My yellow lit PS3 from last year

davidb69

CAGiversary!
So late last year my 60 gig launch PS3 had the Yellow light of death. I was frustrated, pissed off and not very happy. Especially since 2 weeks prior my 360 red ringed(1 month after the warranty).

I was able to towel the 360, got it to boot up and traded it in to gamestop and got a 360 slim which I like more since it's quiet.

PS3 no such luck. I was playing MLB the show 10 and was in the 3rd inning and the system was on for 15 minutes max, I heard the beep, screen went black and the light was blinking red. Then I restarted the system and I looked closer to see the yellow light, I screamed and cursed and I didn't know what to do since I knew my PS3 was out of warranty but I wish I knew what I know now but let me continue with what happened. I took apart my PS3 in order to eject the MLB 10 the show disk from the drive. The fan blowing trick failed for me but manually taking it apart worked. I couldn't rebuild, I had no idea the way the system works with different connections. Since I was frustrated I gathered a lot of my PS3/360 collection and the next day I traded in those games and got a 120 gig ps3 system which I lost backwards compatibility. I was able to get back to playing but when I tried to move my 300 gig hard drive that I used on the old PS3 it wouldn't work. So frustrating again, so I lost all saved games.

I got over it and my old PS3 has been gathering dust till last week. I decided to call Sony. I just got my taxes back and I would like to have my PS3 working if the price would be reasonable. I called Sony on friday and explained honestly exactly what happened. The support desk seemed very helpful.

This is what they said. They took my credit card info, they said they would charge me $129 +taxes, if they could fix or give me a refurb machine(that would be another 60 gig model with backwards compatible) they said that it's possible they won't fix and would send me my unit back unfixed with NO CHARGE to my credit card. That being said I would have to believe they would fix or give me a refurb because why would they pay for me to ship a box to me, then pay for me to send it back to them via Fed Ex. If they won't at least fix it. So I agreed to these terms and friday I said ok. Yesterday, the coffin(box) arrived and I packed up my old PS3 and sent it away. According to Fed Ex Sony should have by friday. Another thing they quoted to me is that the turn around time would be 5-7 days so I might have a fixed PS3 by next friday. I will post further when I have more to update.

Wait so you took apart your PS3 and couldn't rebuild it and sent it to Sony in pieces? Even if you rebuilt it you screwed youself. Sony won't repair the console because you opened it and voided your warranty, so once they recieve it they will send it right back to you.

of course trying to move you old 300 gig hdd didn't work! What do all the kids say nowadays....oh "Cool story bro"

[quote name='Brian9824']Wait so you took apart your PS3 and couldn't rebuild it and sent it to Sony in pieces? Even if you rebuilt it you screwed youself. Sony won't repair the console because you opened it and voided your warranty, so once they recieve it they will send it right back to you.[/QUOTE]

I sent it together, screws in place, etc, just the cable connections were not reconnected, I am used to IDE cables but the cable type was unfamilier to me and didn't want to risk damaging the cables, If they took it apart they would know how to reconnect cables. Warranty doesn't apply for this, as I said since this was a launch system. Nothing was damaged by me and if they rebooted after reconnecting the wires they would get the same yellow light error that I was getting. I told them I did all this, so if they wouldn't try to repair it makes no sense for them to go forward and could just say to me, you opened it and we are not going to help. I will let you all know what happens

If you opened up the case, they won't fix it or replace it, regardless of it being under warranty or not.

They'll notice that the case has been opened, and if by some miracle they don't, they'll see the cables you left disconnected and know it'll be opened. Once they see that, they'll send it back to you unrepaired, and probably bill your credit card for shipping both directions.

Sucks man. My 60 gig is running like a tank. It still runs fine to this day. If you leave your console running too long thats what wears them down. Unlike computer where they wear down quickly from turning them on and off.

In any case, just simply turning my system off when I'm not using it has caused me to have several generations of playstations, Sega systems, and nintendo systems all in working order.

FYI, at least you're getting a better system out of the deal. 60 gigers are really loud by comparison to the new slim line. The latest revision to the PS3 out now is dead silent, my 60 giger sounds like a chain saw by comparison (it's still not as bad as a 360).

I've also found really don't play legacy games all that much anymore anyway. The BC feature I've only used a few times to play a PS1 (Castlevaina SOTN). I've never put a PS2 game in the system. Last gen and latter gaming really doesn't hold a candle to the current games out on the market. The crap they pull off these days is just crazy.

