My Wii's internal cooling fan is broken / Nyko Intercooler

Hush

CAGiversary!
Has anyone else experienced a broken internal cooling fan with their Wii?

The day I brought Super Mario Galaxy home, I played for about twenty minutes and the system just shut off unexpectedly and there was no standby light on or anything. I remembered reading something about the Wiiconnect24 causing overheating so I went in and disabled that (I had to unplug the power from the system to reset it and get the standby light to come back). After letting the system cool down for about an hour, I tried playing Mario again and the same thing happened again after about the same amount of time. On both instances I noticed the system felt hotter than usual. Messing with it some more, I noticed I could not hear the fan running or feel any air being blown out of the vent.

I'm just wondering if this is a common problem because I googled it and couldn't find any other people complaining about anything similar. I do plan on calling Nintendo up soon, as I still have a warranty, but in the mean time I picked up a Nyko Intercooler for 10 bucks so I can game over the upcoming holiday breaks.

I know the purpose of this thing is actually to improve air circulation in the Wii, but in my case, it is actually working in place of the broken internal fan. I must say, it works pretty good and keeps the Wii just as cool if not cooler than the internal fan did.

Just an update:

I took the Intercooler off and I was getting ready to call Nintendo to go through the troubleshooting, when I realized that the internal fan is working again. WTF? Oh well...

I had a Wii with a broken fan out of the box, and it behaved just like that. Of course, almost every Wii out there is still under its 1-year warranty, right?

Yeah, do you think I should still report it to them though? I'm afraid I'll send it in and the fan will just happen to be working when they get it and think nothing is wrong and not replace it.

For reference, if you send it in and they can't find a problem, they'll likely still replace it.

When they send them back, there's a little letter with a checksheet and whatnot... 'found problem, replaced component' 'found problem replaced system' etc etc.

Mine said 'could not find problem described, replaced console'.

So, my guess is that if you go through the hassle of returning it and they don't see your problem, they replace it anyway to cover their own ass, and to keep you happy.

I wouldn't worry about them 'not finding anything wrong'.

I thought they shipped you a "new" one and you sent the original back regardless if they find anything wrong with it when they get it.

[quote name='fshaia']I thought they shipped you a "new" one and you sent the original back regardless if they find anything wrong with it when they get it.[/QUOTE]

Nope theres a whole thread on this here. Thats not cos effective and would probably piss people off with their mii's and saves being lost, and friend codes all having to be re entered.

I believe you have a 15 month warranty if you register the Wii online (3 extra months for free through Nintendo).

I would send it back.

Or use a blower and blow on the wii (vacuum on reverse, not suck) probably dust stopping it from starting. They have a low torque and high speed fan in there I do believe.

Dood!! I have the same prob... my Wii loses all power after 15-20 minutes of being on. I haven't checked to see if my fan is busted though - but my Wii did fall off the mantle a while back... wondering if that broke it?

I'm hoping I can fix the fan myself or find a cooling fan attachment or something because my Wii is out of warranty now :(

bread's done
Back