My rant on DLC

Solid Scarecrow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Ok here is my view, I think downloadable content can enhance a game and or give it more replay value. But the problem Im seeing and just wondering how far will this go? Games are being released now with dlc ready to buy as soon as the game comes out. My problem/ view is that who decided that I already got my 60 dollars worth of that video game? I mean seriously whats wrong with this picture? It feels like when I buy a game now Im only getting a part of it( COD series) waitng to get new levels, skins etc. I thought dlc content should be content that I download because it wasnt availabe at the time to put on the disc. So I think of saying DLC they should put SWPTCYMC ( shit we put seperate to charge you more content) So please chime in and ask yourself next time you buy a game, Did you get your 60 bucks worth?

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I rarely buy any games for $60.[/QUOTE]

I put 60 because thats just the general price for current gen game prices, I know there are many great deals out there but it wasnt my main point

Its not a money issue per say but more in the fact of the matter of what stuff do they keep out or limit us to, for the sake of charging us down the road.

[quote name='Solid Scarecrow']Its not a money issue per say but more in the fact of the matter of what stuff do they keep out or limit us to, for the sake of charging us down the road.[/QUOTE]

Wait.. when you buy COD MW3 you don't get the full campaign?

Or you can't go online without paying for DLC?

You see you aren't missing out on anything by not paying for the DLC except a few extra multiplayer maps. That I can live with..

What I don't like is a game removing key parts of the actual game (Assassin's Creed) and then adding those chapters as DLC down the road

[quote name='Solid Scarecrow']COD was an example, and to add to your point the whole batman dlc. catwoman isnt needed but it adds a little to the game[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to argue.. I agree with you wholeheartedly.. years ago instead of release DLC they just completed the F'n game and then released a sequel down the road; but it appears that developers want to cashin in on the ability to release 70% of a game and then the rest in quarterly installments.

Personally I don't mind if they release DLC that is non-essential to the game and more fan based. Like extra characters in MK or customs in other games but if it directly effects the outcome of the game or if you miss a huge chunk of the story if you don't buy it.. well then that is shitty.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I really don't care if they release DLC or not. I usually just buy it all anyways.[/QUOTE]

I usually do to. For example all the extras for MK. but I could spend it in other areas if they werent nickel and diming me in every game I play

I remember several years back I went to a small diner and they where charging extra to have cheese added to your omelet. He must of closed shop and went to work for Activision

As long as the content isn't locked on the disk and it's not a major part of the game, I'm cool with optional DLC.

Epic and Gears of War 3 can go to hell. That is absolutely the worst violator in the DLC wars.

it is pretty annoying, but it's not like all franchises are doing this. for example, Infamous' Festival of Blood DLC came out in October (a few months after release), and it was an actual addition to the game (as opposed to a piece of the game held away for no reason other than to get more money). at least, that's the impression i got.

The worst was with Capcom,with DLC already on the disc of Street Fighter 4,Resident Evil 5,and Marvel vs Capcom 3,making it so you pay to get a key to unlock it.

[quote name='Solid Scarecrow']COD was an example, and to add to your point the whole batman dlc. catwoman isnt needed but it adds a little to the game[/QUOTE]
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't Catwoman ON THE DISC for Batman: Arkham City and it was just that you needed to put in the bullshit one time use code to unlock her portion of the story?

To me that's the only DLC besides online game passes that I consider to be total bullshit. Day one DLC IS frustrating, but ONLY if it's like mentioned above.

Otherwise if it's just some add-on content that you have to download and doesn't add much to the story then I'll just skip it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't Catwoman ON THE DISC for Batman: Arkham City and it was just that you needed to put in the bullshit one time use code to unlock her portion of the story?
[/QUOTE]
Nope Catwoman is a download. 200+ MB download.

I don't mind DLC for stuff like Characters or other things like that. On the other hand all this DLC is an excuse to throw in a fucking 2-3 hour mission for $7-10 instead of making a whole big expansion pack which would have a lot more content. Games like Mass Effect is notorious for charging $10 for a 2 hour mission but it could be important to the story for Mass Effect 3.

I would rather buy something like $20-30 for an expansion that is the size of a good chunk of the game (considering it's lengthy) and adds in something important (whether it be character classes, abilities, etc).

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Nope Catwoman is a download. 200+ MB download.[/QUOTE]
Good to know. I just wish that they had put it on the damn disc instead of making it a file you have to download.:bomb: I'm still debating if I wanna play her portion of the game and use that DLC code or just sell/trade it here to someone.

Best example is Undead Nightmare for Read Dead. I hate when games feel half-completed and I'm coughing up more. Or Capcom. Just Capcom. They are the WORST example of DLC. EVER. PERIOD. I shouldn't buy a game in one year, for you just to have an EXPANDED version that same year for less. But I did get a Steelbook....so....

