Must Have DS Games

GuardianE

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
So, I just picked up a DS because I found a great deal on one... but I frankly have little ideas on what games to get. I've never followed DS news at all and so I have pretty much no concept of what is out right now.

My question to you is, what would you recommend to a DS newbie? What are the must have games for the DS that everyone should own?

Right now I'm interested in Ninja Gaiden, Phoenix Wright, SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters, and The World Ends With You.

[quote name='GuardianE']So, I just picked up a DS because I found a great deal on one... but I frankly have little ideas on what games to get. I've never followed DS news at all and so I have pretty much no concept of what is out right now.

My question to you is, what would you recommend to a DS newbie? What are the must have games for the DS that everyone should own?

Right now I'm interested in Ninja Gaiden, Phoenix Wright, SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters, and The World Ends With You.[/QUOTE]

Did you want to narrow down the genres you are looking for, I mean there are a ton of games to recommend, but it all depends on the type of games you play. RPG, Action, Adventure, etc. It will help us out in the recommendation phase.

[quote name='Squarehard']Did you want to narrow down the genres you are looking for, I mean there are a ton of games to recommend, but it all depends on the type of games you play. RPG, Action, Adventure, etc. It will help us out in the recommendation phase.[/QUOTE]

As strange as it sounds, I guess I was looking for a list of DS exclusive games that every DS owner should have more or less regardless of taste. Games that will make you a fan of the genre if you weren't before, or ones that really utilize the unique DS features well (mic, stylus, dual screens).

Also, I'm looking for unique experiences with the DS. A style of play that is can't be replicated on most other systems. Trauma Center, for instance... though I have Trauma Center for the Wii already.

But if it helps, I'm all about action, adventure, and rpg... less about puzzle and casual games. Sidescrollers are okay, but they'd have to be really deep. Right now I'm looking for things that can only be gotten from a DS, if that makes any sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man. I personally believe the DS is the best platform for RPG's this generation. You can be occupied for years just playing the different uber RPG's on it. Can't really give you a huge list, but check on Amazon for the most popular games and you'll get the jist of it. Personally, I've been playing Diner Dash DS like mad. Yeah, it's one of the older games and it can be found on cell phones and what not.. but damn, that game is so fun. Haha.

Super Robot Wars
It has a great battle system, and is a great RPG as long as you don't mind crude humor. All the main characters are constantly making suggestive cracks on each other and their enemies.

Rhythm Heaven
It's a quirky touch screen music rhythm game.

Club House Games
Great if you like card games and other variety games like darts, blowing, mahjong etc. that you can play for a few minutes to kill time.

There's the Chrono Trigger port. Unless you've played that RPG to death on other systems. The 3 Castlevania games are great too.

mis0:
I'm wondering what RPGs in particular besides The World Ends With You. I'm not really interested in ports of older Final Fantasies or Chrono Trigger, as I've played them all before, for the most part.

dragoon99:
I'm going to pick up Super Robot Taisen. It looks too ridiculous for me to NOT pick up. I'm not really into time killers for the most part, so Club House Games is probably not for me. As for Castlevania, do you mean Order of Ecclesia? I'd heard mixed things about that.

You gotta try out the Trauma Center games, they are really unique and I think play better than the Wii counterpart. Of course you need New Super Mario Brothers and Mario Kart DS, both great games pretty much anyone with a DS owns. The Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger remakes are all great as well. I just got Chinatown Wars awhile ago and it's pretty fun too, much better than I thought it would be. I've yet to try out my copy of The legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass but I'm sure it's an instant classic as well.

Picross, Professor Layton, LoZ:pH, Pokemon Trozei (I dont care what everyone else thinks, but games addicting @_@), any Final Fantasy game, World Ends With You, Space Invaders Extreme, Contact, Bomberman Land Touch (This is more of a Mario Party style game where there are mini games that utilize the touch screen), Cooking Mama, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrows if you really want to take advantage of the touch screen), Castlevania Order of Ecclesia is a good one too, Lunar Knights (Great game), Phoenix Wright series(Including Apollo Justice), Lux-Pain (its alright, but does use the touch screen feature to decent use, but alright), Prism: Light the Way, Nervous Brickdown, Drawn to Life, Lock's Quest, Pac N Roll, Pac-Pix, Space Invaders Extreme, and finally Big Bang, which is a fantastic game that uses the DS touch screen very well.

