Name some good NES and Genesis Games!!!

pimpinc333

CAGiversary!
Feedback
107 (100%)
Hey name some of the best NES and Genesis game u can think of, im going old school gameing for these systems and need some games to play. Dont mention Shining force 1 and 2 i got them alreay... THX

What about master system games?

I used to love Black Belt and how you would beat the crap out of the stage bosses after beating them.

NES

Super Mario 2
Super Mario 3
Metroid
Adventures of Lolo
Zelda
Zelda 2
Mega Man
Bionic Commando
RC Pro Am 2
RC Pro Am
Dragon Warrior 2
Dragon Warrior 3

For Genesis:

Toejam & Earl. Best Genesis game ever.

Also some goodies:
Mutant League Football (this NEEDS a revival, EA!)
The Sonic the Hedgehog series, of course (2 especially)
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Rocket Knight Adventures
X-Men

Okay for Gen:
X-Men
X-Men 2
Maxmium Carnage
Sonic 1,2,3
Sonic and Knuckles (Play thru with Knuckles thru early games)
NHL 96 (Never played another hockey game after)
Sonic Spinball

More NES:

Punch Out (Mike Tyson's or White Tyson's)
Final Fantasy
Super Mario Bros.(Must own the first, plus it will cost you about 99 cents)
Bubble Bobble
Contra
Super C
Mega Man (or any on the system were pretty good, really)
Ghosts 'n' Goblins
Ice Hockey
Pro Wrestling

I can't disagree with any of the NES titles already listed either.
There's so many great ones....

My favorite Genesis game [other than Shining Force] is
Rock and Roll Racing. It's not Twisted Metal, but it's addicitive fun.

2 crude dudes, punisher and nick fury, kid chameleon, BOB, vectorman, x men, streets of rage series, battletoads, road rash, theres others i just cant think of them now.

NES:

River City Ransom (absolute MUST HAVE, unless you have a GBA and can wait till May for that port)

Bionic Commando

IKARI Warriors

Gauntlet 2 (get an NES Satellite for 4 player)

SuperSpike VBall (also Satellite)

Castlevania 2

Super C

Dr. Mario

Tetris

Ninja Gaiden 1, 2

Blaster Master (good call Indiana)

BLESS wildwop for mentioning river city ransom. the absolute best game there was for the NES.

also for the NES:

spy vs. spy - crude, nut oddly gratifying to f**k up your friends
ballon fight - better than joust
super dodge ball - any game with characters like these (i.e.: river city ransom) has been a dope game. not sure if they made renegade for NES. . .
uncle fester's quest - seems like obscure games, doesn't it? but this was a pretty fun game.

on the genesis side:

assault suit leynos - dope mecha game, hard as hell
eternal champions - great exclusive genesis fighting game
mortal kombat 2 - the original blood and gore on 16-bit
nhl '95 - someone mentioned '96, great game as well, but it's missing a quality that made '95 amazing, can't put my finger on it
joe montana's sports talk football - it had great, clean graphics back in its day, plus the cheesy play by play was funny.
aladdin - amazingly smooth side-scrolling adventure. I'd still play that today if I had it
earthworm jim - "wheeeeeee doggie! ooohh yeeeah. . . "

this list, is of course, in addition to the great games mentioned above.

good luck

I forgot to mention Codename: Viper for NES. There's a game that preceded this one, but I forgot the name (starts with an "R") that has similar gameplay and is also great.

If you've never played it, the game revolves around rescuing hostages by entering these turnstyle-type alcoves and untying them. You often use the "doors" (pressing up) to sneak by guards or get the jump on them. Hard to explain, I guess, but it's really fun.

Also check out Kung Fu Heroes. Very entertaining, especially in 2 player mode.