[quote name='Jodou']Preaching to the choir but enough people eat up DLC to make it a million dollar idea.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Until people stop buying DLC and stop buying games at $60, this trend will not change.

This is why I wait for Game of the Year Editions or reprints of games with the DLC on disc.

If it weren't for a Kmart deal I would have passed on L.A. Noire, Heavy Rain, and Alan Wake who all sit in my backlog. A game that has DLC has to have a great deal for me to jump on at release these days.

DLC to me just seems like giving a person an incomplete game at release. I picked up the Gold Edition of Resident Evil 5 from all the complaints I heard here about DLC being already on the disc of the original game.

I hate the "on the disk" argument--that it's okay to be mad about DLC if it's actually on the disk and you pay more to unlock it--DLC is DLC in that it's something the dev's choose to make you pay more for, period.

What makes DLC cool is that it can add life to a game you already enjoyed--pay a "little" more and get a "little" more--obviously the cost and what you actually get varies with different dev's.

Like I said, DLC is DLC (you pay more either way) but now dev's and publishers are getting more creative and for me I love it when you can add to a game but it's a fine line and a case by case basis.

Take Skate 3 for example. I LOVE being able to download other people's creations and skate parks and/or pay more for a park designed by the Dev's. It's like the inevitable Skyrim DLC I will buy--the game is already HUGE (Red Dead falls into this argument too) and the DLC isn't really needed to make the game great and for me to get my $60 worth...I already did without purchasing anything else. So optionally being able to buy more for the title I already enjoyed is ok.

It's bad when a Dev chooses to make DLC optional but it makes the game MUCH better with it--this is the dev essentially knowing people are going to really want the content and making it "optional" because of this...take Skate 3 again. In order to be able to download others' parks you have to pay $10 for a "Creation Pack" that allows the access--this is taking it too far IMO--they knew fans would want it, so day one they made it DLC.

More maps for a game like MW3, which already has plenty, or more areas to explore, like with Fallout 3, is A-OK with me--you are paying $3 a map or $10-$15 more for a new area--that's not that much money people, and that's another side to all of this DLC argument.

I may be a cheap ass gamer, but when it comes to great Dev's and great games I'm buying day one. Support the art and industry you love people. I always buy cheap, but MW3, Uncharted 3, and Skyrim all earned my day one dollars!

[quote name='Abear21']I hate the "on the disk" argument--that it's okay to be mad about DLC if it's actually on the disk and you pay more to unlock it--DLC is DLC in that it's something the dev's choose to make you pay more for, period.[/quote]
fuck that noise. If it's ON THE DISC, then it should be unlocked from day one moment one without me having to pay extra for it. I still think that the 200mb file you have to download for the Catwoman portion of the game to unlock is just that: an unlock code. If so, then it is still bullshit to me that it's ON THE DISC but that they're making you pay $10 extra if you want that portion of the game. My one buddy whose played through it has already said they alluded to the Catwoman portion of the storyline pretty heavily while you're playing the game, so that's just horseshit to tease and bait people into being curious about a portion of the game they'll have to pay extra for if they wanna play it.

What makes DLC cool is that it can add life to a game you already enjoyed--pay a "little" more and get a "little" more--obviously the cost and what you actually get varies with different dev's.

Like I said, DLC is DLC (you pay more either way) but now dev's and publishers are getting more creative and for me I love it when you can add to a game but it's a fine line and a case by case basis.
Most of the DLC for games I've had ends up being outfits/costumes/characters and most of them are pretty mundane and worth nowhere near the price devs slap on these cash grabs.

I may be a cheap ass gamer, but when it comes to great Dev's and great games I'm buying day one. Support the art and industry you love people. I always buy cheap, but MW3, Uncharted 3, and Skyrim all earned my day one dollars!
I've bought a bunch of games day one or pretty close recently, but with DLC codes to unlock on disc content and online passes and companies putting out 'complete' editions that screw over early adopters(see: GTA IV Complete, Red Dead GOTY, etc) I'd rather go back to waiting for price drops and good sales on some of these games.

My next big game is GTA V(or I Am Alive if it comes out on a disc version in the UK, which I'll import) and with all of the sales/clearances I've hit in the last 6 months and AWD I'm set for games to play till each of those come out.

If this trend towards charging people more for content that's already ON the disc continues or God forbid they try going download only then I'm done buying new and staying informed on what games are coming out and what kinda content they have and I'll just play em blind. That way so long as I don't know what's supposed to be part of the game, then I won't feel gypped when I realize a good chunk of it is on disc DLC or whatever.

I agree dlc is great in cases but other times it seems shitty. For example when I bought Alice Return to madness I recieved a online pass to download the first Alice game. Thats great, doesnt take away from the game and Im rewarded for buying it new. Batman on the other hand, takes away from the main game and catwoman was heavily advertised before the game came out.

