My backlog is massive, but I keep buying more games. Need CAG Anonymous.

[quote name='Rave Child']Does anybody have a DVD/Blu-Ray backlog, as well? [/QUOTE]

Sadly I do. I went nuts buying HBO series (Rome, Deadwood, Pacific, John Adams) for half off in December from Best Buy. I figured they would be good hibernation material, but never got around to watching them. Now that it's summer I don't want to stay inside watching TV. Yet I still surf CAG. My life is full of contradictions.

Cripes. Some of you guys have issues. Without counting, I think I have maybe 15 (20 at the most) games unplayed or unfinished.

Im taking a week off at the end of july for my bday. the only thing I will be doing is gaming. working on many titles I have barely started... crysis 2, vanquish, dragon age 2, dead space 2, and many more...

[quote name='bardockkun']I Partook in them for the first time last year and it felt like super Christmas. As in first time I bought 28 or so games driving around and only spent like $75 or so total. It was one of those "drunk off my own madness" moments.

Though in the very least I've beaten 31 games this year so far (counting DLC as well), only problem is for every one I beat I always get about 4 or 5 more to take it's place.[/QUOTE]

I would have done the same I'm sure. I've only finished 21 games this year. The real killer in my backlog is most of it is RPG, which takes waaay to long to get into and finish.

[quote name='shieryda']Cripes. Some of you guys have issues.[/QUOTE]
I CAN STOP WHENEVER I WANT! I Just you know, don't have to...

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I would have done the same I'm sure. I've only finished 21 games this year. The real killer in my backlog is most of it is RPG, which takes waaay to long to get into and finish.[/QUOTE]
I Just bought Final Fantasy XIII from the last B1G1 sale and I don't even want to think about the PS2 RPG backlog I have as is. I Think I'm about at that point where I don't have the patience to grind like I did way back when.

I think I've pretty much finished up my shorter, single-player games. Now I just have a couple games I'm co-opping with a buddy (Army of 2: The 40th Day, Lost Planet 2, GRAW 2), and the longer RPGs (Oblivion, Eternal Sonata, Fallout: NV) and the never-ending Rock Band and Guitar Hero games.

Since DVD/BR backlogs were mentioned , I know its not exactly on topic but I thought I'd ask for some thoughts anyway since its somewhat related.

So I have a bunch of TV shows on DVD/BR. A lot of these same shows are available on Netflix (and other sites like Hulu but I'm going to focus on Netflix). Since I have access to Netflix on my phone , tomorrow my 3DS and my various game consoles , would it be more productive to watch a show I have on both to try to get through it faster , or to watch different shows to get more watched?

Weird question I know , but something I've just been pondering a bit.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Since DVD/BR backlogs were mentioned , I know its not exactly on topic but I thought I'd ask for some thoughts anyway since its somewhat related.

So I have a bunch of TV shows on DVD/BR. A lot of these same shows are available on Netflix (and other sites like Hulu but I'm going to focus on Netflix). Since I have access to Netflix on my phone , tomorrow my 3DS and my various game consoles , would it be more productive to watch a show I have on both to try to get through it faster , or to watch different shows to get more watched?

Weird question I know , but something I've just been pondering a bit.[/QUOTE]
I have that same problem. I watched through all of 30 Rock on Netflix/Hulu+, and just sold off my DVD sets. I've done the same with a few other shows, and I also watch things that I normally wouldn't buy (especially on Hulu+). I'm not sure if there's a collector in you that wants to keep your tv show sets, but I'm finding it more and more unnecessary to keep my dvd sets when I can stream them to my television in roughly the same picture quality.

So my recommendation is to watch some of what you have on both so you can get through your backlog and sell off your dvd sets (if you so choose), but also watch some shows that you've been thinking of trying out. That way you can watch them on Netflix without feeling the urge to buy them as dvd/br sets.

Damn I need help, I still have at least 30 games to beat and I went and got infamous 2 the hero edition because it was a good deal, same with my pre order of Catherine CE, oh yeah and Alice (actually playing that now).

