Must have GC games?

allen9917

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Thanks to the 30% off GS coupon I got chance to expand my small GC game collection. I only start to play GC games after I got my Wii so I'm definitely new to the GC community. My interest is pretty broad, which you can tell from the games I already have. What do you guys think are "must have" GC games, especially GC exclusive ones?

Here is my current list (updated 7/10):

Animal Crossing
Baiten Kaitos
Chaos field
Donkey Konga 1&2
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Eternal Darkness
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
F-zero GX
Gotcha Force
Legend of Zelda CE
Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Golf
Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Power Tennis
Metroid Prime 1 & 2
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Pikmin 1 & 2
Resident Evil 0, 1, 2, 3
Skies of Arcadia Legends
SSX 3
Super Mario Strikers
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Monkey Ball 1&2
Super Smash Bros Melee
Tales of Symphonia
Viewtiful Joe 1&2
Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble
Wario World
Wave Race Blue Storm

Here are what I'm looking to get:

Legend of Zelda Four Swords
MGS Twin Snakes (expensive and hard to find at GS)
Resident Evil Code Varonica X (expensive on GC, might get the PS2 version)
Mario Superstar Baseball (not sure whether I'll enjoy it..)
SSX Tricky

I'm sure I'm missing some "gold". Any idea please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think you're missing:
SSX Tricky
Resident Evil 4, assuming you don't already have it for Wii (and you may as well get 3 and Code: Veronica X to complete the collection)
Yes, go on and get SSB Melee. It's awesome and a half.
Super Mario Strikers
Ikaruga, if you can find an inexpensive copy
Soul Calibur II -- not a GC exclusive, but GC was the best of the 3.

[quote name='antlp89']A game that I clocked hour upon hours on: Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II. Very addicting stuff.[/quote]
the question is where do you find it for cheap =/

Metal Gear Solid:Twin Snakes
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Time Splitters 2

You have SSX 3 on your list, I highly recommend SSX Tricky. It's the best IMO.(Although 3 is a close second)
Not sure if its a must have, but Baten Kaitos deserves a mention.

That list you got is pretty comprehensive, I think. In addition, here are some of my other favorites:

Rayman 3 (a fun platformer)
Donkey Konga (the original, not the second one) and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Star Fox Adeventures (a good Zelda clone)

I'm currently wrapping up the Resident Evil series for Gamecube. Resident Evil 0&1 are great, 2, 3 and Code Veronica are just ports. If you have played RE3 or Code Veronica before, it's not really worth getting it for the Cube since their is a grotesque mark up for basically direct ports of the PSOne versions of the game. I'm not saying they are bad games, but if you have a PSOne/PS2/PS3, then you probably ought to buy those versions instead.

And to answer your RE3 statement, I'm currently in the middle of playing that game. Right now I'd say my favorite Resident Evil games are 1) Resident Evil, 2) Resident Evil Zero, 3) Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil 3 being my least favorite (I have yet to play Resident Evil 4, I wanted to play through the series in order before playing RE4). There are some great improvements in RE3, but dealing with Nemesis constantly chasing after you makes the game more annoying than challenging and enjoyable.

[quote name='ets']the question is where do you find it for cheap =/[/quote]

Pawn shops - just got my copy (minus the manual) for $10. Not bad.

[quote name='GAMERMASTERMAN']Metal Gear Solid:Twin Snakes
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Time Splitters 2

You have SSX 3 on your list, I highly recommend SSX Tricky. It's the best IMO.(Although 3 is a close second)
Not sure if its a must have, but Baten Kaitos deserves a mention.[/QUOTE]

SSX Trick is better on the PS2, though I say this going almost entirely on reviews. I've only played it on the PS2, but I can see that if they just did a straight port without thinking about how to change the control scheme for the Gamecube (which they apparently didn't for Tricky - they supposedly did a better job with the later games), then it would be less than ideal on the Cube.

Note that The Legend of Zelda Four Swords is not going to be quite the same when played on the Wii since it isn't possible to hook up GBAs to the Wii. I have no direct experience with the game (again), but my older son and his cousin and a friend are having a blast with this game, but playing on a GC and with 3 GBAs hooked up. It doesn't seem like it would be the same without the GBAs.

I do have direct experience with Ikaruga. It's a solid game and has some unique aspects, but it is a shooter, so whether or not you should pick that up depends on whether or not you like shooters. I had the game for a little while and enjoyed it, but then decided that I'd rather sell it for a profit and pick it up again later, going on the presumption that the Xbox 360 download release of the game would lower the price of the GC version. I haven't checked lately to see if that has actually happened, though. At some point I definitely want to get it again regardless.

Donkey Konga is fantastic. I also have Donkey Konga 2 but haven't opened it yet. It's not suppose be as good as the original, but the original is fantastic and definitely should be on your list if you like rhythm games. I'm probably in the minority on it, though, in that I don't really like to play Donkey Konga multiplayer, because the mics (there to pick up claps) pick up other players all the time. No amount of playing with the sensitivity really solves the problem. I find that frustrating. However, it's a really fun single-player game too. I've also got Donkey Kong Jungle Beat but also unopened (I'm planning to give it to my kids this xmas.)

[quote name='crunchewy']I've also got Donkey Kong Jungle Beat but also unopened (I'm planning to give it to my kids this xmas.)[/quote]

It's very fun! Very original, hard to compare to anything else. They will really enjoy it, I think. My kids played it a LOT, along with the other 2 bongo games.

picture.php

[quote name='Iron Clad Burrito']Personally, I think you're missing:
SSX Tricky
Resident Evil 4, assuming you don't already have it for Wii (and you may as well get 3 and Code: Veronica X to complete the collection)
Yes, go on and get SSB Melee. It's awesome and a half.
Super Mario Strikers
Ikaruga, if you can find an inexpensive copy
Soul Calibur II -- not a GC exclusive, but GC was the best of the 3.[/quote]

Have RE4 for ps2 and wii and really enjoyed the game. Finally decided to pick up RE3. With the 30% off it is about the same price as the ps1 version, but I got GS credit to spend. Super Mario Strikers is really fun. As for Ikaruga, it's still too expensive to get a GC copy so might go to xbox live.

[quote name='crunchewy']SSX Trick is better on the PS2, though I say this going almost entirely on reviews. I've only played it on the PS2, but I can see that if they just did a straight port without thinking about how to change the control scheme for the Gamecube (which they apparently didn't for Tricky - they supposedly did a better job with the later games), then it would be less than ideal on the Cube.

Note that The Legend of Zelda Four Swords is not going to be quite the same when played on the Wii since it isn't possible to hook up GBAs to the Wii. I have no direct experience with the game (again), but my older son and his cousin and a friend are having a blast with this game, but playing on a GC and with 3 GBAs hooked up. It doesn't seem like it would be the same without the GBAs.

I do have direct experience with Ikaruga. It's a solid game and has some unique aspects, but it is a shooter, so whether or not you should pick that up depends on whether or not you like shooters. I had the game for a little while and enjoyed it, but then decided that I'd rather sell it for a profit and pick it up again later, going on the presumption that the Xbox 360 download release of the game would lower the price of the GC version. I haven't checked lately to see if that has actually happened, though. At some point I definitely want to get it again regardless.

Donkey Konga is fantastic. I also have Donkey Konga 2 but haven't opened it yet. It's not suppose be as good as the original, but the original is fantastic and definitely should be on your list if you like rhythm games. I'm probably in the minority on it, though, in that I don't really like to play Donkey Konga multiplayer, because the mics (there to pick up claps) pick up other players all the time. No amount of playing with the sensitivity really solves the problem. I find that frustrating. However, it's a really fun single-player game too. I've also got Donkey Kong Jungle Beat but also unopened (I'm planning to give it to my kids this xmas.)[/quote]

I have to say so far Donkey Konga series are the "best" games in my collection for only one reason: wife likes very much and we now have a game to play together. She couldn't believe I bought the bongos for $3 each.:)

Thanks for the info on Zelda Four Swords. I didn't know that GBA hookup may be required to enjoy the game. Anyone played it on wii and want to share the experience?

[quote name='allen9917']I have to say so far Donkey Konga series are the "best" games in my collection for only one reason: wife likes very much and we now have a game to play together. She couldn't believe I bought the bongos for $3 each.:)

Thanks for the info on Zelda Four Swords. I didn't know that GBA hookup may be required to enjoy the game. Anyone played it on wii and want to share the experience?[/quote]

I just finished with my friends actually. We took forever to finish, since we're all graduate students, and don't have a ton of free time.

It was a lot of fun. Totally worth it, IMO. We played on cheap GBAs, not GBA SPs, which did make it hard to see the gameboy sometimes. I guess, if you have more specific questions, LMK.

My wife and I just started FF:CC with another friend, and after one session, the friend is hooked! We played Tuesday evening (?) and she wants to play again saturday. :)

Depending on how this goes, I might invest in XML, Bauldar's Gate, or something similar that doesn't require GBAs.

[quote name='crunchewy']Note that The Legend of Zelda Four Swords is not going to be quite the same when played on the Wii since it isn't possible to hook up GBAs to the Wii. I have no direct experience with the game (again), but my older son and his cousin and a friend are having a blast with this game, but playing on a GC and with 3 GBAs hooked up. It doesn't seem like it would be the same without the GBAs.
[/QUOTE]

It's not? I've played Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles with no problems on my Wii. I'd be surprised if Four Swords didn't work as well. I'll try this out tonight and report back.

[quote name='theflicker']It's not? I've played Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles with no problems on my Wii. I'd be surprised if Four Swords didn't work as well. I'll try this out tonight and report back.[/quote]
Don't bother, it works just fine. The GC/GBA cables work perfectly on wii.

bread's done
Back