My recent Best Buy experience was not pleasurable.

bmulligan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I walked into Best Buy today to return a defective television that I purchased in 2003. It was recently diagnosed by a service technician as "unserviceable" and was told over the phone I could return it for a voucher for a new television. The rep told me it would cost Best Buy twice as much to repair this television than it would cost to offer me a refund. So, to make everyone happy, I agreed to take it into the store and get a new one.

I quickly got out my reciept and copy of the PSP, or Performance Service Plan which states: "Products...may be repaired or replaced with a comparable product, or we will issue a voucher for the original purchase price at our discretion."
I had that passage highlighted since I bought my TV almost 4 years ago. The kid who sold it to me gave me the lemon speech and said if my unit cannot be repaired, or is repaired more than 4 times, I'll get my money back. No questions asked. So I forked over another 25%, or $250 to get this all encompassing warranty. I'm sure you've all heard this speech. I heard it just last week when some kid was trying to unload a PS3 on some soccer mom and guaranteed her her money back if it breaks during the extended warranty period.

I asked the guy on the phone if I could use this voucher to get more expensive TV and without hesitation, he said yes, that would be no problem. "Great," I thought, "I'll take tomorrow off and go get a new TV that works."

This morning I made sure to call 1888-Best-Buy and spoke to a nice man about my situation and all events leading up to it. I asked specifically if I would receive a voucher for the purchase price of my TV to apply to a new one or upgrade to a better one. He wholeheartedly assured me this was the case and I should have no problems doing this. So, I ventured out with my son to do a few errands and our last stop before lunch was to get a new TV at BB.

After 2 disgruntled, low totem turds helped me remove the TV from my vehicle, one of them scoffed, "They're supposed to pick these warranty TV's up so we don't have to deal with them." Purposefully ignoring him, I strolled to the service counter to proudly present my warranty papers and receipt. Everything was going as smooth as silk as I was handed of to another subordinate who would help me obtain a replacement television. This, my friends, is the end of the pleasantries enjoyed at Best Buy today.

John, or Joe, or guy told me I could choose from 1 model of television as a replacement. A 32" HDTV widescreen tube television as my returned one was also a tube. I said that's unacceptable, not comparable, and not was what I had been told and I want to speak with a manager. Not being paid enough to deal with the likes of me, he left to find a superior- we'll call him Al. Al was your typical fast talking, strong arm type sales person put in place, no doubt, to fend off the daily irate customer who wanted to speak with someone in charge. After 3 more attempts, he finally relented and said he would go find THE manager. I made sure to follow him so that I wouldn't get the brush off.

After a few more attempts to tell me "he" wasn't in, I persisted. Knowing the manager was a woman I knew I was being lied to again and my voice started to grow louder. He relented and disappeared into the back. Reappearing 5 minutes later he informed me the manager would be out to see me shortly and she would find me because he described to her what I was wearing.

Ms. Manager- we'll call her Gail- listened patiently to my story and reiterated what the last 2 people had told me. I was only entitled to this samsung TV for $547 because my TV had depreciated in vale over the last 4 years and she determines it is comparable to my old TV. If I wanted another one she would only give me a credit for $547, not my original purchase price. I scoffed again, told her of my conversations with 1-888-best-buy and the fact that my warranty said she could offer my the purchase price at her discretion. She adamantly refused and told me there was nothing else she could do. I told her "no, there's nothing else you WILL do. You could choose to honor what everyone else at your company has told me - give me my purchase price back so I can get a new TV." She said she would not go against store policy, period. I asked for her regional supervisors name and she refused to give it to me. She said she was not allowed to give out names. I then asked if she would call a contact at corporate for me and she refused again saying I had to do that myself.

Now, knowing that repairing this TV would cost BB about $2000, I tried to rationalize with her that offering my my original price of $1000 would save Best buy over $1000. Of couse, though, rationalization doesn't mix well with authority types. She told me she would set up a repair and I should take my old TV back home. She even motioned her two grunts to wheel it to the front door. By this time at least 5 Male Employees had encircled us during our conversation yet remained at a safe distance of about 15 feet. I suppose it was to attempt to contain me had I the notion to throttle her right there on the sales floor. She then asked me if I needed help getting it back into my car. I said no, you can hold onto it while I shop and make a phone call.

1 hour later, after being transfered from 1-888-best-buy to a regional PR office, to a corporate PR office, they called the manager of the store and told her to give me a return of my purchase price and let me buy a more expensive TV. Ms. Manager met me at the service desk a few minutes later to tell me she would gladly give me the $547 credit and that corporate authorized the store to get a rebate so that she could offer me my purchase price back. And she said it like she was giving me a gift.

Why the fuck did I buy a new TV? Becuase I'm stuck. I gave them $250 for a service plan, now I got a credit and gave them another $1200 for a new TV. I can't go anywhere else with my credit - I'm stuck dealing with these turd-for-brains idiots. I just wanted to vent my frustration and maybe convince people to not shop there if at all possible. At least not at this store in Brighton, Michigan when purchasing any extended warranties for copious amounts of money. I don't know what other stores' managers are like but this one takes the cake, for me, as worst customer service ever. And it has nothing to do with Corporate - they're the ones who fixed my problem and satisfied me - so much so I don't mind giving them more money. It's the assholes who run this store that are the real pains in the ass.

Damn...that sucks. At least the 1-888 actually worked in your case, for many it goes no where as bestbuysux.org has proved.. Luckily for me, I have never had any issues with Best Buy before. Only one time did I buy an open box router to find an old CD-ROM drive in it, but it was quickly exchanged the next day without any issues (though looks).

