My Experience: Game Console Skins : Gamecube Console - White

spidey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Well, I thought I'd order the white skin for my GameCube and see how it would look. Indigo was getting boring. :)

Took about three days to get here via UPS Ground. It came packaged in a manila envelope with a stiff cardboard insert to prevent bending.

The Gamecube skin is a glossy material. Very sticky but also easy to remove. It covers the two sides, the front, and the top.

Putting the skin on was a breeze. They have detailed instructions for the Xbox skin online and the general idea carries over to the other two consoles.

While overall it is a good concept and a pretty good try at what it does, I'm not that happy with my GameCube skin.

For starters, the GameCube has three ports on the the bottom of the console that are covered (which takes up a bit of the side of the case - hard to describe). When you apply the bottom side skin, the sticker completey covers the sides and over the port covers. This is annoying since it will be hard to take the port covers off for things like installing or removing a BBA. To get around this, you have to cut the skin yourself which does not look as professional. Annoying since it should have been done by GCS beforehand.

The front bottom sticker has no cutout for the "Powered by ATi" sticker on the front of the case. You will either have to remove it or stick over it.

The cutout for the power button on the skin that I received was uneven. I had to do a bit of stretching to make it look right.

Lastly, the white skin does not look good on a Indigo Cube. So don't make the same mistake I did. :wink:

It would have been nice to see a skin for the back of the console as well.

Overall, I thought the product was decent. Small problems here and there. Would I skin another Cube? Probably not. The Xbox skins look more promising.

I wonder if they couldnt be lobbied to cut the parts for the ports themselves so you dont have to... I'm sure they probably have like thousands of them now and wouldnt bother with them but maybe they could for the nest batch they do.

As for the ATi sticker... I dont think it has a definitive spot, it looks likt it wouldnt neccesarily end up in the same exact position and thus trying to cut a place for it would be a hassle.

I guess I should be glad all mys systems are black.... black goes with everything.

I wrote an email to GCS about the ports. I'm waiting for a response.

I thought the ATi sticker was always in the same spot. It would be nice to see a pre-cut hole for the sticker so it is flush with the skin rather than raised.

The ATi thing is a small nitpick but it seems the the guys at GCS put much more effort into the Xbox skin than the GC one.

Sorry, no pics. No cam of any sort.

I had no idea there was a market for tricking out a game console. My consoles play games and I could give a shit what color they are. Besides, there INSIDE the entertainment center.

I am curious though, how great is the overlap between this market and the "Non-greatest-hits" or the "no-red-bar-on-my-game-cover" crowd?

I don't have a Gamecube skin or even a Gamecube, but I do have my Xbox skinned. Although you can't change the color of the skin you already have, try using Armor-All (those wipes you use on car interiors) on your console.

I didn't really like how the skin looked on my Xbox at first, but after shining it up I was amazed at how much better it looked.

[quote name='David85']The skins are $10 and the shipping is $6?!?! it's keepo shipping! What a ripoff.[/quote]

$6 for a box and UPS shipping is fair.

I recently purchased and skinned my Xbox (the color was brushed aluminum, from the 360 pro series), and I thought it turned out OK, but I probably wouldn't purchase another skin because of the shipping. Unfortunately, I can't post pics of it right now. Actually, I thought the Gamecube skins would be better, it seems like it has better coverage.

Sorry to go kinda off topic, but has anyone purchased an Xbox jewel from GCSkins? Is it really possible to remove the original jewel without opening the Xbox? If so, how?

I purchased the platinum xbox replacement jewel, the black shui controller s jewels, and the silent circuit 360 skin off gameconsoleskins.com
Installation went perfect, instructions worked great... everything looks amazing.
You CAN really remove the xbox jewel without opening your case... just pry it off gently with a screw driver... then remove the stuff under. Or, you could do like me... I simply purchased one of the crystal clear XCM cases

Crystal Clear XCM Case
v1.2/1.3 motherboard
Wester Digitial 160g hdd
Silent Circuit 360 skin - gameconsoleskins.com
x4 Limited Edition Crystal Controller S gamepads
x4 Black Shui controller S jewels - gameconsoleskins.com
Platinum XBox jewel - gameconsoleskins.com
Blue LED powerboard/controller ports - llama.com
Crystal Clear 4 LED Blue 80mm fan - llama.com

Looks AMAZING... especially with the metal shielding kept in. All I'm waiting for is an outward facing self adhesive led ring from xboxleds.com I'm placing it right under the jewel to illuminate the space around it... x10 9000 blue LEDs... mmmmmmmmm

I considered skinning my C ube when I had one, but never did.

I'm now considering skinning my NDS, but probably won't. Sorry about your skinnish woes.

bread's done
Back