My 360 rattles. Is this normal?

epmoto200

CAGiversary!
Hey guys,

1st post but have been lurking for a while. I just received an Xbox360 Elite as a gift from a Microsoft tech conference. As I was unpacking the unit, I notice there is something rattling around inside the unit. It sounds like a loose screw or like something small has broken off, but the rattle seems isolated to the BACK LEFT corner of the unit (the side opposite the power supply plug).

I just want to know if this is normal? Do any of your units also "rattle" when picked up and rotated or lightly shaken? This worries me b/c I own a PC DVD-rom drive that had a similar kind of rattle... after a few weeks if use with no issues, the tray developed eject problems.... turns out the rattling was due to broken gear teeth that got worse over time.

FYI. My unit boots up just fine, although I have not gone through the Xbox Setup screens yet. I'm just worried... if it's a loose screw, it could short out the mobo. On the other hand, if all 360's do this, I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to get a replacement though the 3rd party mail order fulfillment house Microsoft used to ship my unit (Helm Inc.) Yeah, that's right, Microsoft used a company that prints Automotive/Motorcycle repair manuals to purchase & ship my Xbox 360?!?!?

I realize my unit is under warranty directly through Microsoft. But if I send it to them, I'm not 100% guaranteed to get the same unit back or a NEW unit right? At least that's what the FAQ says.... I might get a non-Falcon refurb which I really really don't want. Yeah, I know I got this thing for free, so I shouldn't really care. But 360's are so prone to breaking, I'd like to try to minimize all possible vectors of failure beyond the now commonplace RRODs & DVD-Rom drive failures.

BTW, my 360 Elite is really old, but it's definitely a Falcon.
Lot: 743
Team: CSON
MFG: 2007-10-30

Any feedback? Thx

Your Xbox 360 should not rattle. I have had to send back my xbox 360 pro, 3 times, due to RRoD. The first time, they sent me a re-furb, I could tell from the scratches on the side of the unit. The 2nd and 3rd units were new. I had to re-register the units so I could keep under the warranty for 3 years, and the 3rd one I just ended up putting the name under my wife and it showed up as a NEW unit, and extended my warranty from the day I got it out for another 3 years for RRoD or 1 year other.

The point is, you will most likely get a re-furb or new unit, it's kind of like a gamble game you have to play if you want to send your unit back. But it definitely should never rattle.

Where is the rattle located? Is it just staying in one location or sound like something is rolling around the entire inside of the case? If it stays in one location, I'm pretty sure that's the sensor that determines if the console is vertical or horizontal. Mine has a noise, but I'm not sure if I would call it a rattle.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 360 has always rattled when picking it up. Everyone I had did the same thing. My last replacement 360 has lasted me for 1.5 years, so I'm not complaining. I'm thinking it may be the disc drive, since mine makes a cranking sound once eject a game.

It's really hard to isolate the exact location of the rattle. It is definitely located near the REAR of the unit. But I really can't determine if it's closer to the center where the exhaust fans are located or if it's on the Back/Left corner (HDMI port side). The rattle seems to be staying in ONE LOCATION and not rolling around... It almost sounds like a screw & nut that's only been tightened 40% down allowing the screw to banging up and down.

But if this sound is from the orientation sensor, THAT WOULD BE GREAT! If the sensor is a mechanical switch, this would certainly make sense. But if it's a fluid filled sensor or if it's electrical, it would be silent correct? Does anyone know for sure?

S0undwav3 thinks my Xbox definitely SHOULD NOT rattle, but JP0213 & Mana Knight believe the sound is probably normal.... although JP thinks its probably the sensor and Mana thinks it's probably the Disc Drive. The comforting thing is that Mana has had a rattle with multiple units, so I'm starting to believe this "sound" is just normal.

I talked to the company that shipped the unit. They claimed they don't know anything about this order and can't help me although they acknowledge shipping me the unit. Instead they pawned me off on yet another company. Said I needed to contact them instead but didn't give me any contact info besides an email address.

I'm probably going to called India... uhh... I mean Xbox Support and ask if the sensor rattle is normal.

If u guys have any additional feedback, it would be appreciated. Oh and thanks all for your help so far. This is really a great community!

[quote name='jp0213']This is from another forum:

It's the vertical indicator sliding back and forth.[/quote]

Hey thanks man! Good to know. I'm on the phone with MS right now and they think it's the same thing... so nothing to worry about. I'm relieved. :applause:

The only problem now is that they are only giving a 6 month warranty! :cry: While speaking with the CSR, she had me register the unit and they are basing my warranty off the MFG date, not the date I received the unit! This seems strange to me. I mean, like you gave an Xbox to someone as a gift, shouldn't that person get the full benefit of a 1 yr warranty even though it was a gift??? This doesn't make sense to me, but again, I guess I shouldn't look a gift-horse in the mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well they only base RROD 3-year warranty after the manufacture date it isn't surprising. I've seen in some instances you are required to have the receipt to show the date of purchase and they will do the warranty from that point.

bread's done
Back