It was a tube 32" HDTV with a 4:3 screen. I tried to explain to them the when watching regular TV on this new "equivalent replacement" widescreen, the picture would be effectively 8-10" smaller than my old one. I mean, 98% of my television watching is 4:3. But, of course ,they see the number 32 and think all things are equal.

This "equal replacement" didn't have half the number of inputs, no PIP, and various other features that my old one had as well.

The new one I ended up buying is the Hitachi 50" Plasma. Delivery on Saturday ! The wife's gonna kick my ass too for buying this.

[quote name='zewone']What TV did you end up getting?[/QUOTE]

Curious as well. Hopefully there won't be any issues with the new one as I'm sure they would give you grief. Hopefully there is a another Best Buy near you.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Curious as well. Hopefully there won't be any issues with the new one as I'm sure they would give you grief. Hopefully there is a another Best Buy near you.[/QUOTE]

I really wanted to get some sort of voucher so I could go to another BB, but they refused and said I had to make my purchase today and in store. Not wanting to have to call corporate again for another hour, I relented so I could get the hell out of there and be done with it.

That's the thing- I felt like they were just trying to outlast me and fuck with me until I gave up and took what they were offering. I guess they must get a lot of pussies in Brighton and thought I was a girly man. Maybe not, though, since they encircled me with their nazi youth during my rant.

I personally haven't ever had a problem with the local best buy here. Circuit City on the other hand is a different story. OP, be glad that you did manage to get 3+ years out of your old tv, as well as your credit back. Even if it was a hassle, you still made out pretty good in the end.

i got a 42 inch plasma there in march thats starting to act up. I have the 5 year warranty and just waiting for a convenient time to return. It is also a Maxent and I am kind of hoping they only have only better brands in stock to replace it.

[quote name='ogreeley']Haven't been in a Best Buy since they made my wife cry over a $30 return two years ago.[/quote]

now here is a CS story that needs to be told

[quote name='mtxbass1']I personally haven't ever had a problem with the local best buy here. Circuit City on the other hand is a different story. OP, be glad that you did manage to get 3+ years out of your old tv, as well as your credit back. Even if it was a hassle, you still made out pretty good in the end.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know I made out well - but I PAID for it. I bought the insurance "program" and they've had my money for 4 years. I can't feel bad for them to make them live up to their own promise. They buy insurance on their warranties too so that they can recoup a loss if necessary. I thought since the repair would cost them double what they would credit me for, I was actually doing them a favor. Then I get the attitude like they're doing ME the favor. That really pissed me off.

Then I forked over more money. Maybe I am the pussy.

What new TV did you buy?

I know it's a bitch dealing with people to replace your stuff that is broken, but if you hadn't have spent that 250 on the plan, then right now you'd be home with a broken 1000 dollar TV and 250 extra bucks in your pocket.

And it sucks they don't make many tube hdtvs.....those things have the best picture out there.

The store service sucks everywhere, but the main problem is always the manufacturers of the sets....I always end up telling people "it's not Sears'(where I work) fault your tv died, it's Samsung's, etc."

The floor manager at my local Best Buy has a problem with savvy shoppers. Good luck trying to price match anything... even though it is a store policy, twice he has swooped in and come up with cock-n-bull reasons why they won't price match the competitor. Once I came from Circuit City hoping Best Buy would be cheaper (I was looking for a router), but they weren't. I just figured I would price match instead of going all the way back to Circuit City.

"No sir, we can't price match if the other store doesn't have it in stock."

"Well they do have it in stock, I just came from their store. Why don't you call and ask?"

"I called and asked this morning (whatever). They don't have that item."

"Ok, you're wrong, but you win."

I left the said item (and about $60 of other merchandise) on the counter and walked out the door.

I would call corporate up again and ask for a credit to your credit card for whatever they owe you. You should have gotten a t.v. at the same purchase price, especially if that's what they told you.

[quote name='drfunk85']I would call corporate up again and ask for a credit to your credit card for whatever they owe you. You should have gotten a t.v. at the same purchase price, especially if that's what they told you.[/QUOTE]

Trust me, he made out pretty good. Yes, I know what the warranty states, but sometimes you will get no where and will spend countless hours/days just to get what they promised. When I say this, I mean this. It took my parents 4 months (!) to get a new 1080p when there $5,000 one (when they bought it) crapped out. The warranty company sent out the wrong replacement part 2 times, defective one the next, then gave them a 'refurbished tv' that had black hand prints on the inside screen. It took countless hours/days for them to actually get a brand new, upgraded replacement. Of course, once my parents got our lawyer involved it was quickly taken care of. This is also the same place my parents dropped 30k on at the same time on numerous occasions for his business. Needless to say, he will never shop there again.

I had a bad experience with American Electronics with my TV, well my moms TV. When I bought it I took the service plan they offered. I was told it would replace the light bulb if it went out for the first time. After that I had to pay about 300 bucks. Thats about what I paid for the service plan. The guy told me if the bulb went out the plan I had would replace it.

So less then a year later it goes out. They send some one out and want to charge me. I look at the guy and said what. He then told me again I had to pay 300 bucks for the bulb. I told him the service plan covers it. He looked at the price I paid for it and told me the I had does not. The guy that sold me the TV put in the wrong code that is just one number off. So I ended up paying for it. It was my fault for not looking at the small print. Also the plan that included the first bulb was the price of the bulb and service plan. So I really was not out any thing. Also some how the service guy was really cool. I ended up learning from just the way he talked that he hated the company. It seemd like it was more of a pain for him to get a hold of someone to talk to then it would for a customer.

