Name that Console!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Can you identify a GameCube, PS2 (slim model), Xbox, and Xbox 360 by their fan & disc read noises? Here is your chance to find out!

UPDATE: Working Link:

http://traffic.libsyn.com/cheapyd/nextnameconsole.mp3

Name that Console! 1MB MP3 (includes all 4 sounds)

Isolated sounds:
Console #1
Console #2
Console #3
Console #4

Answers:
#1 Xbox (Halo Edition)
#2 PS2 (Slim)
#3 Xbox 360
#4 GameCube
Note: All sounds were recorded from the console's front, approximately 3 inches away.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Brak']The 360 sounds like my car.[/quote]
It probably would, if Cheapy decided to record the console sound with the Nyko Intercooler attached to it.

I know exactly how everything but the 360 sounds, but I'll be darned if I'm not having a tough time with this.

Just checked and it looks like I got them all right.

Yeah, that 360 is a beast. Doesn't annoy me as much as it used to. Then again, that may just because I've lost 15% of my hearing since last November.

How odd, I own none of the Xboxes but I was able to identify them. I was confused by the cube and ps2....... yet I've actually heard them. (though now I can hear the discs spinning on the cube).

Then again it's pretty obvious that the 360 must sound like hair dryer.

Whoever posted that maze, thank you for scaring me to death first thing after I woke up, haha.

That was hard, I'm not used to the noises being so loud, the fans confused me because I couldn't really hear the discs.

huzzah like brain age...this game has managed to embarass me as well

0 correct

my answers were as follows

xbox 360
GC
xbox
ps2

the sad part is I own all those systems.

I mixed up the xbox and the PS2. I could have swore that the xbox clip sounded like my large PS2. The 360 and the GC were easy to ID IMO.

I got them all right. I guess that makes me a geek. The 360 was a bit obvious even for people like me who have only seen it in the store behind a plastic display.

[quote name='evanft']I messed up on the PS2/GC ones. I have an old PS2, so it must sound different than a slim one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah my PS2 is freaking LOUD so I had it down in the 360's spot :lol:

[quote name='evanft']I messed up on the PS2/GC ones. I have an old PS2, so it must sound different than a slim one.[/QUOTE]

Defintely- I messed that up cuz I was listening for the upshift/downshift/occasional disc clicking all the older ps2 systems I've screwed with do...

I only got Xbox right. :cry: (Oddly enough, I don't own one.)

I didn't take into account that is was a PS2 slim so i mixed it up with 360, i should have realized my 360 is louder than my normal PS2. Gamecube is easy because of the scratching then the beep. Xbox i knew because of the clicks then the way it picks up in speed.

Dreamcast should have been included, for kicks. Who could fail to identify its disc reading sound? Like nails on a chalkboard.

Wasn't really difficult. It stands to reason that the two loudest machines would be the XBox and the XBox 360. Gamecube is recognizable from the weird clicking noise it makes when it spins. Slim PS2 is sleek and silent in comparison to all.

I've got issues...

I skipped through the "maze game" in a few seconds. The plus of having a tablet is that you can just select where on the screen you want the cursor to go next. Unfortunately, I just had the sound up from the console test. Thank you for blowing out my eardrums. You suck.

i got that. That was pretty easy. The 360 was loudest easily and then the xbox was loud too. Then i remembered the beeping noise from the cube.

Cool test, thanks!

PS2 slimline kinda threw me off... for some reason that loud disc spinning sound I remembered the GameCube doing, not the Slimline... funky.

360 sounds like a damn jet warming up... but hell I keep it more than 6' away from me =)

Whee, got all 4 even though I don't own two of them. I've heard the GC and PS2 spin up tons of times, and the remaining two were pretty easy to guess.

I got them all correct! Even though I only have a GC, all though I've owned a X-box and figured the 360 would be even louder.

bread's done
Back