Name Your Favorite 80s Songs!

[quote name='vrs1650']Party all the time- Eddie Murphy[/quote]

Rick James is awesome in that video. I love the way he keeps a beat.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='vrs1650']Party all the time- Eddie Murphy[/quote]

Rick James is awesome in that video. I love the way he keeps a beat.[/quote]

Might be the greatest song and video ever. Eddie was an underrated singer.

If You Leave - OMD
Take On Me - A-Ha
Vacation - Go Gos
Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears
Tainted Love - Soft Cell

You should have multiple Information Society songs,
Soft Cell - Tainted Love (extended version)
Gary Numan - Cars
Peter Schilling - Major Tom (Coming Home)
Wham - Careless Whisper, at the very least
Berlin - Sex, Metro, possibly more
The Cure - multiples
The Smiths - multiples

Edit:
I always liked the Bangles version of Hazy Shade of Winter, also Walk Like an Egyptian, Manic Monday.
You mentioned the Go-Gos, but you need more than vacation, add We Got the Beat and Our Lips Are Sealed.
Pet Shop Boys - multiple.
Timbuk 3 - The Future's So Bright (I Gotta Wear Shades)
Til Tuesday - Voices Carry
Crowded House - at least 3 songs.

Nothing screams 80s like Depeche Mode - People Are People (I'd throw in some more too)
And you may as well throw all of Pretty Hate Machine in there.

too many songs to name, but no one has mentioned ZZ top, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Dire Straits, or Def Leppard

There are a ton of 80's songs I love. If I made a list it would be too long for anyone to care

head over heels- Tears for Fears
Bizarre Love Triangle- New order
Human Nature- michael Jackson
Planet Rock- Afrika B.
That only jermaine jackson song that people know
Good Life and or Big Fun- