Mystery Science Theater 3000: 20th Anniversary pre-order on Amazon for 48.99

Yeah, I need to get some MST3K on dvd at some point, but the prices still seem a bit too high for me to bite.

Four good MSTs!

First Spaceship on Venus "don't order the Venetian pupu platter!"
Laserblast "the weiner debate ended peacefully"
Werewolf (absolute classic, every minute of this movie is gold!) "Yuri and Noel is in it together, but over my dead bohdy."
Future War "Is this a halfway house for huge guys?"

I already have all these, so spending $50 for the tin and crow figure is something I think I'm going to have to pass on. But If you've never seen Werewolf or Future War, this is a decent set.

[quote name='VirgiltheChicken']

Linked to Satellite News post. Cover art looks pretty sweet.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. Looks really sweet. I was on the fence at 60, but at Amazon's price I may bite. Only because I'm worried that this whole tin and figurine would be a limited set. Otherwise I usually buy my MST3K sets from DeepDiscount with the 20% off sale.

Sweet, so I see it's three Mike's and one Joel. I'll give this one a pre-order, thanks. The price is really good given the previous sets pricing order.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm all over this. Although I will have probably forgotten about it by the time November rolls around. Laserblast is one of my all-time favorite episodes.

[quote name='lwelyk']Prices still ridiculous...[/quote]

Not really when you consider you're getting 4 full-length movies.

With movies around $15-20 thats about $60-$80 value.

Weird, watched this show religiously when it was on Comedy Central - have nearly all of them on tape still. And yet I don't remember a single one of these episodes. I mean, I remember Manos, Hands of Fate, and Santa Claus vs The Martians. But these just don't ring a bell. Are they Joel or Mike eposodes?

Werewolf, Future War, and Laserblast are Mike episodes. Laserblast is also Dr. F's last show.
First Spaceship is Joel.

I saw this at comicon, it's a day one purchase for me. It took me years of tape trading to get all of the MST3K episodes, and it only seems right to buy the ones commercially released. The comicon panel will also be part of the DVD extras.

[quote name='squid']Werewolf, Future War, and Laserblast are Mike episodes. Laserblast is also Dr. F's last show.
First Spaceship is Joel.

I saw this at comicon, it's a day one purchase for me. It took me years of tape trading to get all of the MST3K episodes, and it only seems right to buy the ones commercially released. The comicon panel will also be part of the DVD extras.[/QUOTE]

Ah, see, I stopped watching it when it started moving all over so surely I missed the last Dr. F episode. I probably have First Spaceship though. I'll have to dig out my tapes. I still have fond memories of those Turkey Day marathons...

[quote name='drone8888']Not sure how you own them, as they were never released before now. I could never find them anyways :(

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?sec_id=2&&article_ID=13228
[/QUOTE]

I dunno - by taping the shows when they aired maybe? ;). That reminds me, I should use that combo VCR/DVD recorder I bought (for some really old tapes I had including rare video of me as a teenager ;)) to archive these as well. I bet my kids would get a kick out of watching them with me.

I pre-ordered this a few weeks ago, it is a bit pricey but it's MST3k, so I'm more than willing to shell out.

Plus you get your very own Crow T, how sweet is that ??

[quote name='squid']Werewolf, Future War, and Laserblast are Mike episodes. Laserblast is also Dr. F's last show.
First Spaceship is Joel.

I saw this at comicon, it's a day one purchase for me. It took me years of tape trading to get all of the MST3K episodes, and it only seems right to buy the ones commercially released. The comicon panel will also be part of the DVD extras.[/quote]
You don't have them all... if you do and you don't share the first three (4 if you include the pilot) KTMA episodes you are evil.

[quote name='PuNK45S']Not really when you consider you're getting 4 full-length movies.