91 days later the bulb goes out. 91 days and no one wanted to honer the warinty on it due to ONE day. The manufacture of the TV only gives 30 days and American says well it is a light bulb they can go out like one in a lamp. So they send another tech out. Ends up the same guy. He takes it out says yep it went out. He then takes out his cell phone, HIS CELL phone not the companies and is put on hold. He was on hold for about 10 minutes 3 or 4 times. Thats 30 to 40 minutes on HOLD and he works for them.

He tracks one down and says it will be a few days and that American should eat the cost and to keep bothering them. So guess what we did. When I was in class or at work my mom was on the phone with them. When I was home I was on. The guy comes out with the bulb and asks if they okayed it for free. We told him now. The guy looked like he was about to blow. He gets on the phone again his cell phone and is on hold yet again. After he gets his boss on the phone he is told that it is up to him. When he was on the phone the last time he was here trying to track one down they never said it was up to him and he had asked his boss about it then. So it went from no to its up to you. So guess what he said screw it. Something is wrong with the tv or you just got a bad bulb so its no charge. However I have a new issue.

I had burn in on my screen for a long time. I had set it to the gray bars on the side for the 4:3 when watching tv. So every time I watched something in 16:9 I saw that. The person that sold me the tv said it would not do that with them on. I know I should have knowen the guy was full of it because I was reading up on LCD TVs for almost a month. Good thing is the new issue was yellow bars at the sides of the screen. The Light Engine was going out. That was under warenty and was not cheap. The same service tech came out yet again. It was almost a 4 hour job at Americans cost.

So for free I got a 300 dollar light bulb replaced and an 800 dollar for a total of 1100 bucks not counting the cost of labor. All that for a 2000 to 2500 (can't remember what the price was but it was in that range) dollar TV.

In the end I will never buy from them again. Hell even the service tech droped hints that I shouldn't.

[quote name='bmulligan']Yeah, I know I made out well - but I PAID for it. I bought the insurance "program" and they've had my money for 4 years. I can't feel bad for them to make them live up to their own promise. They buy insurance on their warranties too so that they can recoup a loss if necessary. I thought since the repair would cost them double what they would credit me for, I was actually doing them a favor. Then I get the attitude like they're doing ME the favor. That really pissed me off.

Then I forked over more money. Maybe I am the pussy.[/QUOTE]

Eh, it was a chance to get a new TV. You had the choice between "sticking it to them" by getting a TV strictly at the cost of the credit (and being unhappy if it wasn't what you wanted), and spending a few more bones to get a TV you know you would be happy with it (and feel a tinge of remorse for giving more money to a company you're infuriated with). In the end, though, since it was not Best Buy you were unhappy with (they seemed rather helpful), but the local cream-of-the-crap staff, I wouldn't be so remorseful; the problems are isolated.

I had a similar situation this past January at BB, but most everybody was very polite and helpful - went from a 26" LCD to a 37" LCD for only the cost of a new PRP. Which begs the question - did you buy a new PRP for your fancy new television?

Lastly, I wouldn't be me if I didn't point this out :)P), but I can't help but imagine that paying employees better would allow the wheat to be more consistently separated from the chaff. Well, at least in regards to dunderheaded floor reps. The manager sounded downright shady (which is probably what got her there in the first place)

I've discovered that writing letters to corporate, even if they have already assisted in resolving an issue at a store, can do wonders. You have valid complaints which would serve you well should you voice them to corporate. Let them know how you felt, and how shitty the staff was, and that they're potentially losing a customer... one who actually buys the warranties!

Reminds me of when my TV's light engine went poof, and I had to get a replacement part from Circuit City's warranty. They kept saying the part was worth $2000, but the tv was about $1000 or so new at the time. They wouldn't just give me a credit either, they just put in the new part.

[quote name='mykevermin']
I had a similar situation this past January at BB, but most everybody was very polite and helpful - went from a 26" LCD to a 37" LCD for only the cost of a new PRP. Which begs the question - did you buy a new PRP for your fancy new television?

Lastly, I wouldn't be me if I didn't point this out :)P), but I can't help but imagine that paying employees better would allow the wheat to be more consistently separated from the chaff. Well, at least in regards to dunderheaded floor reps. The manager sounded downright shady (which is probably what got her there in the first place)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I bought another PRP. I think that's what made me feel even worse. Like I just took it up the pooper and had to pay for it and a future fudgepacking. All in all, I'm satisfied with how BB handled my claim, and I like the employees at my local store, they're very helpful and knowledgable. It's the damn shitkicker manager who wouldn't budge an inch, then acted like she was doing me a favor. If all they rely on is store policy, then they don't even need a manager, do they? Even funnier is that when I was talking to the regional PR person, they informed me the regional supervisors have no authority to tell a manager how to decide on situations like this and that it can only come from corporate. Why have regional supervisors at all then ? It seems to me that 2 hours of my time was wasted, an hour of hers, an hour of some corporate slacker wasted as well all could have been avoided by one quick decision by a local manager to give me what I was promised. She cost Best Buy even more money by just being obstanant.

During my rant I made it known how much I've purchased from this Best Buy since it opened. I've bought a desktop, 2 dishwashers, a range, 2 vacuums, my home theater stereo, numerous vcrs and dvd players, and this year alone I've bought 2 laptops and a refrigerator. The least she could do would be to try to keep my business. She said it doesn't matter how much money you spend with us, it's store policy. That's bullshit - it should count for something. I treat my regular customers and bigger spenders with the service they expect so they keep coming back to me.

Didn't they have a big study and make a big deal last year about "devil" customers and rewarding good ones? It seems to me that If I spent that much in one restaurant, the manager would make sure I got a good table when I came in and that my meal was satisfactory. Shit, my auto repair shop treats me like freaking gold and I spend as much there as I do in Best Buy.

[quote name='varsitygamer']I've discovered that writing letters to corporate, even if they have already assisted in resolving an issue at a store, can do wonders. You have valid complaints which would serve you well should you voice them to corporate. Let them know how you felt, and how shitty the staff was, and that they're potentially losing a customer... one who actually buys the warranties![/QUOTE]

I gave up on doing that. E-mails, letters, and phone calls all have been pointless for me when it comes to Best Buy, Curcit City, and American Electronics. They have all said they would take care of it and have done nothing. I still get the crapy service. Hell this last time with Best Buy I was on the phone with corporate and they transfered me back to the store to be put on hold.

I had bought a GateWay laptop. I wanted it for class to run SQL Server, VB.Net, C#, Java and J# along with other stuff. I get it home I get online and I download SQL Server and it wont let me make the databases. I got all the updates needed had an instructer help me in class. Still would not work. I later on find out that Microsoft is having issues with Vista and SQL Server. Some computers it works, some SQL works but nothing will connect to it, or it wont work at all. So if I was able to get it to work then I run the risk that VB.net will not work with it so I could not write a database program and run it on the laptop. So I tried to call, and call, and call to try and return this with out them charging me the restocking fee.

I tried for an hour and finaly got some one. It was some one with Geek Squad. The transfered me to the Service Desk. Service Desk answeres the phone and asks me to hold. They hang up on me. So I got on the phone with corporate. After about another hour and 2 more calls to coporate I get the store manager. I told him the issue and that for me the laptop is defective because I can not use it for what I intended. He said bring it in that it will be waved.

I took it in and they said they would have to talk to him about it. They tried to call but he didn't answer. This point I'm thinking I'm geting the shaft and does any one at this place answer their phone. The asked some one and we were told that he went to lunch. Even the two at the service desk said that always happens. Some one okays somthing then goes to lunch and the customer shows up and they don't know what to do. Just after saying that they look over and the guy is standing out in the open playing on his PDA. They asked if he was on lunch or about to go and he said no. After that they asked about the laptop and he said it was okay.

That was the only time corporate has worked for me and all I was trying to do was talk to the store manager.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Reminds me of when my TV's light engine went poof, and I had to get a replacement part from Circuit City's warranty. They kept saying the part was worth $2000, but the tv was about $1000 or so new at the time. They wouldn't just give me a credit either, they just put in the new part.[/QUOTE]

They were full of it. The part is around 800 bucks. Atleast for my Hitachi it was. Also to anyone who buys a Hitachi don't expect much from them. They would rather the store deal with it but if you did not buy an extended service plan and it is still under the warrinty they cover(usually 30-90 days) they will take care of it. From what the service tech for American Electronics told me Hitachi is one of the better brands. So you should be in the good unless you some how get a crap tv. However don't expect them to replace a light bulb unless its less then 30 days.

Also what made me almost piss my pants was they knew my name and address when I called. All I did was give them the serial number for the tv. Hell I'm not even sure if I had given them that yet.

Sounds like a typical horrible experience with Best Buy customer service. These type of stores and my own experiences have stopped me from shopping there except when the have the clearance sales or with Best Buy bucks. Not to mention those best buy bucks (McDonald's Monpoly) bring out the worst in the managers like those that accused people redeeming $200 at a time of theft.

I mostly buy my music, movies or games from them. I tried to deal with them with car audio on time. That was not good. I bought a Sirius Satellite radio from them. Told the guy I had a Chevy Blazer and that I wanted the antenna run from the back to the front. I told him about the one I saw on Crutchfield.com that connected to the window and ran the wire inside. He said they could do that for 50 bucks. He said they would hide the wire for the antenna, power and to connect it to my Alpine headunit. I told the guy I had 2 12 inch subs in the back and he said it would be no problem.

After geting it all set up I show up on the day of the install. The guy doing the install looks at me and tells me that all I paied for was for them to install the antenna and run the power wire. I looked at the guy and said 50 bucks for that. I told him what the sales rep said it would cover. The guy told me that it doesnt but he would go with it but the rep should have never told me all that. Just as the sales rep walked by the guy asked me who it was that told me this. I could have told him that it was the guy walking by but knowing this place he would say he never told me that.

The guy ended up puting it in but did not run the antenna the way I wanted it. About 2 months later I went to have it taken out. They had said that if I ever want it taken out they would do it for free since I bought it from them and had them instal it. So I go in and the guy that sold it to me said I needed some white paper that said I paid for an instal. I looked at all the paper work I had when I got back in the car and it said I paid for one. I got home and looked to see if I forgot somthing. I didn't, I had all the paper work on me.

So now unless Best Buy is the best deal I only buy movies, music and games from them. Bad thing is all of the places around me are like this.

i read about this all the time at

http://www.bestbuysux.org/

this is another reason why I am holding off getting a large LCD from them. What means something now , could mean jack to them 2 or 3 years from now. The only times I shop with them is when they have a new dvd release or soundtrack release.

[quote name='bmulligan']I walked into Best Buy today to return a defective television that I purchased in 2003. It was recently diagnosed by a service technician as "unserviceable" and was told over the phone I could return it for a voucher for a new television. The rep told me it would cost Best Buy twice as much to repair this television than it would cost to offer me a refund. So, to make everyone happy, I agreed to take it into the store and get a new one.

I quickly got out my reciept and copy of the PSP, or Performance Service Plan which states: "Products...may be repaired or replaced with a comparable product, or we will issue a voucher for the original purchase price at our discretion."
I had that passage highlighted since I bought my TV almost 4 years ago. The kid who sold it to me gave me the lemon speech and said if my unit cannot be repaired, or is repaired more than 4 times, I'll get my money back. No questions asked. So I forked over another 25%, or $250 to get this all encompassing warranty. I'm sure you've all heard this speech. I heard it just last week when some kid was trying to unload a PS3 on some soccer mom and guaranteed her her money back if it breaks during the extended warranty period.

I asked the guy on the phone if I could use this voucher to get more expensive TV and without hesitation, he said yes, that would be no problem. "Great," I thought, "I'll take tomorrow off and go get a new TV that works."

This morning I made sure to call 1888-Best-Buy and spoke to a nice man about my situation and all events leading up to it. I asked specifically if I would receive a voucher for the purchase price of my TV to apply to a new one or upgrade to a better one. He wholeheartedly assured me this was the case and I should have no problems doing this. So, I ventured out with my son to do a few errands and our last stop before lunch was to get a new TV at BB.

After 2 disgruntled, low totem turds helped me remove the TV from my vehicle, one of them scoffed, "They're supposed to pick these warranty TV's up so we don't have to deal with them." Purposefully ignoring him, I strolled to the service counter to proudly present my warranty papers and receipt. Everything was going as smooth as silk as I was handed of to another subordinate who would help me obtain a replacement television. This, my friends, is the end of the pleasantries enjoyed at Best Buy today.

John, or Joe, or guy told me I could choose from 1 model of television as a replacement. A 32" HDTV widescreen tube television as my returned one was also a tube. I said that's unacceptable, not comparable, and not was what I had been told and I want to speak with a manager. Not being paid enough to deal with the likes of me, he left to find a superior- we'll call him Al. Al was your typical fast talking, strong arm type sales person put in place, no doubt, to fend off the daily irate customer who wanted to speak with someone in charge. After 3 more attempts, he finally relented and said he would go find THE manager. I made sure to follow him so that I wouldn't get the brush off.

After a few more attempts to tell me "he" wasn't in, I persisted. Knowing the manager was a woman I knew I was being lied to again and my voice started to grow louder. He relented and disappeared into the back. Reappearing 5 minutes later he informed me the manager would be out to see me shortly and she would find me because he described to her what I was wearing.

Ms. Manager- we'll call her Gail- listened patiently to my story and reiterated what the last 2 people had told me. I was only entitled to this samsung TV for $547 because my TV had depreciated in vale over the last 4 years and she determines it is comparable to my old TV. If I wanted another one she would only give me a credit for $547, not my original purchase price. I scoffed again, told her of my conversations with 1-888-best-buy and the fact that my warranty said she could offer my the purchase price at her discretion. She adamantly refused and told me there was nothing else she could do. I told her "no, there's nothing else you WILL do. You could choose to honor what everyone else at your company has told me - give me my purchase price back so I can get a new TV." She said she would not go against store policy, period. I asked for her regional supervisors name and she refused to give it to me. She said she was not allowed to give out names. I then asked if she would call a contact at corporate for me and she refused again saying I had to do that myself.

Now, knowing that repairing this TV would cost BB about $2000, I tried to rationalize with her that offering my my original price of $1000 would save Best buy over $1000. Of couse, though, rationalization doesn't mix well with authority types. She told me she would set up a repair and I should take my old TV back home. She even motioned her two grunts to wheel it to the front door. By this time at least 5 Male Employees had encircled us during our conversation yet remained at a safe distance of about 15 feet. I suppose it was to attempt to contain me had I the notion to throttle her right there on the sales floor. She then asked me if I needed help getting it back into my car. I said no, you can hold onto it while I shop and make a phone call.

1 hour later, after being transfered from 1-888-best-buy to a regional PR office, to a corporate PR office, they called the manager of the store and told her to give me a return of my purchase price and let me buy a more expensive TV. Ms. Manager met me at the service desk a few minutes later to tell me she would gladly give me the $547 credit and that corporate authorized the store to get a rebate so that she could offer me my purchase price back. And she said it like she was giving me a gift.

Why the fuck did I buy a new TV? Becuase I'm stuck. I gave them $250 for a service plan, now I got a credit and gave them another $1200 for a new TV. I can't go anywhere else with my credit - I'm stuck dealing with these turd-for-brains idiots. I just wanted to vent my frustration and maybe convince people to not shop there if at all possible. At least not at this store in Brighton, Michigan when purchasing any extended warranties for copious amounts of money. I don't know what other stores' managers are like but this one takes the cake, for me, as worst customer service ever. And it has nothing to do with Corporate - they're the ones who fixed my problem and satisfied me - so much so I don't mind giving them more money. It's the assholes who run this store that are the real pains in the ass.[/quote]

Now I remember why I don't work retail anymore, it's because of asshole customers like you who stand by and watch the employees lug your shit to or from your car for you. This is why I got smart when I worked for one of my last retail jobs and said 'I gotta go to the bathroom' anytime someone told me someone wanted carryout service.

The one time, I had some built sonofabitch stand there with arms folded while I alone lugged this 75-95 lb box of shit(one of those O'Sullivan wood panel entertainment centers) up into their truck, which was jacked up higher than a normal truck. The lazy sob finally helps me push it the rest of the way into the truck after I'd grunted n groaned to get it into the back.

Also, in your rant, you sound disinterested to know who was helping you or trying to, typical ignorant consumer. Of course, if that were me, I'd wanna KNOW the name of one of the people who gave me excuses about my PRP/PSP/whatever.

To sum up the rest of your diatribe, you think everyone is a grunt, there ONLY TO SERVE THE KING(you or so you think) and you wanted to choke the female manager because she wouldn't agree to YOUR terms. Wife beater, much?

NOW I understand why it takes 30-40 minutes to find anyone in Kmart, because of 'me, me, me' idiots like you who can't help yourselves and expect everyone to cater to you.

On a non-venting note though and to sum up for those on here with ADD, the PRP/PSP does say that they SHOULD give you your original purchase price back in a credit, so in that respect, they WERE wrong. But, you also acted like an asshole, thought of everyone as your personal manservants and have a holier than thou attitude about it.

You got a different tv, you got at least SOME of your $$$ back(in a credit) and you got use of the other tv for 4 years. But, some people are NEVER happy, I suppose.

I hate BestBuy. I've had a similar experience a couple of years ago. I was told that I could return if I wasn't happy with it. I did just that and they wanted threw a fit and said they would not allow it.

I was lucky my wife was there, cause she raised holy hell and they did not charge us a restocking fee. I mean, she was pissed. I was scared of her more than the Best Buy associate who sold us the set and told us we could return it.

IAmTheCheapestGamer -

The whole purpose of running a business is to make money. Happy customers make a business money. Just because you are malcontent with your job or unsatisfied with your experience as an employee doesn't mean you can be an asshole.

The OP was completely justified in his actions. Had he not stood his ground, he would have been out of significant money.

You attitude/general demeanor is so outrageous I can't really tell if you are actually being serious or not.

I had to return an amp at the very end of the 4 year warranty and had absolutely no problems, other than the whole "let's keep trying to repair it til it doesn't work at ALL" waiting aspect.. after the final attempt, I went to the store, got a gift card for the full purchase price, and they didn't even care what I spent it on (Which was another receiver but I don't think it had to be)...

Really sucks how it comes down to YMMV on service, especially something as "simple" as their replacement policies...

[quote name='captmurphy']IAmTheCheapestGamer -

The whole purpose of running a business is to make money. Happy customers make a business money. Just because you are malcontent with your job or unsatisfied with your experience as an employee doesn't mean you can be an asshole.

The OP was completely justified in his actions. Had he not stood his ground, he would have been out of significant money.

You attitude/general demeanor is so outrageous I can't really tell if you are actually being serious or not.[/quote]

But to call people low totem turds is ok, huh? Treating store employees like humans and not slaves to lug your shit around, is that TOO MUCH to ask? I mean, the OP didn't SAY it to those employees, but cmon, was all that namecalling called for? Calling the 'nazi youth' who surrounded him just that, again, it wasn't called for.

There have been instances of people going apeshit in stores and causing people physical harm, so if the OP decided to go that route, there wasn't supposed to be anyone around to try and pull him off the other employees?

Give me a break...there's being a customer and treated well, then there's being an asshole who wants to be catered to. The 'depreciation' thing could've been the store managers DISTRICT managers policy and if she deviated from it, she could've risked being fired.

Going to corporate with the problem WAS the way to handle it, but acting like an asshole and that you should be GUARANTEED something because of what it says on a piece of paper or what you were told(policies change all the time, you know) is ludicrous.

I also said that the policy WAS(when I bought my extended warranty for my Xbox in 2005)that you receive the original purchase price back on those PRPs, but again, it COULD have been a DM's doing with the whole 'depreciation' thing.

So again, you feel that the manager should've risked getting herself fired, if that WAS the policy in her area, JUST to make the OP happy?

And, from the sounds of things with the namecalling, someone(OP) needs some fucking Prozac.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Now I remember why I don't work retail anymore, it's because of asshole customers like you who stand by and watch the employees lug your shit to or from your car for you. This is why I got smart when I worked for one of my last retail jobs and said 'I gotta go to the bathroom' anytime someone told me someone wanted carryout service.[/quote]

That was your job, you whiny bitch.

IATCG
You get paid to work a job. You can only assume that they get paid to work at job too, so why should they have to do work that you're paid to do? Most grocery stores nowdays have the self checkouts there, and I don't give a damn if there's 10 of those open, I will always go to a real cashier. I could easily use the express checkout, but I don't want to, and the person there gets paid to do it, so why not? Not if the entire line is full though, but if there is not alot of people in a line it shouldn't matter. Yes, it was really dickish for the really buff guy to do that, but you have no idea what he has to go through at work, and you probably don't give a damn. Case in point.

The wife beater comment took away most of the credablity of that post, IMO. I hope that was a joke, becuase it's obvious that the guy wans't serious. I can say the same thing for all of the other comments he made.

Bottom line. No matter how he acted. If they would've done what they were supposed to in the first place without trying to shaft him, there wouldn't have been a problem. I think you've worked in retail so much that you've forgotten how it is to be a customer. He had a right to be pissed. So I guess you're going to be the guy that lets best buy rip you off just becuase you feel for the employees? fuck that.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Now I remember why I don't work retail anymore, it's because of asshole customers like you who stand by and watch the employees lug your shit to or from your car for you. This is why I got smart when I worked for one of my last retail jobs and said 'I gotta go to the bathroom' anytime someone told me someone wanted carryout service.[/quote]

It was your job - you, know, the one you were paid to do? Yeah, that. I have a close friend who did that very job at Best Buy for a couple of years, and you know what? He did it without whining and throwing temper tantrums about the mean customers who expected him to work and stuff. The closest to complaining I ever heard was when he occasionally told funny stories about customers who asked him to put large appliances in small cars.