[quote name='elguluso']Damn I need help, I still have at least 30 games to beat and I went and got infamous 2 the hero edition because it was a good deal, same with my pre order of Catherine CE, oh yeah and Alice (actually playing that now).[/QUOTE]

Don't feel bad, I have like 100+ games that I haven't beat yet LOL.

I have like 100+ games still to play. I'll get to it eventually. Not really worried about it. My purchases have slowed to a crawl anyway. Bought way too many when I first joined CAG. Plus, I actually don't play games that often but when I do it's nice to have a selection.

The huge selection is a double edged sword.

It's good to think of a type of game you want to play and have multiple options for that genre.

It's bad when you just feel overwhelmed by so many games that you can't decide what to play.

[quote name='blindinglights']The huge selection is a double edged sword.

It's good to think of a type of game you want to play and have multiple options for that genre.

It's bad when you just feel overwhelmed by so many games that you can't decide what to play.[/QUOTE]
That's usually my problem. I don't know if I should play the shortest game, the most recently purchased game, that game that cost me the most money, the AAA game, or what. Usually I go for the most recently purchased or the AAA game, but I've avoided rpgs (my favorite genre) like the plague because I can't invest the time it takes to beat one. But yeah, when there are too many choices, it can be hard to decide what to play/watch next.

I have maybe 1-2 games. I see no point in keeping 99% of games once I beat them. How often will you go back and play a game for another 10-30 hours? At least multiplayer games (Left 4 dead) make some sense. I Buy, play, sell. And now that I have Gamefly, I'll avoid the buying unless they are must owns.

[quote name='shieryda']Cripes. Some of you guys have issues.[/QUOTE]

No YOU shut up! *cries*

Oh uh you mean about excessively buying games, ah okay got it...

-------------------------------------

Well my backlog isn't as big as many of you but it is still unruly. I think about 60 something games without including last gen games, I'm slowly but surely working on completing games bringing my backlog down at a decent pace.

About a week ago I had added 3 more games from a BBV clearance.

:ps3: Bayonetta $9.99
:ps3: God of War Collection $14.99
:wii: Super Mario Galaxy 2 $24.99

I've been meaning to get these games for a while and I just couldn't resist 'em at those prices.

I would say I've bought more games since joining CAG but at the same time I haven't bought games at MSRP (for the most part) so I think I've been getting the most bang for my buck.

Went and added the :360: Legendary Edition of Halo Reach to my collection. Damn that thing takes up a ton of space. Couldn't resist for $60, esp when BB gave $25.50 for the trade-in of the standard ver.

Past week, bought too much DLC:
:360: Torchlight
:360: Gatling Gears
:ps3: Pixeljunk Shooter 2

Last edited by a moderator:
If I take an honest look at my collection, I see that I have more games than I would want to play even if I were given unlimited time. I think that I actually enjoy shopping for games more than I enjoy playing them now. So, yes, I have issues.

But when you consider the universe of issues that can be had, this is pretty mild, right?

Damn, after readin' through most of the thread, I don't feel bad at all about my backlog. Here's mine at the moment:

PS2
- Okami
- Beyond Good & Evil
- Jak II
- Onimusha 3

PS3
- Infamous
- Loco Roco
- Wipeout HD
- Spider-Man: SD
- Enslaved
- Sonic 4
- Hard Corps: Uprising
- Dead Space
- Hustle Kings
- LittleBigPlanet

I felt like my backlog was under control until I took advantage of them Welcome Back games. I don't even know if I should officially add those, but havin' them included will keep from buyin' anything else.

...ok, I did just buy Hard Corps: Uprising last week. That price was just too good to pass up w/ PS+ lol. I won't be buyin' anymore games until this list is knocked out though, the PS3 portion anyway. Don't know if I'll ever finish those PS2 games. Haven't even started Jak II.

Not as bad as most of you guys, makes me feel a bit better.

Unplayed/Hardly Played:

DS:
Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice
Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth
DQ:IX

PS2: MGS Essentials

Xbox 360:
Arcania: Gothic 4
Batman: Srkham Asylum
Crackdown
Deadly Premonition
Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga
Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition
Final Fantasy XIII
Lost Planet
Madden 10
MTV Vs. ATV: Reflex
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Tales Of Vesperia
UFC: 2009
Wet

One of the biggest problems is when I want to play a new game, I'll look at all my unplayed games, get overwhelmed, and end up watching tv or playing something I've already logged hundreds of hours into.