[quote name='shrike4242']If you opened up the case, they won't fix it or replace it, regardless of it being under warranty or not.

They'll notice that the case has been opened, and if by some miracle they don't, they'll see the cables you left disconnected and know it'll be opened. Once they see that, they'll send it back to you unrepaired, and probably bill your credit card for shipping both directions.[/QUOTE]

They quoted shipping as free, they stated it would be a 129 charge if they fixed, nothing if they don't. As I stated before, they know in advance about this, I was very matter of fact with them over the phone. Maybe I'm nieve, I will see within a week.

I know how you feel bro,

I bought my 60gig at launch and paid $600--it broke a few weeks back and I sent it to Sony for the $129 to get my system back. I just called them today and they sent it back to me few days ago. I sent it out on the 18th of Feb (Friday before the holiday weekend) and I will hopefully get it tomorrow or the next day...not a bad turn around really...I waited a couple weeks to send it out though, mulling over my choices, I too wanted a slim AND my BC system, eventually deciding I wanted the old model back. It's been a month or so and now I'm itching to play, especially since I got a new tv and K3 is out!

I had a 60gig hdd that I dropped and broke and put back in the system before I sent it to Sony...I was hoping to get my system back as I could have just put my old hdd back in and have my saves back but no such luck.

I don't get why they can't fix and send back the same system but prepare to get a "new" old model back as I am. Good luck with the process and I guess just be happy to get your old system back

Both consoles failing so close together. Maybe it could be your home? Is your heater close to your consoles or there could be high humidity at your home.

The price they quoted though is assuming you haven't tampered with the console. THey will not repair any opened console as you void the warranty by taking it apart.

They probably won't bill you but you aren't getting the system fixed for any price by them as they won't service opened units.

[quote name='Brian9824']The price they quoted though is assuming you haven't tampered with the console. THey will not repair any opened console as you void the warranty by taking it apart.

They probably won't bill you but you aren't getting the system fixed for any price by them as they won't service opened units.[/QUOTE]

SINCE THIS ISN'T A WARRANTY ISSUE, I don't get it why they would tell me to send it at all since I told them that I opened it.

[quote name='davidb69']SINCE THIS ISN'T A WARRANTY ISSUE, I don't get it why they would tell me to send it at all since I told them that I opened it.[/QUOTE]

maybe you got a 'special' customer service rep.
or, which is more possible, one that spoke very little english and just yes'ed you to death.
Im really sorry.... my 60G original died a few months ago and I was pissed, but mostly sad. For some reason i really liked that ps3. The new slim i got for $129 made me feel a little better though :)

Good luck.

They will not honor any warranty if you opened the seal but they will fix your system if you pay for it this has been the case for a long time.

wow.. what a thick bunch lol...
dude said that his PS3 is not under warranty anymore about 3 times...

[quote name='chimpian']maybe you got a 'special' customer service rep.
or, which is more possible, one that spoke very little english and just yes'ed you to death.
Im really sorry.... my 60G original died a few months ago and I was pissed, but mostly sad. For some reason i really liked that ps3. The new slim i got for $129 made me feel a little better though :)

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

I was in actual shock that the guy I spoke to spoke english. I never yelled at them and it was a very casual conversation and I just told the guy that I opened the system and because the connections were unfamilier to me and I fear damaging the connectors, I just left them disconnected. I went out of my way to mention this fact because I didn't really want to send them my system just to have them sent it back to me for no reason.

They gave you a non backwards compatible slim? That wouldn't be cool to me. It's expected to arrive back at Sony tomorrow, I've been tracking it. I plan on calling them next friday for an update.

My 80gb BC model died saturday, did the hair dryer in a box method so i can get my game disc out, played alittle bit of Black Ops online, got an hour into it before overheating/shutdown again, will soon be doing Reflow method from my work that does re-repair motherboards.
I've heard also that people have been trading in or getting refurbs of the same model from sony, they've been putting in the same refurb board over and over until both the chipsets starts to wear from reworking too many times so watch out. Not dogging Sony but every companys does that.