Those are just the games I pulled up that are more unique from my collection that utilizes the DS more or is more unique since its only on the DS. Hope that helps.

professor layton, gta chinatown wars is awesome, pokemon diamond, pearl, or platinum are fun, any of the castlevania's are simply amazing, zelda, wareware touched makes you look like a frantic idiot but still fun, and well there's more but let's start with those and work your way up. the phoniex wright series is a must play ESPCIALLY the first one.

[quote name='keithp']Seriously OP--look up. There's a reason there's a stickied thread there.[/QUOTE]

tbh i never even noticed that thread stickied up there and i post in this section all the time, lol. :booty:

[quote name='neschamp']One of the stickied threads at the top of the DS forum is exactly what you are looking for. Check it out:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155673[/QUOTE]

[quote name='keithp']Seriously OP--look up. There's a reason there's a stickied thread there.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow. Thanks, guys. That thread is awesome. I didn't even see it there. With the thread title, I didn't expect it to be so comprehensive. Sorry!

Ok, but since this is here... Soul Bubbles. I recently, finally picked this up (via Goozex) and it really is great. Definitely a unique and fun game. It's a must-have.

[quote name='crunchewy']Ok, but since this is here... Soul Bubbles. I recently, finally picked this up (via Goozex) and it really is great. Definitely a unique and fun game. It's a must-have.[/QUOTE]

This.

Also, some of the older DS titles such as Meteos, Super Princess Peach, New Super Mario Bros, Tetris DS, Kirby's Canvas Curse... if you can find some of them. Except for NSMB, that's everywhere.

Professor Layton is maddening, but good.

Get these NAO:

The World Ends With You
Time Hollow
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Professor Layton and the curious village
Phoenix Wright Trilogy
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Phoenix Wright Trilogy

[quote name='TheMaidenOfSorrow']Get these NAO:

The World Ends With You
Time Hollow
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Professor Layton and the curious village
Phoenix Wright Trilogy
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Phoenix Wright Trilogy[/QUOTE]

I personally didnt like Time Hollow that much. Was definitely lacking for an adventure game. Definitely no Phoenix Wright, Layton, or Hotel Dusk, but it was alright. Not as bad as Jake Hunter, so its still decent.

Picross, Henry Hatsworth, Dragon Quest Rocket Slime, Pictobits (from DSi shop), Professor Layton. Any Mario/Mario spin-off game (Yoshi, Peach, etc.) because we have them all and we have yet to find a bad one. Rhythm Heaven, LOZ Phantom Hourglass, Soul Bubbles. A Pokemon game (one will do - take your pick). There are many more. Those are just some of my recommendations.

If you like RPGs, the DragonQuest/Warrior titles that are new to the US via the DS are obvious picks. Plus the spinoffs like Rocket Slime are worth looking into. I don't care for the Pokemon genre, so some of them aren't of interest to me but if you like simulated animal cruelty...

[quote name='Squarehard']I personally didnt like Time Hollow that much. Was definitely lacking for an adventure game. Definitely no Phoenix Wright, Layton, or Hotel Dusk, but it was alright. Not as bad as Jake Hunter, so its still decent.[/QUOTE]

They're sure a hell of a lot better than Zelda: Phailed Hourglass, and Pokemon Tur-...err...Trozei.

Kirbys Canvas Curse has great use of the stylus
Castlevania the first one on the ds is awesome got stuck on the second
I really like the Tony Hawk games American sk8land and downhill jam
Trauma center is cool on the ds
chronno trigger
Dragon Quest 4 and 5
The ds might have as many quality titles as the ps2 which is saying alot. The ds was my favorite platform until I got my ps3 a year ago.

bread's done
Back