[quote name='Rave Child']That's usually my problem. I don't know if I should play the shortest game, the most recently purchased game, that game that cost me the most money, the AAA game, or what. Usually I go for the most recently purchased or the AAA game, but I've avoided rpgs (my favorite genre) like the plague because I can't invest the time it takes to beat one. But yeah, when there are too many choices, it can be hard to decide what to play/watch next.[/QUOTE]

I have this problem too, which one should I play first? If I bought it on release I should probably play it before the value goes down, fortunately I don't buy many games on release (if maybe 1-2 a year) due to the massive backlog. Should I play the shortest game first so I can resell it and get money to buy more games, or perhaps the shortest game turns into a much longer game than I expected and I end up spending more time on it instead of moving along to the next game. Should I start a longer game since its one I really want to play? I have about 20 unplayed PS2 games. I can borrow Wii games from the library and I want to borrow a few more which means they have to be played in a week so I can return them since they have to be returned in a week which then puts me further back on my backlog...

I've been playing the games that have the highest trade values, and also don't plan to keep in my collection (Dead Rising 2). Unfortunately, some stuff I REALLY want to get around to playing, but I plan to keep (Mass Effect 2, Dead Space) gets neglected.

I am now buying games for systems I don't even have, I have a collection of about 10 xbox 360 games and no xbox system! I plan to buy one during the holidays when the deals are better.

My backlog is enormous too, and I admit, I'm collecting/hoarding Wii, PSP and DS games, thinking it's the end of those system's lives, I won't be able to find the games again, or if I do, they will skyrocket in price.

Dead Space 1
Bioshock 2

Liked Dead Space 1, but got stuck on the asteroid part and quit. I need a friend to help me get through it before I can go on.
Bioshock 2 I got for PS3 for $7.50 from Target I still haven't ripped into yet.

I feel a little better now, this thread might of helped me too, but in the last 3 weeks I did play Portal 2 and Dragon age 2. I think this thread really made me aim toward getting to my better games.

Xbox

Spiderman 2
Hitman: Contracts
Fable: The Lost Chapters

Xbox 360

Dragon Age: Origins
Vanquish
Burnout Paradise
Borderlands
Lego Star Wars Complete Saga

PS2

Fatal Frame 2
Fatal Frame 3
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
Kingdom Hearts

PS3

The Sly Collection (finished the first one though)

Gamecube

Metroid Prime 2

Wii

New Super Mario Bros
Metroid Prime 3
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

The list was way worse before. I usually wait and tackle a bunch of games when I'm out of school. I also stop visiting the Deals forum when I feel like I'm getting a bit out of hand and it works for me.

Thanks to going out of town for work over the last month or so I've bought almost a dozen titles from Sears on clearance, including Dark Void(I know I know), Prototype, Xmen Origins Wolverine, Alpha Protocol, Chronicles Of Riddick, Rogue Warrior and many more.

Besides that I bought Dungeon Siege III from Best Buy for $25 by stacking the $15 off @Gamer coupon with the sale price of $40.

Plus I just bought Bulletstorm from EA's sale a couple of weeks ago AND I have Catherine inbound from Amazon.

Couple those all with my already burgeoning backlog and I have enough to keep me amused till the PS5 comes out.