It's just simply this - if you are a true cheapass, it makes less and less sense to buy a game day 1. If you just have to have it now then so be it, but be prepared to pay through the nose.

Personally I almost always wait until a new copy of the GOTY version has dropped in price, and pay half for a copy that includes most or all of the DLC.

Does this mean I will be waiting a few years to play Skyrim? Undoubtedly. But that also means I'll be paying less to play a fully patched game that includes all the extras - score!

I mostly think DLC is a good thing as it extends games and means I buy fewer games and get more enjoyment out of my favorite games.

Sure, it's lame sometimes when it's on the disc or out right after launch which clearly shows that they held stuff out to make more money. And a lot of it is useless stuff like costumes etc., but that's easy enough to skip.

But for good DLC like Multiplayer map packs, expansions to RPGs etc., it's a great way to extent a favorite game for $10-15 rather than buying a new one.

I'm also not really a cheap ass with games anymore. I was out of necessity back in college/grad school, but now that I work more than full time I have more problem finding time to play the games that interest me than I do having money to buy them!

[quote name='Solid Scarecrow']Ok here is my view, I think downloadable content can enhance a game and or give it more replay value. But the problem Im seeing and just wondering how far will this go? Games are being released now with dlc ready to buy as soon as the game comes out. My problem/ view is that who decided that I already got my 60 dollars worth of that video game? I mean seriously whats wrong with this picture? It feels like when I buy a game now Im only getting a part of it( COD series) waitng to get new levels, skins etc. I thought dlc content should be content that I download because it wasnt availabe at the time to put on the disc. So I think of saying DLC they should put SWPTCYMC ( shit we put seperate to charge you more content) So please chime in and ask yourself next time you buy a game, Did you get your 60 bucks worth?[/QUOTE]

You can see from two sides.
On one side, it will enhance the game, allowed to continue the game to other directions.
But then there is the other side where it looks more like that the game wasn't finished und you pay up for the full game.

Earlier on i bought any dlc, now i am not anymore. I just want to the maingame, like it was intended. But i do opt perhaps for the GotY edition will all the dlc's included.

The problem that lies there is, can you wait or are you desperate to play early. Since people don't want to wait you got to pay.

Paid for DLC is a big waste most of the time. Usually it's priced way too high. I'll only buy DLC for a game I really like when it goes sale.

Now you look at Team Fortress 2, that's DLC done right. Since it came out in 2007 Valve has added almost 50 maps, and over 100 weapons for free. The game does have a cash store now (only added about a year ago) where you can buy weapons and hats, though they never changed the drop rate of weapons, basically making the store is the faster way of getting weapons and hats.

There are some pretty egregious examples out there, but by and large the Day-One DLC available in games is stuff that simply wouldn't have been made in the first place if not for a DLC marketplace. I don't remember dozens of character and weapon skins and other random bits (which is almost exclusively what the DLC that's available early in a game's shelf-life amounts to - see: Uncharted 3, Gears of War 3, etc.) even existing in games before the market for DLC. It's not like if there wasn't a business for DLC we'd all be getting all of this stuff for free; they just wouldn't even bother making it in the first place.

And sometimes DLC does wonders for a game. Just look at ModNation Racers - the DLC packs in that game even benefit those players who don't actually buy them.

Usually the DLC I buy I have found to be worth it, i.e. the expansion packs in FO3 and DA:O. Also the add-on for RDR. However I am pretty careful about picking up DLC (reading reviews first) and to add to that I pretty much exclusively buy it on sale. Combine that with MS points purchased on sale too for a double whammy of savings... usually I'm only effectively paying 33% or less the actual price of the DLC, so the total added cost is not as big a deal for me. Or if it's a game that I really enjoy and want to max out the achievements, I will get the DLC so I can round out the gamerscore too.

I do worry about the slippery slope of day 1 DLC though. I don't think there is much day 1 DLC I have bought/played. Another trend I don't like are these "season pass" type things, which simply encourage the developer to withhold more and more content so they can dole it out and sell these passes to make you think you're getting a "good deal".

I guess bottom line, I am okay with DLC that takes significant effort to create. Like the add on packs in Fallout 3. The other stuff like skins, maps, etc. are usually overpriced and not worth it IMO, but I also don't play multiplayer games online so I really have no interest/need for that kind of DLC.

That said, I am becoming more inclined to wait for the GOTY versions. I never really bought anything day 1 anyways, and it wasn't until this October that I actually bought and played a game on day 1 (Forza 4). I got Fallout NV collector's edition on sale but will probably get rid of the (unplayed) game on goozex so I can pick up the GOTY version when it goes cheap later. Also for Skyrim, it looks great but I think I might wait until the GOTY version of that too, since I know there will be substantial DLC released for that game too. I like having the complete edition of the game in one location, although it makes it hard because sometimes I like to get the CE of a game too.

bread's done
Back