your mushrooms to the target. Repeated presses of R1 after moving to different bases automatically selects the last target, so you can rapidly fire off reinforcements to a given base, or attack an enemy base, with teh quickness.

I got my wife hooked on this, and we played a couple head to head local multiplayer matches. That works out really well, although we did have to take a few minutes to try to figure out what one of the tower types was... the directions are a little, shall we say, lacking, but it is decipherable if you spend a few minutes looking at the screen that shows all the upgrades.

All in all a good $10 spent!

The demo's out now and it's fun. The controls kind of stink, at least for choosing where to send your troops. I will probably have to pick it up soon.

I played the game since the first week it was released. FUN FUN FUN!

Well, i play every stage on HARD setting, so it's very very very anal, but man, it's fun...

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The demo's out now and it's fun. The controls kind of stink, at least for choosing where to send your troops. I will probably have to pick it up soon.[/QUOTE]

You're so right on the control, one mistake and boom, you lose the battle :bomb:
Well, on hard, you can't make such mistakes...

[quote name='Snake2715']I also got to the demo last night..

seems like it could be a blast... any other insight by anyone?[/QUOTE]

Play HARD and win the battles! It's more satisfying than earning trophies, lol.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Someone post some screen shots.[/QUOTE]

Ummm....if you have a PS3....you can see a video or download the demo from there.
And if you don't have a PS3.......why bother asking?

There are also screenshots all over the web. IGN has a bunch.

But if you want screenshots on HARD, perhaps you should ask Serpentor. I'm not 100% sure, but I think he only plays on HARD. Because HARD is the roxxorzs!1

Looks fun.
I like this type of fun PSN games like Fat Princess and they likes.
Will be looking for a gameshare after I DL the demo.

Played the demo last nite and it was mad fun.
I know want this game.
Anyone have a gameshare of it please PM me.

[quote name='Zippon']Ummm....if you have a PS3....you can see a video or download the demo from there.
And if you don't have a PS3.......why bother asking?

There are also screenshots all over the web. IGN has a bunch.

But if you want screenshots on HARD, perhaps you should ask Serpentor. I'm not 100% sure, but I think he only plays on HARD. Because HARD is the roxxorzs!1[/QUOTE]
Lol

I am enjoying this game but cannot figure out why the levels I have beat some have a Star or Exclamation Point over their head. Anyone know why?

this is the type of game that i hate, but i have spent/enjoyed at least an hour watching other people play this on youtube.

Im about to buy this game and if anyone wants a share of it for $1, please let me know.
thx a bunch

So Im about half away thur the Single Player and there are these two levels before you cross the water that I cant beat. Its the 5 min time cap that kills me.

But its still fun

Just a heads up for those interested, Mushroom Wars is on sale for $4.99 (50% off) until the 7th of this month. Part of there weekly sale this past week.

I picked it up after enjoying the demo. Its a nice time killer and a good challenge.

[quote name='adriley313']Im about to buy this game and if anyone wants a share of it for $1, please let me know.[/QUOTE]

I'll give you $1 if you promise to stop asking about gameshares for a $5 game...you hobo.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...s-psn-today-developer-tournament-coming-soon/

Mushroom Wars is getting multiplayer DLC today for $2.99. They're also going to be holding a tournament later this month:
Along with the addition of online multiplayer support, Mushroom Wars Online introduces a number of new features to the original title, including local multiplayer support for up to four players. Players can enjoy custom matches against online friends for training and entertainment, or watch others battle from the sidelines to hone their strategic skills. Users can now compare their global rank with others to see how they stack up and keep track of their personal score history. Mushroom Wars Online also allows players to record and replay matches, and upload gameplay videos online to share with friends.

We know that North America has been waiting patiently for the chance to play Mushroom Wars online and we want to make is special for you. So, we will be holding a tournament for Mushroom Wars: Online (RSVP here) where you can play against the developers! The North American tournament will be held on April 28th. Compete for a chance to win some of our fabulous prizes:

Prizes:

1. $40 PlayStation Network Card for the most interesting tactics of the game regardless of results.
  2. $20 PlayStation Network Card for best results in Online RankedMatch during the tournament.
  3. $10 PlayStation Network Card for the most active participation in the tournament.

bread's done
Back