[quote name='SaraAB']I am now buying games for systems I don't even have, I have a collection of about 10 xbox 360 games and no xbox system! I plan to buy one during the holidays when the deals are better.[/QUOTE]

I right there with you... I bought Record of Argarest Wars for the :360: just for the novelty. also bought Deathsmiles because one day I will have a 360 and I want all the shmups. I see it as future proofing the collection.:lol:

after getting to about 25 not counting steam stuff, i stopped doing it

i pretty much keep about 8ish active games on my plate (keeping some variety in there, + mp) and dont buy any more till im with one. think that works best for me , have some backlog but not a huge one. :)

i do buy a lot of arcade games now past those 8ish games but i actually play em lol(actually probably going to get me a 3ds because i enjoy those types of games a lot). also sometimes make exceptions to the rules if its a really good MP game that my friends might be playing. past that tho i really dont get that hug backlogs anymore. As much as it hurt me i didn't even go for LA nor at launch so i think i'm doing better than i use to. :)

[quote name='kermit036']I right there with you... I bought Record of Argarest Wars for the :360: just for the novelty. also bought Deathsmiles because one day I will have a 360 and I want all the shmups. I see it as future proofing the collection.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Regardless I think its a lot cheaper to buy the games now than it will be to track down used copies during the holidays when used copies are harder to find and more expensive. I definitely want to get the Xbox 360 system during the holidays and I don't want to have to pay full price for my games just so I have something to play on my new system. I am getting the first bid on a lot of games I want on ebay thus snagging them for very low prices, sometimes 75% off of what GS charges and usually at least 50% off what GS charges.

Going to be interesting to see what happens to the PSP, the games are cheap now but since the PSP original/2000/3000 are ultimately the only models that will be able to play UMD games what will happen in the future? Not every game will be available on the PSN either or in some form digitally.

[quote name='bh47']Unfortunately, some stuff I REALLY want to get around to playing, but I plan to keep (Mass Effect 2, Dead Space) gets neglected.[/QUOTE]
Two of the very best games of this generation (just to make you feel worse :lol:).

I've actually made an effort to pull out some neglected PS2/Wii/portable games lately. My gamerscore may be stagnating but it feels good to dent the backlog.

I am guilty of buying games for systems I don't own though. Bought :ps3: Valkyria Chronicles and :ps3: Eternal Sonata on the off chance that they might get too rare and expensive later, even though I have no idea when/if I'll own a PS3. I probably owned a dozen PSP games before I actually bought the system.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Thanks to going out of town for work over the last month or so I've bought almost a dozen titles from Sears on clearance, including Dark Void(I know I know), Prototype, Xmen Origins Wolverine, Alpha Protocol, Chronicles Of Riddick, Rogue Warrior and many more.[/QUOTE]

Dark Void?
Rogue Warrior?

*slaps face*

You're never gonna play those are you? I hope you're doing it for the flip, although I can't imagine them having good TIV anywhere. Ok I shouldn't talk. I was tempted to keep a copy of Blood Stone $10 instead of flipping to BB, then I talked myself out of it.
I've been better with not-backlogging after starting this thread, recently only bought Uncharted 2 GOTY to get the DLC and flipping it back for full credit, and recent XBL sales on Mass Effect 2 DLC (haven't even started this game yet).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer'] Chronicles Of Riddick.[/QUOTE]

One of my fav games of last gen.
Beat it on pc, and xbox, and have the 360 one as well.

It's pretty sad when I consider two weeks (and going) of not buying games to be a victory for me and the growing backlog. Though counting DLC I've at least beaten 38 games this year so far so at least making some small leeway.

My backlog is 900+ games I have. Only 687 unbeaten. I'm still have a lot more to add. My backloggery helps a little. My ps2 seems to be dieing so I going to have trouble there.

I've done pretty well this year. I've beaten Crysis 2, Homefront, Medal of Honor, and am deep into Lords of Shadow. I had put LoS down for a few months, now I can't wait to play it :).

I have a backlog that consists of maybe 40 games?I only play short games,I have soo many RPG's,I haven't even started any.Off the top of my head,here are the RPG's,I have yet to play. XBOX 360: Dragon Age Ultimate Edition(Sealed),Mass Effect,Mass Effect 2(Sealed),Eternal Sonata(Sealed),Magna Carta 2,Tales Of Vesperia(Need to replay),Resonance Of Fate,The Last Remnant,and Fallout New Vegas.DS: Dragon Age 9.PS3: Final Fantasy 13,and others,just can't remember them.Also,It's worst when you going for competition. All achievements or trophies.

