My Best Friend Died Today. My Dog...

ashtonreeves

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
he was normal and happy in the last week. but 5-6 days ago he looked little bit sick. me and my father took him to the vet, fever was what he had the time (that was 4 days ago). yesterday my father called me and said he doesn't look good. so we took him again. he couldn't walk or stand up. he was so weak. then they took a sample of his blood and asked us to take those to a testing lab. but they told us we have to wait another day to get the results. but there was a doctor my father knows. he gave us the results in couple of hours.

it said his kidneys are failing. cause various reasons, they couldn't say for sure. they said chances are very very low for my dog. and asked us to bring him everyday to treat him. this morning I was at my girl-friend and my father and some other guy who works for my father took the dog to the Vet. around 11:30 AM I received a call from my father and said he died just after they returned home after today's treatment.

and I regret I couldn't be there to hold his hand when he died. I couldn't even show him my face. I know he thought the world of me and I failed him. I knows he forgives me. but I can't forgive my self. I was busy with other things. I thought he'll live and I can go to be with him in the evening. worst mistake I have ever done in my life.

I really don't know how to move forward with my life now. the feeling. seems like nothing I have can ever replace him. he was always there for me. but I couldn't be there for him when he took his final breath. I would give anything to hold him again.

when they treated him last night I prayed to god or who ever out there to take my years and give those to my dog. in the end they took my best friends years and put those in me. I was also very sick this time of last year. and he was always there for me. always. I moved away from home. he ran away and found me. he never let me be alone.

today goes down as the hardest day of my life. feels like nothing else matters for me. no matter how I miss him I know he's not coming back. I couldn't even say good bye to my friend.

I wish I get to see him on the other side...

* He was just 5 years old

Last edited by a moderator:
I carried him home last night after treatment from Vet's office. when we reached home, I placed him safely on the floor. after that he looked up to me and gave me a happy smile. that's the last time we saw each other.

sorry for your loss  i know what your talking about   not being there when your pet dies... I had a cat die  back in 1999   i knew she was sick and  i told her i would take her to the vet   that night   cause i had to go to work... came home and found her dead in front of her water bowl (she had cancer so there was little they could do for her)  

its even harder when it comes out of nowhere..  lost  2 dogs one in  1993  right before  christmas.   We were all eating food  (ate hot dogs that night) and went and got some ice cream.  well the dog started choking  and we though maybe  she had  something caught ...  We  took them to the vets the next day   thinking it was nothing big  just to find out that her  throat  was colpasing   and  we had to put her down cause the so called vet said there was nothing we could do for her... that was a very hard night cause  all she wanted to do was come home with us... it took 3   shots to finally put her to sleep  (cause she kept fighting  it  cause she just wanted to go home with us) 

then in 2008  my other little dog    came walking about  into the living room one night and just shit and pissed all over the floor  and fell over... i rushed them to the dog hospital to find out they had a major growth in their  gut that  ripped   and was bleeding...nothing could be done for her     they said put her down there or take them home to die... I  took them home and she died on our  bed  around an hour later it was  heart breaking just sitting there petting her   knowing there is nothing you can do for them...

i know it hurts now but in time it will slowly get better.... i have all of their pictures all over my house and they are buried in my back yard...

heres a poem  that is very  sad but  you will see them again 

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. 
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. 
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... 
Author unknown...

again    sorry for your loss 

Sorry to hear that and I hope you can move on. I'm sure your best friend wouldn't want you to be so depressed. You still have those memories so cherish them.

Have a wonderful day.

Thoughts and prayers out to you-- losing a pet is never easy my friend. We grow emotionally attached to them for sure.

Oh man.  Ashton my heart goes out to you & your family.  I've lost pets due to injury, illness, or suddenly without explanation.  Just give yourself time to feel whatever emotions pop up.  Try not to be hard on yourself.  And remember the good times.

We lost a wonderful cat named Sora about two years ago.  She was perfectly fine, but then her breathing became very ragged.  We took her to the vet, and it turned out she had cancer in her chest cavity that was leaking fluid into her chest cavity pressing on her lungs.  We took her every week for the next two or so weeks to get the fluid removed.  Well, one night her legs stopped working.  We tried to call the vet to get her to put her down to stop her suffering (since she was going to die soon anyway), but her phone was off (she has a policy that she has a 24 phone line for emergencies).  Her idiot husband had forgotten to turn her phone back on.  My wife stayed up lying with her in my wife's closet for the entire night.  Neither got any sleep.  Our vet was very sorry that she wasn't able to help us that night, and both my wife, and Sora had to suffer all night.  She was also five, btw.

When we were going to adopt her, they said she had a respiratory infection.  I theorize she probably had that cancer her whole life, since she seemed to have asthma her whole life.

I went through the same thing a year ago with my dog. He was only 7, and should have had a good 15 years in him. I feel your pain man. Got any pictures?

Oh, we went out and adopted a new cat the next door to help my wife deal with the loss.  Her name is Tomoyo.  Sora was a beautiful tabico with every cat color on her.  Tomoyo is an adorable little white and grey cat.  And we also have Mickey, the most annoying cat on the planet.  All 9 pounds of his orange tabby fat-ass lovable self.

thank you for reply's everyone. it means a lot. @ slidecage that's a beautiful poem. I hope I can meet him again. thank you.

our house is not the same now. everyone feels alone. my mother is broken. I couldn't even sleep last night. feels like I can't even do anything.

I will light a candle for him everyday, for the rest of my life. I regret not having a photo of him. my girl-friends sister took some photos of him I think. don't remember where I put my memory card after my previous phone stopped working. as soon as I get a photo I will make a necklace and put his photo inside of it. he was black, german shepherd.

I really don't want to forget him as the time goes by. I know I will buy another dog someday. but I don't want to lose his place in my heart. I miss my buddy

bread's done
Back