My GCN won't do progressive scan... HELP!!

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Does anyone know how to "reset" my Gamecube? It no longer asks me whether I want to play in progressive scan mode (and yes, the games I'm trying are progressive scan compatible). It was working fine and then I think I accidently hit "no" when it asked to set to progressive scan mode and now it no longer asks... Everything is definitely NOT in progressive scan mode... help!!! :D

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Since you're obviously not in possession of any instruction manuals, hold the B button while turning on your GameCube. It should ask you.[/quote]

Thanks, and yes - no instructions in sight.... :D

turning progressive scan on/off is done each time a game is booted up by holding the b button, there is no way to "save" the setting of disabling it...

[quote name='Moxio']Please don't flame me for asking... but....

What's progressive scan. *puts up Flame shield*[/quote]

To tell you the truth I don't really know either. All I know is that it provides a better picture, beyond that it could be magic for all I know.

Newer HD televisions are capable of displaying a picture in progressive scan. Basically, a interlaced picture displays on every other row of pixels and then alternates - so at any given time, half the pixels are actually lit. Progressive scan displays on all of the pixels at once.

Or the short version, you get a much sharper picture, but you have to have a high-end tv & component cables for your system (and the game has to support it).

Normal picture is interlaced. So you have horizontal lines of picture across the screen. Note there are tons of these lines and when the picture is refreshed it alternates even and odd lines.

So it will refresh the even lines, then odd, then even etc. This happens very fast so you don't see any flicker.

With progressive scan all lines (even and odd), every single pixel is refreshed at the same time. So the picture is much smoother.

[quote name='bboynujen']turning progressive scan on/off is done each time a game is booted up by holding the b button, there is no way to "save" the setting of disabling it...[/quote]

No, some games seem to keep track and will ask you if you still want it on. Not sure where this information is stored, but the system definately acts differently depending on whether or not you enabled progressive scan before.

[quote name='chunk'][quote name='bboynujen']turning progressive scan on/off is done each time a game is booted up by holding the b button, there is no way to "save" the setting of disabling it...[/quote]

No, some games seem to keep track and will ask you if you still want it on. Not sure where this information is stored, but the system definately acts differently depending on whether or not you enabled progressive scan before.[/quote]

yeah, this is why I asked the question in the first place - every time I played Metroid Prime it would ask if I wanted to set to progressive scan. By mistake I said no one time and it never asked again - it must store the settings somewhere or else my Gamecube is ALIVE!!!!!

bread's done
Back