My windshield is cracked, what can I expect?

ItsTrueItsTrue92

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I was replacing my windshield wipers when one of the things snapped back and cracked my windshield. Its a single line, about 4 inches long, right at the base of the windshield in the middle. What can I expect from a spot so small? In a similar situation, my sister's windshield only got worse when it was pressed down on. I know it can get worse but I'm just wondering how much time I have and I'm annoyed at myself because it happened.

[quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']I was replacing my windshield wipers when one of the things snapped back and cracked my windshield. Its a single line, about 4 inches long, right at the base of the windshield in the middle. What can I expect from a spot so small? In a similar situation, my sister's windshield only got worse when it was pressed down on. I know it can get worse but I'm just wondering how much time I have and I'm annoyed at myself because it happened.[/QUOTE]

call your insurance company maybe they will fix it for free

[quote name='slidecage']call your insurance company maybe they will fix it for free[/QUOTE]

And possibly jack your rate up next renewal too.

I wouldn't worry about it. I've had a crack in mine for a year now--I was worried it wouldn't pass state inspection but the guy said he'd pass it anyway.

If the crack is short enough, there are windshield repair places. I paid $65 to get a crack fixed on my truck and it is truly amazing. I wish I had before and after pics. They will tell you free if they can do it or not, but don't wait too long because I waited a bit on my car and the crack got a little bigger than they could fix so had to replace that one.

There is a product you can buy that will seal the crack. Depending on the type and severity of the crack the results will vary. I used to drive a high-speed road with a lot of rocks on it every day to work and had my windshield cracked several times. It usually worked or at least delayed the spread of the crack for a good deal of time. I think I got about 2 years out of it one time.

As long as it is not obscuring your view, if it was you could get pulled over. Mine goes from the bottom left to right and up my passenger side, but as long as its not infront of me I am cool and I have never really bothered to replace it.

I just wanna say that I think it could be dangerous if you have the crack for too long.

Are you doing to die from it ? Chances are no, but you should have someone who knows about cars take a look at it and see what should be done.

Maybe if you posted a pic of it some of the car guys here would have a better idea of how bad it is.

Its 4 inches long vertically. It starts right at the base of the windshield and sits in the middle horizontally. It doesn't obstruct my view at all, I'm just wondering if I should be worried about it.

I have had mine for 5 years no and no problems at all. If you can afford it, I say pay with it out of your own cash so insurance doesnt go up.

Just an FYI since nobody has mentioned it, if a cop decides to write a ticket for it, it's a $250 fine. At least as far as Ca is concerned. I don't know if it translates to your state.

If it spreads from edge to edge, replace it immediately. If it remains stagnant, try to replace it within few months. If it can be repaired @ a fix it place, awesome.

*putting himself through college as a delivery driver... broken way too many of these*

[quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']And what happened to the crack?[/QUOTE]

nothing, I found it a week ago.. No leaks or anything yet.

[quote name='Magehart']Just an FYI since nobody has mentioned it, if a cop decides to write a ticket for it, it's a $250 fine. At least as far as Ca is concerned. I don't know if it translates to your state.

If it spreads from edge to edge, replace it immediately. If it remains stagnant, try to replace it within few months. If it can be repaired @ a fix it place, awesome.

*putting himself through college as a delivery driver... broken way too many of these*[/QUOTE]

ahh shit. well gotta becareful in my state as they will hit me with a 3k ticket!! :(

[quote name='Magehart']Just an FYI since nobody has mentioned it, if a cop decides to write a ticket for it, it's a $250 fine. At least as far as Ca is concerned. I don't know if it translates to your state.

*putting himself through college as a delivery driver... broken way too many of these*[/QUOTE]

If a cop writes me a ticket I'll let him know it passed inspection like that, so what's he going to do--I have several friends that will vouch that it's been like that for the last year. No leaks, just looks bad.

I'm a CheapAssDriver, what can I say? :)

[quote name='Liquid 2']Does the crack let in water? If not, it shouldn't be a big deal.[/QUOTE]

My state will write you a ticket for it. I think its like $80. A new windshield is about $150. I would just wait to replace it though. I'm sure if you do get pulled over they'll just give you a warning if they even care since its so small.

[quote name='keithp']If a cop writes me a ticket I'll let him know it passed inspection like that, so what's he going to do--I have several friends that will vouch that it's been like that for the last year. No leaks, just looks bad.

I'm a CheapAssDriver, what can I say? :)[/QUOTE]

I don't think the cops care what your friends say. :)

"oh you didn't murder those kids, your friends are vouching for you alright have a nice day"

;) :)

It depends where the crack is.
If its in the way of the driver, in some states you can get a ticket (mine).

Your insurance may or may not cover windshield replacements, and it may or may not go up, depending on your policy (what your parents paid for).
Mine is a $100 deductable. Many glass shops will pay your deductable which will then make it free.

Had mine replaced a year ago, glass shop paid deductable, came to my work and replaced it. Since then I've got another chip and a second crack. The highway i drive to work is terrible for rocks.
The two new ones are on the passenger side so I just ignore.

[quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']I was replacing my windshield wipers when one of the things snapped back and cracked my windshield. Its a single line, about 4 inches long, right at the base of the windshield in the middle. What can I expect from a spot so small? In a similar situation, my sister's windshield only got worse when it was pressed down on. I know it can get worse but I'm just wondering how much time I have and I'm annoyed at myself because it happened.[/QUOTE]

........................................... What did you think would happen ;) This part made me laugh. Thanks OP!

go to www.safelite.com. they actually come to wherever you live and replace your windsheild. your insurance carrier will most likely cover it which you can figure out when you give them a call and get your estimate.

i used them before when my windsheild was busted and i must say it sure was nice to not even have to leave my house to get it fixed.

I had a small rock hit my windshield, and the small star crack did get much worse over time. A coworker suggested to put some clear fingernail polish on it to prevent the crack from spreading further until I got it fixed, and that did definately help.

Windshields are not very expensive to replace, and you may eventually have to do it to comply with the state inspection laws. The Progressive insurance agent said that the glass claim was minor and does not affect the rates at all, for what that is worth.

The glass company did come to my workplace to fix the windshield, as well. I never saw the van to know which company Progressive uses, but it looks like original glass. My rear view mirror fell off once since then, but it was insanely hot outside and the auto shop sells glue to repair this.

[quote name='Graystone']

I don't think the cops care what your friends say. :)

"oh you didn't murder those kids, your friends are vouching for you alright have a nice day"

;) :)[/QUOTE]

Obviously, but I'd be betting that the JUDGE would be more interested.

Anyway, I was just surprised (shocked really) that they let it slide, since I know for a fact it's against my state inspection rules. I was fully expecting to have to replace mine, but I think the guy felt sorry for me since I was spending so much money on other repairs.

And OP, mine was a rock from an 18-wheeler that was about a mile-and-a-half ahead of me on the freeway in the OTHER LANE. I drive alot for work and have had trucks spew up rocks and tear up my windshield before, so I thought I was being careful this time by being so far back and in another lane, but NOOOOO. Before I even got a half mile down the road it had spread over to almost half the windshield. Arrgh!

[quote name='keithp']And possibly jack your rate up next renewal too.

I wouldn't worry about it. I've had a crack in mine for a year now--I was worried it wouldn't pass state inspection but the guy said he'd pass it anyway.[/QUOTE]

:) that is why i said call. I got a crack in mine and they fixxed it didnt cost nothing ,... the repair didnt take now they got to replace the entire winsheild

depending on the crack it could spread to the point where you have to replace the windshield. friend got a brand new TSX, had a rock hit, didn't do anything that day, next morning... spread all over and had to be replaced.

[quote name='ITDEFX']ahh shit. well gotta becareful in my state as they will hit me with a 3k ticket!! :([/quote]

Yeah... when you can add a 0 to everything so the State can have a surplus... :lol:.

*Cali doesn't look so bad anymore... except for Gun Control*

bread's done
Back