I called Sony today because I noticed I havn't gotten an email from them. I will wait till tomorrow before talking to an actual person but they say it will take 7 to 10 business days to get it back to me after they have recieved it. My opinion is, it was recieved via tracking last friday. I called them for an update, they say when I enter my number they don't have it but it takes 1-2 days to get it. So basically I need to call tomorrow, make sure they have it then, then I can let them know who signed for it and they can get me my machine back. I was hoping to have it for my son's birthday in 2 and a half weeks. 7 to 10 business days from today would make it March 22nd which I'd find acceptable.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called Sony again today. I entered the # again. Gave me the same message. Then I hit zero and waited 5 minutes on the phone to get someone. I talked with a gentlemen who reviewed everything to me and stated that they have my console and they will repair it but they will send me another PS3(same model #). He said my card will be charged later today or tomorrow, then on friday another system will ship back to my house that is fully functional. This means I should have a backward compatible PS3 again in about 10 days. He said the reason they take so long is the repairs are manual and takes a while for each system to get worked on. All and all sounds like I will have a happy ending. He also commented the automating stuff they do, is really not good and reliable, it's best to talk to someone.

so today i got my board re-flow manually and reassemble myself, so far so good i am re-downloading battlefield 2 updates right now its been almost 3 1/2 hour running but have not yet played some intense gaming to get the gpu going. Davidb69, the rep. might be right, you have to manually reflow the board, our team bake the board at 100 degree F for 24 hours to get all the moisture out then reflux/reflow each chip including the memory chip next to the CPU/GPU on a reflow machine that they got, surprised the machine also has an xbox360 reflow default setting.

I was in the middle of playing the RTTS mode in MLB 11 today for about a half hour and my 60GB shut down and couldn't get it to start back up. I was worried that this day would come someday as my friend who got his the same time as mine had his fail and even after getting it fixed, it did the same thing a little over a month later. I was seriously thinking about getting PSN+ to have the cloud saves and wish I would have now. I'm not too worried about most saves but I would like my GT5 save.

I tried the hair dryer thing for a bit but probably didn't hold it in place long enough as it did nothing and really didn't get that hot it seemed. I want to get my game out and would like to copy some of my saves at least. I think I may be able to fix it myself eventually with some videos I've found but I don't know if I'd ever trust it again and would be waiting for the next failure.

At least that proves everyone who claimed Sony wouldn't touch it, even though the warranty is well past expired, have no idea what they're talking about. It's been pretty well documented, even on these boards I believe, that as long as there are no modifications done to the system they will still replace it, as long as you pay of course.

[quote name='TimPV3']At least that proves everyone who claimed Sony wouldn't touch it, even though the warranty is well past expired, have no idea what they're talking about. It's been pretty well documented, even on these boards I believe, that as long as there are no modifications done to the system they will still replace it, as long as you pay of course.[/QUOTE]

I had my doubts, I am so happy right now though. I had no idea how this story would end.

[quote name='davidb69']Got my 60 gig ps3 today, so happy, installed my 320 gig and am downloading everything now[/QUOTE]
when you say "my 60 gig ps3", did you really get your same PS3 back or a replacement/refurbed PS3?

[quote name='cheapfrag']when you say "my 60 gig ps3", did you really get your same PS3 back or a replacement/refurbed PS3?[/QUOTE]

I got a replacement/refurb PS3. Customer service says it takes too long to do it any other way. Shame is, if I had the same MDL, I wouldn't have lossed my hard drive saves/movies.

UPDATE!!!
So apparently my reflow ps3 just YLOD again only after a little over a month of being reflow from my work. I've have heard some people have had it work from days to weeks to months but in my case its about a month. So now the question is do i bring it back to work with me tomorrow and have it reflow one more time or save a little money here and there so i can buy the slim model. I understand that if i call sony they will sell me a refurb one if i don't want to spend anymore money then i have to. I guess now i will have to decide soon especially i just picked up HOMEFRONT a couple of weeks ago but THQ having issues right now so i am not too concern about playing.

[quote name='frakingcylon615']UPDATE!!!
So apparently my reflow ps3 just YLOD again only after a little over a month of being reflow from my work. I've have heard some people have had it work from days to weeks to months but in my case its about a month. So now the question is do i bring it back to work with me tomorrow and have it reflow one more time or save a little money here and there so i can buy the slim model. I understand that if i call sony they will sell me a refurb one if i don't want to spend anymore money then i have to. I guess now i will have to decide soon especially i just picked up HOMEFRONT a couple of weeks ago but THQ having issues right now so i am not too concern about playing.[/QUOTE]

Reflow? You gotta Reball that mother fucker.

get it fixed again , transfer your saves , be sure to deacivate it ( games and video) , restore it to how it was when you first got it and then trade it in somewhere towards a slim.

yeh i want to reball it but they charge off the ass for the process so i guess my plan is to reflow it one more time then save alittle to buy the slim.

bread's done
Back