My PS3 is on the fritz

popular penguin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Here's a video of the problem As you can see, my PS3 keeps shutting down on its own. My TV shows a "no signal" notification. I doubt it's an overheating issue because I give my PS3 enough room to vent. I don't get the yellow light, just green. First, I try just pressing the power button. Then I try holding down the button. Having the HDD connected made no difference.

Can anyone help me? :pray:

I can't put my PS3 into safemode because it powers down too quickly.

Here are some things I tried (all failed to fix my PS3): Reformat HDD from a different PS3, reformat HDD from PC, used different HDMI cable, used Yellow/White/Red cable, used "old" fat TV.

I used a vacuum hose on every opening of the PS3, but that didn't solve the problem. I also used 3 different outlets.

If I were to send my PS3 to Sony for repairs, how will they charge me? I don't have a credit card.

I think Sony charges $160 to repair fat PS3s. They used to give people the option to upgrade to a slim for $100 if you send in your busted PS3-- not sure they do that anymore. Most local repair shops will do it for a lot less (many PC repair shops also fix systems).

If you have a BC one, I would seriously reconsider trying to fix it yourself if you're at all handy with electronic hardware. I replaced the thermal compound on my PS3 and replaced the power supply, it only took me 4-5 hours to do and there are plenty of guides available online.

It does seem like you've got a bad power supply seeing as how the system abruptly shuts off when it does turn on but otherwise, doesn't even show the red light. The yellow light (YLOD) is usually what you get due to system damage due to overheating and the system will at least stay on long enough to show you the yellow light.

I took my PS3 to some guy from Craigslist. Apparently the red LED burned out and I had the YLOD. He repaired it for $40 with a 90 day guarantee.

I just want to say thank you to everyone in this thread that tried to help me.

bread's done
Back