With movies around $15-20 thats about $60-$80 value.[/quote]
Problem is, I'd prefer them in individual releases if they're pricing things that way. The point of box sets is you're saving money. That's why I never bought the Rhino DVDs, half the volumes had 2 episodes I didn't like, so I would be paying twice what I would prefer to pay. Besides, some of my favorite episodes will never make it to DVD due to the copyright. ;_;

[quote name='drone8888']Not sure how you own them, as they were never released before now. I could never find them anyways :([/quote]I'm pretty sure that was aimed at squid, but I have nearly all of them as well. Some of us took the "Keep Circulating the Tapes" directive to heart.

[quote name='io']Weird, watched this show religiously when it was on Comedy Central - have nearly all of them on tape still. And yet I don't remember a single one of these episodes. I mean, I remember Manos, Hands of Fate, and Santa Claus vs The Martians. But these just don't ring a bell. Are they Joel or Mike eposodes?[/quote]Those are two hallmark episodes; there are a lot of more easily forgotton episodes.

They switched to the sci fi channel after Comedy Central dropped the show after season 7. But these are, lets see...
First Spaceship on Venus was 211 (comedy central, joel)
Laserblast was ep 706 (very last comedy central episode, mike)
Werewolf was 904 (sci fi, mike)
Future War was 1004 (sci fi, mike)

[quote name='mguiddy']You don't have them all... if you do and you don't share the first three (4 if you include the pilot) KTMA episodes you are evil.[/quote]And if you have a decent quality Million Eyes of Su Maru, lemme know. Mine is like watching a screenful of mud.

[quote name='PuNK45S']Not really when you consider you're getting 4 full-length movies.

With movies around $15-20 thats about $60-$80 value.[/quote]

Yes, but are you really going to say these movies are worth $15? They would sell for no more than $5, and even that is too much.

[quote name='guinaevere']
They switched to the sci fi channel after Comedy Central dropped the show after season 7. But these are, lets see...
First Spaceship on Venus was 211 (comedy central, joel)
Laserblast was ep 706 (very last comedy central episode, mike)
Werewolf was 904 (sci fi, mike)
Future War was 1004 (sci fi, mike)

And if you have a decent quality Million Eyes of Su Maru, lemme know. Mine is like watching a screenful of mud.[/QUOTE]

Ah, see, I think I stopped watching when it went to SciFi. I think I didn't even have that channel on my cable at the time - or it could just be that I lost track of the show.

I'll take a look at my old tapes. This thread got me to consider converting all of them to DVD. I think they are in a tote in a closet somewhere - will have to dig them out. Mine should all be good as they were original recordings I made from the shows. (Ie, I don't have any dups). Once I convert them to DVD it is easy enough to make copies.

If anyone is looking for a good price on the upcoming first Shout Factory boxed set and you happen to be a member of the Columbia House DVD Club, then you might want to place your preorder from them, as they currently have it priced at $41.97 plus S&H. You also might be able to take advantage of special deals and promotions that the club offers like I did last week when they called me and informed me of their latest deal. In addition to earning more Fun Cash, by ordering the set and two other titles, I am now entitled to three free DVD titles in an order placed after all the titles in my original order ship. If you are a member and want to mail in your Columbia House DVD Club order on the order forms that come to you in your mailbox, the Shout Factory Mystery Science Theater 3000 20th Anniversary Edition boxed set is listed as Columbia House DVD Club Selection # 4972006.
Also, BestBuy.com has the set listed for preorder priced at $44.99.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...stery+science+theater&type=product&id=1894398
I think that's a decent price if you prefer to wait until the day the set is released (Provided that your local Best Buy carries the set in stock by checking the website's in-store availability option) in order to obtain it immediately. However, Best Buy has been known to have price discrepencies between their website prices and in-store prices, but they wil provide a pricematch on their website price in-store (Provideed you show them prood, i.e. a printed copy of the title webpage listing).
I wanted to mention that DeepDiscount.com had a listing for the set earlier this morning, but it seems that they have now taken it down. Maybe this is only temporary. As we all know, DeepDiscount runs regular 20% off coupon code sales in June and November, so it might be advisable to wait until the upcoming November sale is active so you can save even more. After all, the new set comes out just before the sale kicks off.

bread's done
Back