I had this game hoarding problem really bad a few years when EB to FYE flips were $2-27 and Toys R US was giving away free green tagged games. I managed to amass a collection of over 1000 modern games (not counting my older stuff) and never even touched half of them. They just sat on my shelf and I kept buying more.

Eventually, I rediscovered fighting games thanks to Xbox Live and mutiplayer games in general. Street Fighter, Halo, marvel vs Capcom, Puzzle Fighter, and lots of other great multiplayer games I was actually playing constantly for years. It came to the point where single player games just got dull or I didn't feel like grinding orbs to artificially pad out a game. I ended up selling the vast majority of my modern gaming collection and haven't looked back. These days I usually buy a game and if I beat it in a few days (especially if I get all achievements in an xbox game) I trade it in or sell it off to fund my next purchase. No sense in keeping something, no matter how great, if it's just going to sit on my shelf. if I really want to play it again, I can always grab it a few months or years down the road at a cheaper price. Very few games are actually "rare" and even fewer are worth buying.

AHHHH

Damn you Gamefly and your sales!
The prices rarely get lower than this. Couldn't resist.

:360: Bulletstorm - $9.99
:360: Spider-man: Shattered Dimensions - $9.99
:360: Dead Space 2 - $12.99

It's impossible to not have a backlog because of this site. Good thing mine is only 15-20 games, small compared to some here. And you save so much that 5-6 games from here would cost one purchase at retail!

So what do you consider to be part of your backlog? I have around 300 NES games, but I really don't consider them part of the backlog as they're more for quickie amusement than something you're actually expected to finish. I more or less only count current or last gen.

I Consider anything that I've not beaten (including NES games) to be part of the backlog. Though it's taken off if it's part of a collection or remade. This despite the fact I know I'll never get around to alot of them or beat majority of them (Ninja Gaiden games, I'm looking at you). In anycase *ahem*

OH GOD THE BACKLOG! As of right now recent purchases from this week include...

-Gears of War 3: Epic Edition
-Duke Nukem: Forever
-Two Worlds II
-Red Faction: Armageddon
-Outland
-Blade Kitten
-Trouble Witches NEO

I Just hope the Friday XBLA sale sucks for my sake.

[quote name='aptanor']So what do you consider to be part of your backlog? I have around 300 NES games, but I really don't consider them part of the backlog as they're more for quickie amusement than something you're actually expected to finish. I more or less only count current or last gen.[/QUOTE]

Any game I intend to beat that I still have not. Otherwise, like you said, it's just for amusement purposes.

I've actually been paring down my backlog. I came to the realization that between my family and work, I don't have time to complete the amount of games that I have. Only problem is, I got rid of my shorter games and kept the monster titles that will take up a ton of time. My current backlog is

Fallout 3 DLC(just have a handful of missions left on the main game)
Fallout NV
Oblivion GOTY
KOTOR 1-2
Dragon Age 1-2
Mass Effect 1-2
Orange Box(Just the Half Life's, beat Portal)
Lego Indy/Batman(My wife will actually play with me)
Alpha Protocol
Alan Wake
Blue Dragon

and a few shorter shooters that I got for cheap and aren't worth trading away(Rainbox Six 3, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon all for XBox, Rainbox Six Vegas, COD2)

And when Skyrim comes out, that will go to the top

[quote name='rustyrage']It's impossible to not have a backlog because of this site. Good thing mine is only 15-20 games, small compared to some here. And you save so much that 5-6 games from here would cost one purchase at retail![/QUOTE]

I wish I had a backlog that small! I'm up to 475 now!

I noticed that RPGs tend to be the main crutch in most ppl's backlogs.

I have the same problem, just the thought of the time investment to finish off 1 RPG makes me hesitant to start it. I tend to polish off the shorter games first so I can trade them in while the TIV is decent. I really want to play Lost Odyssey, Dragon Age 1, Mass Effect 2, Tales of Vesperia... (the list goes on).

I Think the problem I have with most RPG's is I get so easily sucked in. Like literally I can spend hours in one and not care about much else (basically thinking of layouts and weapons and what quests to tackle next). So it's kinda hard to put it down and the fact that the average time is about 30 hours for majority of them doesn't help.

bread's done
Back