My ps3 died :(

iwannadie

CAGiversary!
So, I was playing and went to quit my game(home button/quit game) and the ps3 beeped at me then turned off leaving the flashing red light. I ended up going to bed and came back to it later and tried to turn it on. It beeps and then flashes red instantly. I pulled the HD(just recently added a 320gig drive) and put it back in with no luck. I was able to turn the ps3 on without the HD and eject my game at least.

I decided to swap back in the original HD thinking maybe the new one was broken but it does the samething with the original HD. Looking online the red flashing is sign of an over heating issue. My ps3 sits on an open air glass entertainment center with a good 14" of open space on all sides. I vacuum and hit it with compressed air once a month. I can't see how under normal use in those conditions it would over heat. When I did my HD swap I pulled the drive after it was copying from it for over and hour and it wasn't even warm to the touch. The new HD was a 5400rpm drive so I don't see how that would cause any added heat and it has only been a month or so with the new drive.

What I am most worried about are my game saves! I have the new 320gig drive with all my current data on it and lets say the worst case I send sony my ps3 and get the refurb. Can I put my HD into the new refurb and have it function with all my game saves on the HD? Something tells me I can't just dump my HD into a different ps3 and have it 'work'. Can I use a computer to recover game saves off my HD? I don't care about any of the other downloaded games I can just redownload them, it's all about the games saves. I've seen the flux solution here and don't see that as a long term fix....

You cannot put your old HD in another ps3, it will get reformat, nor can you slave it up to a PC.

You could try to fix it yourself, if you send it to sony your drive will be wiped. You could send it to a 3rd party repair service.

One I know of is pcquikfif, http://www.pcquikfix.com/

I actually used another repair service

[quote name='kube00']You cannot put your old HD in another ps3, it will get reformat, nor can you slave it up to a PC.

You could try to fix it yourself, if you send it to sony your drive will be wiped. You could send it to a 3rd party repair service.

One I know of is pcquikfif, http://www.pcquikfix.com/

I actually used another repair service[/QUOTE]

Well that pretty much sucks but what I expected actually. Thanks for the link, I rather find an independent repair place rather than sony so I can keep my game saves.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Lesson to be learned: Make backups[/QUOTE]

I know I feel stupid, the ps3 is the only thing that didn't have a backup schedule and I'm paying the price it seems. I always just assumed if the ps3 died I would just swap the HD around and be good to go(aside from an HD failure). I never thought to look into how the HD was encrypted or locked into a specific system.

Would backing up the saves to a usb drive then allow me to use them on any ps3 and still retain full function? Meaning, my ps3 dies while playing ff13 could I then load my game save / psn account onto a new ps3 and continue fine?

I should go search and not ask but while I was thinking about it.

I also found a place local to me that said they will do the fix for 60 bucks so things are looking up at least. I went from $150 and no game saves to $60 with all my content. So I might pick up a slim and have the fixed one as my future back up if the game saves can be swapped easy ha.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Lesson to be learned: Make backups[/QUOTE]

Doesn't help for the many PS3 games that have encrypted save files that you can't back up.

bread's done
Back