I'll bet you're a real winner in your current job, too.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']IATCG
You get paid to work a job. You can only assume that they get paid to work at job too, so why should they have to do work that you're paid to do? Most grocery stores nowdays have the self checkouts there, and I don't give a damn if there's 10 of those open, I will always go to a real cashier. I could easily use the express checkout, but I don't want to, and the person there gets paid to do it, so why not? Not if the entire line is full though, but if there is not alot of people in a line it shouldn't matter. Yes, it was really dickish for the really buff guy to do that, but you have no idea what he has to go through at work, and you probably don't give a damn. Case in point.

The wife beater comment took away most of the credablity of that post, IMO. I hope that was a joke, becuase it's obvious that the guy wans't serious. I can say the same thing for all of the other comments he made.

Bottom line. No matter how he acted. If they would've done what they were supposed to in the first place without trying to shaft him, there wouldn't have been a problem. I think you've worked in retail so much that you've forgotten how it is to be a customer. He had a right to be pissed. So I guess you're going to be the guy that lets best buy rip you off just becuase you feel for the employees? fuck that.[/quote]

Like I said though, I know that the policy 2 years ago when I got my PRP for my Xbox WAS that you get what you paid for it back via a credit for that amount on a gift card or whatever.

But, what I took offense to were the rampant comments throughout the OP's rant that made it seem like the OP was/is a self centered asshole who thinks that the employees are there to cater to his every fucking whim.

Just because the one person lugging his tv outta his car for him(with his help) made a comment about 'aren't they supposed to pick these up so we don't have to', he's a low totem turd, huh? Nice attitude to have, if you ask me.

As for the wife beater comment, last I checked I'm entitled to an opinion and since the OP felt like he 'was gonna throttle that manager'(who just happened to be female), I felt the comment WAS warranted on my part.

I admit, I've raised my voice when I felt some policy or other was wrong, I've complained to the parent companies of the stores which 'wronged' me and in some cases, I even got a gift card or three for my time and trouble.

But, the OP's attitude and namecalling was definitely NOT called for. People who work in retail are HUMAN BEINGS too , not 'turd' or 'assholes' and they certainly don't and shouldn't have to put up with idiots demanding this or that, even if their own policy says different.

Again, I bring up that perhaps the local District Manager made an addendum to the PRP policy or something to that effect. And again, it comes down to, WHY should the manager risk getting herself fired to help ONE customer, when there's thousands of other people who wouldn't make this big of a stink.

Policies change, sometimes just at store level, though they should've made the OP aware of that when they bought the PRP, though maybe back then that depreciation policy wasn't in effect.

In cases like this it's nice to know a lawyer that will write letters on your behalf for very little cost. After I go thru all rungs of the company, I just pass it on to him and he writes a letter. I usually get a response really fast, and everything in writing is honored. I've only needed to do this a few times, and yes it takes patience (usually no longer then a week or so) but it always works out. Some companies just need a little legal grease to get the ball rolling.

[quote name='elmyra']It was your job - you, know, the one you were paid to do? Yeah, that. I have a close friend who did that very job at Best Buy for a couple of years, and you know what? He did it without whining and throwing temper tantrums about the mean customers who expected him to work and stuff. The closest to complaining I ever heard was when he occasionally told funny stories about customers who asked him to put large appliances in small cars.

I'll bet you're a real winner in your current job, too.[/quote]

Actually, I'm self employed now, so the only person I can yell at or gripe to is myself. And quite frankly, most of the time I don't wanna hear it. If you must know, I worked in a layaway department, I was the loft monkey who put away peoples layaway items. They had a seperate person for carryouts, but apparently I looked strong enough(and customer friendly enough, which I'm not)to do the carryout job. Plus, the guy who usually did carryouts worked weird shifts, where he'd come in at 10am and leave at 6 pm, just when the rush of customers would be coming in.

And I actually had a few people wanting oversized stuff put in smaller vehicles too, which I laugh about to this day, but that big strong guy standing there watching me put this shit in his truck still irks me still because of how built he was and how he didn't even lift one fuckin finger till I lifted that thing into his truck. At least when I ask for carryout or whatever, I help the store workers lifting the items and don't just stand there saying 'it's their job to do this'.

So, again, it wasn't MY job, but rather one I routinely got roped into since they thought I looked strong enough to lug peoples shit to their car for them, which is why I transferred to registers soon after and never looked back.

EDIT: I don't mean to come off so harsh, but the way the OP came off, they had a serious 'I'm better than them' attitude and people like that, need to be taken down a couple pegs imo.

After working at RadioShack I can sympathize with both ends of the spectrum. Sometimes the customers are visibily getting raped in the nose (the repair warranties while sounding fair mean that the customer has to be without the product for about two weeks) but I swear a lot of the times these people act as if the warranties are return policy extenders. If you buy a clearance model then you have to expect that we won't have the same thing a year later. You're going to have to go by what it says in the brochure. A gift card is mailed out for the exact price you paid. If you need something right away, buy it, return it and pay with the gift card.

Well, I still don't see what beating your wife would have anything to do with any of that, besides the anger. Seems like you just through that in there because you were mad that he referred to the guys as grunts and such.

Yes, that was quite dickish, I'll admit. The employees are, to a certain point, supposed to cator to his whim. Most all customers know that, and we all have a choice to be a dick about it and not be a dick about it. I try to be the ladder. Don't want to make someone's job harder but I also odn't want to give someone a " get out of work free" pass.

Oh, and I think you're being a bit anal about this. I don't think this guy is actually like that as a person. I don't know him at all, but I'm thinking that he was just really mad about his TV. And when you're really mad about something like that sometimes you can see things in a bit of a cynical, self centered perspective.

