my box is flashing 3 red lights HELP!

minqqq

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
ok well i have a problem with my 360 and was wondering if anyone else ran into this problem. well right now when i turn it on it just flashes 3 red lights around the "ring". it started tonight when i was playing mortal kombat. everything was going fine, but in the start of one of the fights the game just started lagging. so we played another match to see if it would still lag, and it did. so we stopped playing and i turned the box off. i come back to play PDZ, pressed the eject button to switch games and the ring just started flashing 3 red lights. does anyone know what to do? the manual only talks about 2 and 4 flashing lights around the ring, not 3 and i'm on hold with tech support for 30 mins. can anyone help me out?

I get the same problem occasionally. I figure, my system still works 99% of the time, and I would rather keep playing my system now, and when it gets worse, I will RMA it.

The manual just says something like "If there is any other combination of red lights, it means there is a serious hardware error, and to contact MS support".
Let me know what tech support says.

From what I heard it might be the power adapter. If it gets too hot, it causes the ring of light to blink red. What this means is that you need to move your power supply to a more ventilated area, and it is not recommended to have it on carpet. Hope this helps.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']From what I heard it might be the power adapter. If it gets too hot, it causes the ring of light to blink red. What this means is that you need to move your power supply to a more ventilated area, and it is not recommended to have it on carpet. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, but you are slightly wrong. There are different codes for different things. For example, I think 2 flashing red lights means the power supply is overheating. Three flashing lights from what I read in the manual is a generic "oh no we have a major problem" type of error. I actually got this error the very first time I booted up my 360, talk about being worried! Once I shut it off and turned it back on, it worked fine.

* Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Xbox 360
* Caution: Xbox 360 may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
* Xbox 360 Contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.
* Do not use Xbox 360 on concrete.

Discontinue use of Xbox 360 if any of the following occurs:

* Itching
* Vertigo
* Dizziness
* Tingling in extremities
* Loss of balance or coordination
* Slurred speech
* Temporary blindness
* Profuse sweating
* Heart palpitations

If Xbox 360 begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.

Xbox 360 may stick to certain types of skin.

When not in use, Xbox 360 should be returned to its special container and kept under refrigeration...

Failure to do so relieves the makers of Xbox 360, Microsoft Incorporated, and its parent company Global Chemical Unlimited, of any and all liability.

Ingredients of Xbox 360 include an unknown glowing substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

Xbox 360 has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is also being dropped by our warplanes on Iraq.

Do not taunt Xbox 360.

Xbox 360 comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Xbox 360!

ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES!

I think that means the 360 is going into "turbo mode" and that from now on, it will work better and faster than before. Congratulations on unlocking turbo mode on your new 360. Don't worry, it doesn't mean you should send it back to MS and exercise your warranty, so don't even think about doing that.

I heard that 3 blinking lights means an internal error. An issue that results in you having to send your 360 in to get repaired. Ive heard a few other people have this problem also. The forums over on xbox.com had a whole topic about this

[quote name='Sweet Tooth']I heard that 3 blinking lights means an internal error. An issue that results in you having to send your 360 in to get repaired. Ive heard a few other people have this problem also. The forums over on xbox.com had a whole topic about this[/QUOTE]

I have had the same problem. After standing my Xbox 360 vertically and putting my power supply on a different area (i had it on my carpet originally) I have no more blinking red lights or problems. Make sure the Xbox 360 is vertical and not horizontal.

Your screwed! You should toss that fire prone b!tc4 out the door quick. Next your going to need a carbon resistant radiation suit. Start by cleaning everything with Simple Green, whatever doesnt come clean with that is fapped so just toss it too. Finnaly cut your hands off to prevent spreading.

Hope that helps.

i was actually using live tech support online and he ended up just telling me that i had a serious internal problem and i have to call the hotline to send it away.

"i was actually using live tech support online and he ended up just telling me that i had a serious internal problem and i have to call the hotline to send it away."

Just like i said.

And that horizontal/vertical talk is all a bunch of nonsense. Ive had mine on horizontal for pushing 45-50 hours and not a single problem. It just depends on how much luck you had at getting a non-defective system on launch. Ive heard stories of the 3 blinking red lights for systems that were in both positions

all she could tell me is i have an internal hardware problem. i have to send it in to get fixed and it should take 5 days. no compensation or anything, she wouldn't even transfer my remaining time from my unused live account to my primary account.

[quote name='JimmieMac']* Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Xbox 360
* Caution: Xbox 360 may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
* Xbox 360 Contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.
* Do not use Xbox 360 on concrete.

Discontinue use of Xbox 360 if any of the following occurs:

* Itching
* Vertigo
* Dizziness
* Tingling in extremities
* Loss of balance or coordination
* Slurred speech
* Temporary blindness
* Profuse sweating
* Heart palpitations

If Xbox 360 begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.

Xbox 360 may stick to certain types of skin.

When not in use, Xbox 360 should be returned to its special container and kept under refrigeration...

Failure to do so relieves the makers of Xbox 360, Microsoft Incorporated, and its parent company Global Chemical Unlimited, of any and all liability.

Ingredients of Xbox 360 include an unknown glowing substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

Xbox 360 has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is also being dropped by our warplanes on Iraq.

Do not taunt Xbox 360.

Xbox 360 comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Xbox 360!

ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES![/QUOTE]

LOL! Xbox 360 is the new "happy fun ball."

[quote name='minqqq']all she could tell me is i have an internal hardware problem. i have to send it in to get fixed and it should take 5 days. no compensation or anything, she wouldn't even transfer my remaining time from my unused live account to my primary account.[/QUOTE]
Consider yourself lucky. Sony makes you pay for shipping and takes 2 weeks.

[quote name='pete5883']Consider yourself lucky. Sony makes you pay for shipping and takes 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]

even within the 1st week of release?

I sent mine in for repairs yesterday and hope to get it back soon.

My games kept freezing on a constant basis. I got write session errors in call of duty 2, game freezes in call of duty2 and project gotham racing. I also got the black screen error and freezing in perfect dark.

I think I have a bad disc drive or hard drive.

Overall disappointed that this happened but hope to get a functioning system next week.

[quote name='flybrione']I sent mine in for repairs yesterday and hope to get it back soon.

My games kept freezing on a constant basis. I got write session errors in call of duty 2, game freezes in call of duty2 and project gotham racing. I also got the black screen error and freezing in perfect dark.

I think I have a bad disc drive or hard drive.

Overall disappointed that this happened but hope to get a functioning system next week.[/QUOTE]

yea my disappointment keeps growing and growing. i just want to exchange my system because it's like i paid full price for what is essentially going to be a refurbished system.

i had the same problem with my 360 after the first week. it worked fine. i moved its location to the rightside of my television so if i am sitting at my desk, my friends dont have to look around me to see the screen. it worked for about two days then i got the dredded 3 ring error. called msft and sent me a box. all i would get was the 3 ring error for about 2 days before recieving the shipment box. in my curiosity, i moved my 360 back to where i originally seated it and viola. its now been running for over 24+ hours with no freezes or hangups. halo 2 works perfect, i watched pratically the entire first season of futurama on it, nhl2k6 on live and nfs:mw on it. i have come to the conclusion that my pc must have given off some sort of interference to it. since it was now closer to it, about 2 and a half feet. now its about 6 feet away and it works perfect again. this is my story and possibly it may be a mistake someone else made, i hope this works for anyone who is also experiencing this error with their box.

bread's done
Back