My new PC...

DeathDealer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I saw a few threads about building and small cases and I know when I was looking I couldnt find the answers I was looking for so any questions ask away. Ill start with the specs

AMD 6000+ 3.0Ghz
Its sweet, runs hot but who cares, theres ways to take care of that.

nvidia 7900GS
Free, a friend had it and wasnt using it so I gladly started using it. Works good, runs source at like 150fps, battlefield 2 everything on high. Im happy with it.

4GB (4x1GB) Geil Black Dragon Ram
Low timing, look sick, 4GB is plenty for a long time.

ABIT AN-M2 Micro ATX Mobo
Somewhat new model, just check it out.

Thermal Take Toughpower 650W power supply
Not much to look at here, modular, reliable...

Philips DVD Burner
Again, not much to say.

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee149/KillerStephen/

Thats pretty much it. So of course at first I had some issues keeping it cool. I would play CS for like 30 minutes and it would get up to like 155. I tried the Blue Orb and it didnt do shit over the stock fan and heatsink so I got the Coolit Eliminator. Its small come filled you pretty much just pop it in andyour done. That got me down to about 100 when gaming and about 77-80 idle, internet browsing etc. That thing is awesome. I think total I spent like 1200 and I can play pretty much anything I want. Im planning on getting an 8800 when the prices drop. But for now Im set. So I encourage anyone who wants a good computer to not shy away from shuttles or small cases. You dont have to sacrifice performance due to size. Shuttles can hang.

[quote name='DeathDealer']Im planning on getting an 8800 when the prices drop... ...not shy away from shuttles or small cases. [/quote]

Will an 8800 fit in one of those small cases? The thing is huge from what I've heard. My friend has a x1950 Pro and that thing is much bigger than my 7900GS plus 8800's take up two expansion slots on the back of your case.

Bigger is better for cases. More room for airflow, large components, and more room for working inside your case. But you are right, it can be done with a small case.

I'd definitely get a nice big roomy tower... the more room you have, the easier it is to work inside a computer.

Also, I would avoid getting a Micro ATX mobo. Not only are they cramped but they usually have less hook ups than their full sized counterparts.

In before the dick jokes. I remember the GFW podcast had a good laugh about the same thing.

Which model is that though? The GTX or GTS? I got a Cooler Master Centurion case to fit my Tuniq Tower and I think it'll big enough for a GTX (not like I have the money for one).

the 8800gts is rather large. almost a foot long and pretty thick. It also gets pretty hot when the action picks up.

okay, I feel dirty, but everything I said is true! :lol:

Spreadtheword-- the GTS fits nicely in my Centurion 5, not sure if the GTX is the same size or what.

I have an 8800gts 320mb in my shuttle SN25P, it's a tight fit, but it fits. It is a dual slot card, so I can't use my extra pci (actually I think the extra slot is pci-e 1x or 4x) slot anymore, but that's not a big deal to me. I think I have read that the gtx won't fit though.

A great resource for smaller cases is the sfftech forums (same as the sudhian forums).

Can you link to the case you got, did you get a shuttle or something else?

bread's done
Back