My Neighbor Totoro Fox vs Disney DVD

cranguy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Sorry, I have no idea which forum to stick this question in, but here goes...

I was just browsing eBay and noticed that auctions for the Fox release of My Neighbor Totoro on DVD are consistently fetching a premium over the supposedly better Disney double-DVD release. Why's that? Is there something special about the Fox version? The few reviews that I skimmed say that it's pretty much inferior.

I have both and the video quality on both is pretty much the same as far as I can remember. But the Fox version has different voice actors on it which I thought were better and more original than the re-done Disney ones.

It's really a matter of opinion. They're both good, so it depends on taste.

The Fox DVD has a really good dub. Since it was the only dub available for awhile, some people (me included) are kind of fond of it. While there are some unusual turns of phrase, it either adds or detracts from the charm, depending on how you see it.

(I do have to say, un-impartially, that the Fox dub did a world of good for dubbing anime respectfully and authentically. They really tried and set a very high bar.)

The Disney dub is also good, though a little different. The biggest bonus with the Disney DVD is that the original Japanese track is included. It also has the extras and all that.

Get both if you can.

bread's done
Back