My friends got shafted by Walmart. Advice?

drfunk85

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I am posting this to see if there is any advice out there about anything that can be done about this:

3 of my friends started camping at Walmart for a PS3 tuesday night around 11pm/midnight. The store allowed them to line up. My friend had a video camera on him and has employees saying/acknowledging that they were first in line. They were there for 12+ hours until around 1pm the next day when the store decided to kick them out. The store said they weren't allowing people to line up until the night of the launch at 8PM. They went over to Best Buy where they were close to the end of the line and not gauranteed a system by this time. They camped at Best Buy. They called 1-800-walmart to complain about the store, but this was at night and they didn't really say much except to take down a complaint. A reporter came by the Best Buy to do a story on the launch, and my friend talked to him. He got his picture on the front page of the paper, and the story mentioned how they were kicked out after 12+ hours.

Fast forward to about 7:30PM last night when I went over to Walmart to try and get in on the mad dash or raffle or whatever they were doing. Turns out, they started letting people lineup around 5pm that night even though they had signs saying 8PM. They got a call from corporate that told them they had to let people lineup as they showed up. So people got there around 5 and got lucky and got in line. I figure the call was either due to my friends complaint or the newspaper story. Either way, nobody ever let us know. I tried complaining to get my friends back in the front of the line, and the store manager wasn't very helpful. He did say that he would "try and make it right by them", but wouldn't tell me what that meant (he said he had to talk to them about it). My friend and the manager have been playing phone tag ever since.

Anyway, to sum it up, they waited in line for 12+ hours at said walmart and would have done it longer. People who waited in line less than 7 hours ended up getting it. I'm pretty much counting on the manager talking to my friends and apologizing but not doing anything on it. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Unfortunatly, your friends are SOL on all fronts...[/quote]

I completely agree with this. Walmart doesn't give a flying fuck about your friends. The only thing they will do "right" is offer to your friends a chance to get one like everyone else....luck of the draw and happen to be at the store at the right time.

TBW

yeah man. I mean the manager is a dick... he should have told them "come back and I will put you first." but then the people who show up at 5 wouldn't know they were first and get pissed.

My walmart told us no line until wednesday night at 10.. well we stopped by earlier just for the hell of it and the line was almost full... we still got a smaller model.. but it was still f'ed up

I dont think theres really much your friends can do man. Its really messed up what happened to them though. I hope they get to score one from somewhere

Couldn't they contact the reporter they talked to? I'm sure the newspaper could give them the info, especially if they say why... nothing like an Evils of Wal-mart story to stir up folks, ya know.

A lil' bad press might prompt Mr. Manager to provide a nice discount on a 2nd run system, or if they hit a cord, the newpaper might play the hero to look good and hook them up.

(Ok, that's not very likely, but at least it's an alternative to the corporate run-around.)

:)

Thanks to everyone that replied. I pretty much assume they were SOL, but wanted to double check with CAGs in case you guys knew something I didnt. The story is 100% true, and if anything actually occurs, I will keep you updated.

BTW, tonight is my 21st birthday, so to all of you that snagged a Ps3, and to all of you that didnt, CHEERS!!!

-Kevin
'mother fuckers' 21! WOOO!"

;):):applause::lol:

your "friends" should have worn their man pants that night. i would have told anyone that was NOT a cop to fuck off...i mean the wally world mgmt could have told you that with the intention of getting their buddies a close spot in line.

But any retailer has the right to kick prettymuch anyone they want off their store or off their property. They've probably got signage saying 'no loitering', they just choose not to use it. Being a dick would most likely result in their being a dick [purposefully] back at you, instead of just being confused.
I'd say the only thing that could happen would be for them to apologize and either give you one first next time they come in.
Hey, at least you didn't get shot, robbed, or pushed into a flagpole [btw: the footage and news stories about the PS3 make me think many gamers are either sony fanboy robots, or just stupid insane. There's nothing I want enough to camp out in tents for two days at a Best Buy, and I sure as hell am not paying 2-10x retail price on ebay].

[quote name='dtcarson']But any retailer has the right to kick prettymuch anyone they want off their store or off their property. They've probably got signage saying 'no loitering', they just choose not to use it. Being a dick would most likely result in their being a dick [purposefully] back at you, instead of just being confused.
I'd say the only thing that could happen would be for them to apologize and either give you one first next time they come in.
Hey, at least you didn't get shot, robbed, or pushed into a flagpole [btw: the footage and news stories about the PS3 make me think many gamers are either sony fanboy robots, or just stupid insane. There's nothing I want enough to camp out in tents for two days at a Best Buy, and I sure as hell am not paying 2-10x retail price on ebay].[/QUOTE]

LOL ran into a flagpole. how the hell dont u see a flagpole. that had to be funny to see

I remember the nutjobs with furby at walmart (ripped the doors off the freaking store) I just want and get a ps3 when games i want to play come out.

the goverment should take a look at those people who put these systems up on ebay. This is MONEY GAIN and you have to pay tax on it. 99.9% of the people wont admit it and wont pay tax on this money they make

if the goverment was smart they would get all these peoples names and address and see if they files it on their taxes. IF NOT DO AN AUDIT

[quote name='gaelan']your "friends" should have worn their man pants that night. i would have told anyone that was NOT a cop to fuck off...i mean the wally world mgmt could have told you that with the intention of getting their buddies a close spot in line.[/quote]

Exaclty what dtcarson said - if you refuse to leave they could have you arrested. It wasn't just the night of the release, it was several days earlier.

[quote name='drfunk85']Exaclty what dtcarson said - if you refuse to leave they could have you arrested. It wasn't just the night of the release, it was several days earlier.[/QUOTE]

Well that's not entirely true. At our local Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart only owns and has control of the property from the silver door jar into the store. From the pavement and out into the parking lot the realty company that leases the space to Wal-Mart owns it. So when people solicit for like Girl Scout cookies, Cub Scouts, etc outside they need to get approval from the realty company not Wal-Mart. So at our local store Wal-Mart could not force you to leave unless you were leaning against their building. If you lined up and just stood on the concrete there's nothing they can do, they'd have to call the realty company to get you to leave. Leagleese, but I know since I worked in the office in the store that coordinated all of those programs.

[quote name='slidecage']
if the goverment was smart they would get all these peoples names and address and see if they files it on their taxes. IF NOT DO AN AUDIT[/quote]

i think they are smart enough to realize that the resources required to do what is in quotes above would cost several times more than the taxes owed by the individuals

[quote name='gaelan']i think they are smart enough to realize that the resources required to do what is in quotes above would cost several times more than the taxes owed by the individuals[/QUOTE]

Can't get much worse than the guy in North Carolina that paid 50 homeless men $100 a day to wait in line and delivered them food via U-Haul truck.

He was going to sell all of them on Ebay.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/18/todays-hottest-game-video-homless-people-in-line/

bread's done
Back