Some good NES games are Burger Time, Ducktales, Mighty Bomb Jack, Elevator Action, Bionic Commando, Kung Fu Heroes, Marble Madness, Dragon Power, Chip N' Dale Rescue Rangers, Ice Climbers, Ikari Warriors, Anticipation, Kid Icarus, Ninja Gaiden, NARC, Bad Dudes, Battletoads, Mike Tyson's Punch Out! (not the one with Vanilla Ice, err... I mean Mr. Dream), and then there are the obvious ones like Mega Man, Castlevania, Super Mario Bros., Contra, Double Dragon, etc...
There's just so many to list, I know I'll be kicking myself in about an hour for leaving something out, yeah like Paperboy :)

For Genesis I'd recommend Quackshot (and just about any other Disney game), Mutant League Football (NOT HOCKEY!!), Kid Chameleon, DecapAttack, Shining Force 1&2, Greendog, Boogerman, Battletoads/Double Dragon, Comix Zone, Mortal Kombat (Mortal Kombat for Sega Genesis is a great game, but the best of all time has to be Donkey Kong... Donkey Kong SUCKS!!... OH YEAH WELL YOU SUCK!!... or something like that haha), Toxic Crusaders, Vectorman, Michael Jackson Moonwalker, Global Gladiators, Streets Of Rage, and of course Sonic...
The thing with Genesis is, there were a lot of great games that never really got recognition so you might be able to find a few gems for cheap...
Just stay away from Sega CD and 32X if at all possible...
Oh and I'm not sure if it were released for Genesis, but I have Home Improvement for SNES, and yeah, don't get that, under any circumstances... :)
-Goatman

NES: SMB3, Basewars, Pro Wrestling, Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode (I liked it anyway).

Good lists up above.

[quote name='bileanddecay']super dodge ball - any game with characters like these (i.e.: river city ransom) has been a dope game. not sure if they made renegade for NES. . .
[/quote]

Yes they did, as I recall...

Everyone seems to have their head on straight with their lists.

Anyone remember the name of an NES game made by Konami. It was a 2player game where you controlled a jeep and and shot everything in sight.

[quote name='snotknocker']Anyone remember the name of an NES game made by Konami. It was a 2player game where you controlled a jeep and and shot everything in sight.[/quote]

Jackal.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal'][quote name='snotknocker']Anyone remember the name of an NES game made by Konami. It was a 2player game where you controlled a jeep and and shot everything in sight.[/quote]

Jackal.[/quote]

Thanks...... I was really tripping trying to remember that title

Jackal is a SWEET game. I own it. You are in a jeep and drive around picking up people and you shoot other jeeps and tanks.

How can people don't mention these games for Genesis

Shining Force series
Phantasy Star series
Warsong
Master of Monsters
Pirates! Gold

those are extreme classic good games

[quote name='goatindaruffness']
-Goatman[/quote]

Shame on you. There were some good games on the Sega CD:

-Sonic CD. In my opinion, the best and deepest 2D Sonic ever made.
-Snatcher. If you've never played this, I urge you to do so right away. This game is reason enough to own a Sega CD. I kid you not.
-The sequel to Eternal Champions. Or was it just an expanded version of the first one? I can't remember.
-Lunar 1 & 2. Although there are superior (and probably cheaper) versions on the PSX now, these are still worth mentioning. First RPG I actually enjoyed. Turned me onto RPGs for many years.
-Silpheed. Wonderful shooter in its day, although the sequel on PS2 was better, in my opinion.
-Heart of the Alien. Sega CD exclusive sequel to Out of This World. This is the main reason why I initially bought my Sega CD. It also includes the first game with enhanced music (although the graphics are not quite as good as the SNES version).
-Willy Beamish. Not exactly an adventure fan favorite, but I always loved it. Sega CD version includes fully spoken dialog.
-The Secret of Monkey Island. Sure, you can play this on a PC (if you can still get it to work with modern operating systems), but not with the fantastic updated CD audio. Warning: The name is misleading. To this day, I still have no idea what the secret is.
-Final Fight CD. It's simple math. 2 Players + Guy + An incredible sound track = Best Final Fight version ever.
-Star Wars Chess. Ok, it might not have been "good", but it's still entertaining to watch Chewbacca beat the hell out of everything.
-Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia. Wait, this doesn't belong here! Woops.
-Pretty much any ported Genesis game. The list is pretty big, but high lights include Ecco the Dolphin 1 & 2, Earthworm Jim: Special Edition, Flashback, and Hook (a very underappreciated side-scroller, IMHO). Generally the graphics are only slightly enhanced, but they usually include extra cut scenes and vastly improved music. The Genesis sound chip left much to be desired, and you will realize that after playing some of the Sega CD ports.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that the Sega CD is a decent investment. It has it's fair share of crap (every single FMV "game" comes to mind) but there were some great sleeper hits on that thing. The 32X, on the other hand - I've yet to find any redeeming value in that atrocity.

