My PDA got broke.

Ericnmel99

CAGiversary!
So the other day i go to use my ipaq and the screen is broken. It looks as though something fell on it because the screen is all messed up. I called up HP and they said its still under warrenty for hardware but it cover 'accidental' damage. If they wont cover it, its gunna cost me about $100-$150 to replace the screen. Does anyone here have a PDA? if so has anyone gone through the same situation and if so what was the result?

How long have you had it, and how did you pay for it? Some credit card companies carry additional theft/damage coverage on major purchases within a certain timeframe (sometimes a year, sometimes the length of the manufacturer warranty if longer).

I haven't dealt with PDA's specifcally, but I used to work for WinBook (notebook manufacturer) and we've had credit card companies, insurance companies, and even sometimes retailers pay for cracked screens (if a third party warranty was purchased). If you use it for work, does your company cover damage, or if not, maybe check with your homeowners/renters insurance as well. The deductable might make it not worth the effort, but it's something to check out.

Ive had it less than a year...so its still under HP's warrenty. I'm more curious as to how they deal with these problems. Are they going to give me a hard time or are they easy to deal with and will just replace it. I dont want to have to pay out of pocket if it should be covered.

Broken screens are always 'end user abuse' according to HP unless there is some manufacturing defect or design flaw. If it fell under defect/flaw, they would have let you know.

Unless you bought some sort of purchase protection or replacement plan (a la Best Buy), or your credit card (if you used one to pay for it) offers the same, you're out of luck for the free repair.

You'll likely send it in and they'll send you a refurbished unit.

I paid with a Compusa Credit card. I dont know if they offer anything. My wife actually bought it for me as a present, i asked her if she got the extended warrenty she said no. If they send me a refurbished unit thats fine, as long as i dont have to pay anything.

:shock:
Well im sending it in today and i'll have to see. I have to say their Support is very good. They send me an airmail box the next day that includes return overnight shipping. He said once they get the product they will call me and let me know if if its covered or not. I'll post once i find out if its covered or not.

Before you ship it off, verify with their service department if they'll still charge you the service fee to ship it back. Some companies will charge you the money it takes to generate an estimate and call you. It makes perfect sense to ship it in and see if they'll pay for it, but it would suck to find out after the fact that they want $40 to send it back broken.

In my dealings with HP warranty, if you choose not to have a repair made, they don't charge to ship it back.

I had a lady bring in a laptop once and I could do nothing for it. The hinges had disintegrated and pieces of plastic were falling off it. HP wanted $900+ to fix it She said no way and they sent it back, still broken but at no charge.

So HP called me last night and said that they arent going to cover the repair and said it would be $200 to fix. I said no way and said that its not my fault that its busted, it must be a defect. The support guy said he will escalate the problem and someone else will be calling me in a couple of days. ........

This sucks... the unit itself cost $300, theres no way im spending another $200 to repair the screen.

It's too late now, of course but if asked I'd say this falls in the range of products where the extended warranties, especially the 'no-questions-asked' sort such as BB offers, are a worthwhile investment. THen the temptation exists to purposely break the item in the last few weeks of the coverage just so you get an upgrade to the current version!

LCDs are a major pain this way. They make up a huge chunk of the original cost and their replacement value remains high after the rest of the units has depreciated to nearly nothing. Big problem with laptops, too.

I know....My wife bought me this as a gift and she didnt get the extended warrenty. I always debate if i should get them or not anyway depending on how much they want. in this case i think it was $90 for 1 year, which seems high at first but not now.

[quote name='Ericnmel99']So HP called me last night and said that they arent going to cover the repair and said it would be $200 to fix. I said no way and said that its not my fault that its busted, it must be a defect. The support guy said he will escalate the problem and someone else will be calling me in a couple of days. ........

This sucks... the unit itself cost $300, theres no way im spending another $200 to repair the screen.[/quote]

I don't want to say I told you so, but....

I told you so.

HP is a real stickler for that sort of thing. This is the voice of experience here.

I know you said so.....well i'm gunna try pulling every trick i can. I'll use my ive been such a loyal customer schtick, or my play my i can get a new dell for $200 card. I'll fight for it as long as i can...if not i'll just have them send me the unit back and start over.

bread's done
Back