My mom spent $700 on a Wega (and accessories)! Did she get ripped off?

salmonaxxx

CAGiversary!
Against my advice, and kinda behind my back, my mom ordered the following from a local electronics store:

32" Sony Wega CRT (non-HD, I believe) - $430 (I think this is the one: http://froogle.google.com/froogle_c...722489675114167&btnG=Search+Froogle&scoring=p )

TV stand, with rotating top shelf- $130
Philips DVD player- $85 (I think it's: http://froogle.google.com/froogle_c...184626385856805&btnG=Search+Froogle&scoring=p )

Plus tax, it came out to $695, with "free" shipping. I know the DVD player is way overpriced, but I dunno enough about TVs to judge. They're bringing the stuff over tomorrow, and we haven't paid completely yet. Should I try to convince my mom to return/cancel some of this stuff?

TIA

I have that same exact TV in my bedroom. For what I paid for (back then, I got it for $350 when it retailed for $700 or so), it's worth it. The only downsides that I have with it is that it's non-HD (not that it really matters to me, since my living room TV is HD), lack of picture-in-picture, and it's HEAVY. It's nearly 200 lbs. or so. I tend to rearrange my room every now and then, and moving the TV is not easy due to its size and weight.

As for the TV stand and the DVD player, well, I don't know. I've never owned or used any of those accessories.

Your mom did get ripped off on that DVD player... you can get that far cheaper at Target (I've seen it for as low as $59 there).

Oh, and please go to VideoHelp.com and get the info on how to unlock the region settings on the player. It is a damn nice player for a Phillips - far better than what one would expect. Plays nearly everything out on the market right now disc wise. While what she paid is pretty decent again you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

I got that exact DVD player from Walmart a week ago for $55 plus tax. :)

And I have to say, it goes nicely with my brand new Samsung 26" Widescreen HDTV!

bread's done
Back