-Matt

[quote name='WildWop']I forgot to mention Codename: Viper for NES. There's a game that preceded this one, but I forgot the name (starts with an "R") that has similar gameplay and is also great.[/quote]

Rolling Thunder.

God I hated that game, it playing in such a way that you'd get shot by a guy behind a can and knocked back every time and by the time you got up again the guy would shoot and hit you again, after 3 of these cheesy exchanges of you trying to shoot the guy before you got knocked back you;d be dead and have to start the level over from the begining. I sold that thing 3 weeks after buying it.

2 GOOD games for the NES I dont think anyone mentioned:
Journey to Silius
Metal Storm

Also how about:
RC Pro-am (1 and 2)
Strider
Contra/Super C
Zanac

The sequel to Eternal Champions. Or was it just an expanded version of the first one? I can't remember

Expanded. Few new characters, backgrounds, stuff like that. Nothing terribly special, but if your going to play it, might as well play the version with "Cinekills." :D

[quote name='Mattfish'][quote name='goatindaruffness']
-Goatman[/quote]

Shame on you. There were some good games on the Sega CD:

-Sonic CD. In my opinion, the best and deepest 2D Sonic ever made.
-Snatcher. If you've never played this, I urge you to do so right away. This game is reason enough to own a Sega CD. I kid you not.
-The sequel to Eternal Champions. Or was it just an expanded version of the first one? I can't remember.
-Lunar 1 & 2. Although there are superior (and probably cheaper) versions on the PSX now, these are still worth mentioning. First RPG I actually enjoyed. Turned me onto RPGs for many years.
-Silpheed. Wonderful shooter in its day, although the sequel on PS2 was better, in my opinion.
-Heart of the Alien. Sega CD exclusive sequel to Out of This World. This is the main reason why I initially bought my Sega CD. It also includes the first game with enhanced music (although the graphics are not quite as good as the SNES version).
-Willy Beamish. Not exactly an adventure fan favorite, but I always loved it. Sega CD version includes fully spoken dialog.
-The Secret of Monkey Island. Sure, you can play this on a PC (if you can still get it to work with modern operating systems), but not with the fantastic updated CD audio. Warning: The name is misleading. To this day, I still have no idea what the secret is.
-Final Fight CD. It's simple math. 2 Players + Guy + An incredible sound track = Best Final Fight version ever.
-Star Wars Chess. Ok, it might not have been "good", but it's still entertaining to watch Chewbacca beat the hell out of everything.
-Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia. Wait, this doesn't belong here! Woops.
-Pretty much any ported Genesis game. The list is pretty big, but high lights include Ecco the Dolphin 1 & 2, Earthworm Jim: Special Edition, Flashback, and Hook (a very underappreciated side-scroller, IMHO). Generally the graphics are only slightly enhanced, but they usually include extra cut scenes and vastly improved music. The Genesis sound chip left much to be desired, and you will realize that after playing some of the Sega CD ports.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that the Sega CD is a decent investment. It has it's fair share of crap (every single FMV "game" comes to mind) but there were some great sleeper hits on that thing. The 32X, on the other hand - I've yet to find any redeeming value in that atrocity.

-Matt[/quote]

Nice. Snatcher has the best story of any game I've played. Sonic CD is awesome and Final Fight CD is great (the enhanced, voiced cinemas are kinda weird though, aren't they?) Wonder Dog is pretty good as well. For Genesis, in addition to the stuff mentioned, I recommend, Strider, Streets of Rage 2 and 3, and Shinobi III.

One thing I dislike about Genesis action games - compared to SNES games - is that they tend to be shorter and/or lack the ability to save.

[quote name='vshekar']
Nice. Snatcher has the best story of any game I've played. Sonic CD is awesome and Final Fight CD is great (the enhanced, voiced cinemas are kinda weird though, aren't they?) Wonder Dog is pretty good as well. For Genesis, in addition to the stuff mentioned, I recommend, Strider, Streets of Rage 2 and 3, and Shinobi III.

One thing I dislike about Genesis action games - compared to SNES games - is that they tend to be shorter and/or lack the ability to save.[/quote]

Yeah, Snatcher is incredible, isn't it? It's such a simple game, too. That's one I would love to see updated with modern hardware. I think they may have done this with the Saturn, but they never released the game in America. And yeah, Final Fight CD's voice acting is shamefully bad, but what would you expect from the company that also brought us Resident Evil? :lol:.