I really wish you would've had the second to last paragraph in your first post. That right there somewhat defines the line between the costumer and the person actually working at the establishment. Both somewhat selfish for their own reasons. There are just some instances where the customer just cna't be right, not matter how much they complain. Now that you've broughtten all of this up, it's really had to even take a side on this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTheCheapestGamer
pooflq9.jpg

I deleted my original posts because I came across as a bit too harsh. I've been on both sides of this argument and even had the 'attitude' of the employee who said about someone else picking up the tv, since I felt it wasn't MY job since I worked in a diff dept and wasn't given the carryout job.

The PRP IS supposed to provide the original cost you paid for the item BACK on a gift card in the event that the original item is NOT available any longer. Otherwise, it's supposed to provide an even swap out for the SAME item as purchased.

I just wonder how they'll handle my Xbox if I were to have a major problem with it prior to Nov of this year, since that's when my 2 year PRP runs out on it, since they no longer MAKE or stock them.

Either way, the OP got a little screwed, since they didn't get back the original $1k they paid, but something is better than nothing and they got 4 years of use out of it already before it broke.

I just took major offense to the attitude the OP had, calling people 'low totem turds' and 'feeling like they wanted to throttle the manager' and any other names I may have missed.

I mean, it's one thing to want something to be honored, but to be an asshole and namecall because they didn't cater to your whims right that second is ridiculous.

Agreed, IATCG!

Sometimes there is a fine line between being assertive and being rude. I'm sure the OP was the former... seems like a pleasant enough guy (and his son was there).

It is easy to get upset and use phrases like "low totem turds" when you have time to come home and brew on it for a little bit.

I've seen numerous people get all uppity with clerks in front of their and other peoples kids. Then again, these are the same people who usually let their kids wander all over the store and cause havoc while they're on their cell phones ignoring them.

Good to see that the OP kept their composure and didn't set a bad example, but really, the namecalling was uncalled for since those people are just trying to make a living.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I've seen numerous people get all uppity with clerks in front of their and other peoples kids. Then again, these are the same people who usually let their kids wander all over the store and cause havoc while they're on their cell phones ignoring them.

Good to see that the OP kept their composure and didn't set a bad example, but really, the namecalling was uncalled for since those people are just trying to make a living.[/quote]

You were a bit harsh in your original post, but the original poster of this thread was also harsh in calling all the employees nazis and tard monkeys.

They made a comment about hauling your big tv in, which probably weighs nearly 200 pounds, according to your about what they said, somebody should've done it and that's neither here or there. Unless they insulted you while taking it inside that comment would've better been left out, as the HJ reference also, which was probably no more than one or two other employees there just for protection since it sounded like you were getting very angry at the store.

My personal experience with Best Buy have been a mixed bag of both, I try to avoid it as much as possible unless they have a great price on an item, otherwise I'll just take my business elsewhere. People say it's isolated with one store, but I been to many and they're all pretty much the same, actually this goes along with most retail stores in general.

[quote name='bmulligan']Didn't they have a big study and make a big deal last year about "devil" customers and rewarding good ones? It seems to me that If I spent that much in one restaurant, the manager would make sure I got a good table when I came in and that my meal was satisfactory. Shit, my auto repair shop treats me like freaking gold and I spend as much there as I do in Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

I don't know that they did any studies. What I recall was that BB decided that they no longer wanted to be nice to "devil" customers (those who PMed, bought only loss leaders, etc?) - after all, they are losing money for every "devil" transaction. So, as per your "they ought to take my spending into consideration," as far as I can tell, you're absolutely right, in the sense that your spending shows that you aren't a devil.

You spend as much at the auto shop, huh? VW owner? ;)

I have 3 vehicles. Regular maintenance and repairs every year actually cost me more than I spend at Best Buy, but I digress...

Maybe the "low totem turd" description was a bit harsh - it was just my way of foreshadowing what was to come. I'm sure they're hard workers and obviously focus too hard on their job to say hello to me or acknowledge my presence.

Something else the Manager kept saying to me was that my TV has depreciated over the last 4 years and I'm only entitled to half a rebate (with the $547 tv she offered me). I was so angry I neglected to muster a counter that my $1k was worth a hell of a lot more 4 years ago and I should be getting a $1500 TV if she wanted to argue about depreciation vs inflation.

Oh well, all's well that ends well. I'm just not loking forward to ever have to deal with the management at that store ever again. I should have demanded a gift card like some others have done, I guess.

I think the problem with the Service Plan is that they sell it as "If it no longer works, just bring it in and swap it out for a new one." They don't mention anything about attempting to repair it.

Case in point, I bought a Dyson Vacuum. I had just gone through my 3rd vacuum in 3 years when I told myself, it's time to buy a good vacuum so I researched Dyson and BB just happened to have a sale that week. When I bought it, the sales person told me about the Protection Service Plan..."Buy it, if it breaks return it no questions asked and get a new one". So, for the price of the vacuum and the service plan on it, it was a no brainer to get the plan. Fast forward 1 year, and the clip holding the cannister breaks off. I take it to BB and the CSR tells me that they have to attempt to repair it, if it can't be fixed, then I can swap it out. The guy who sold it to me never mentioned that. The guy apoligized and said there was nothing he could do...it was Policy. The worst part was I was told it would take approximately 6 weeks to get the vacuum back. Less if they determined it could not be fixed. 6 WEEKS for a vacuum...With 3 kids and 2 dogs! Good think I owned a Shop Vac...lol.

It might not be policy, but don't you think it's the responsibility of the salesperson to mention that little tidbit about repairs before swap out?

bread's done
Back