Genesis games always felt more "arcadey". I can't quite put my finger on why. Oh wait, I know! Blast Processing! Eh? Eh? Who remembers that?

-Matt

[quote name='repetske']Dont' forget Wallstreet Kid on NES. That game was the bomb. No seriously.[/quote]

I had that game when i was like 7, the only reason i got it was cuz the guy looked super cool holding that breifcase and sack of money lol, but its wasnt to bad of a game i guess>>>>

[quote name='Mattfish']

Yeah, Snatcher is incredible, isn't it? It's such a simple game, too. That's one I would love to see updated with modern hardware. I think they may have done this with the Saturn, but they never released the game in America. And yeah, Final Fight CD's voice acting is shamefully bad, but what would you expect from the company that also brought us Resident Evil? :lol:.

Genesis games always felt more "arcadey". I can't quite put my finger on why. Oh wait, I know! Blast Processing! Eh? Eh? Who remembers that?

-Matt[/quote]

A Snatcher remake would be great, although I doubt people would appreciate it. They could even add Guncon support! One of my favorite things about the game is gripping the Lethal Enforcers gun in one hand and knocking on a suspect's door, knowing you might have to open fire at any moment............

But what I really really want to see is a Policenauts remake, since that was never released in English, although, like Snatcher, it was released in Japan for the Saturn and PS1. When Konami, when?

Ice Hockey (I still play that! Anyone remember the "Rubber/Bouncy Puck Code???)

Someone already said Toe Jam & Earl.

Laugh all you want, but Dinoland pinball was addicting, very.

Star Tropics for NES. Most under rated NES RPG.

Surely someone already mentioned Earthbound? Ness is my hero. The big box one is cool to show off too.

And of course Ninja Turtles.

[quote name='b3b0p']
And of course Ninja Turtles.[/quote]

Hope you don't mean TMNT 1 for the NES. That thing is an ugly pain in the @ss

[quote name='The-Bavis'][quote name='b3b0p']

Hope you don't mean TMNT 1 for the NES. That thing is an ugly pain in the @ss[/quote]

I liked it. Side scrolling platformer Ninja Turtle Goodness :)

[quote name='b3b0p'][quote name='The-Bavis']

Hope you don't mean TMNT 1 for the NES. That thing is an ugly pain in the @ss[/quote]

TMNT 1 for the NES was rad. It was the only time Konami tried something other then the brawler formula after the success of the first arcade game. You know you liked it, too. Come on, the foot clan drove around in steam rollers!

-Matt

Genesis:
Home Alone (This a GREAT game, trust me)
Beavis and Butthead
All Sonic games

Nes:
Mario 3
Castlevania 3
Zelda 1 & 2
Ninja Gaiden
Adventures of Lolo 1 & 2
Punch-Out
Mega Man 2 & 3 (the whole series is good, these are just the best)
Maniac Manison (they dont make em like this anymore)
Blaster Master
Blades of Steel (best hockey game!)
Contra 1 & 2
Deja Vu
Double Dragon 2
DuckTales
Kid Icarus
RESCUE RANGERS
RoboCop
Strider
TMNT 2
Top gun 2
Bionic Commando

[quote name='DrunkTigerWoods']Genesis:
Home Alone (This a GREAT game, trust me)
Beavis and Butthead
All Sonic games

Nes:
Mario 3
Castlevania 3
Zelda 1 & 2
Ninja Gaiden
Adventures of Lolo 1 & 2
Punch-Out
Mega Man 2 & 3 (the whole series is good, these are just the best)
Maniac Manison (they dont make em like this anymore)
Blaster Master
Blades of Steel (best hockey game!)
Contra 1 & 2
Deja Vu
Double Dragon 2
DuckTales
Kid Icarus
RESCUE RANGERS
RoboCop
Strider
TMNT 2
Top gun 2
Bionic Commando[/quote]

Eh? You're recommending Strider on NES instead of on Genesis?

[quote name='The-Bavis'][quote name='b3b0p']

That game was my favorite out of my whole NES library, and not because I was a TMNT fanboy. That game was hard as hell, but I kept coming back for more. Definitely a classic.

[quote name='vshekar']
Eh? You're recommending Strider on NES instead of on Genesis?[/quote]
Strider on NES wasnt like the Arcade game, which I liked. I should also put down TMNT1, that was different than ALL the other turtles games.

bread's done
Back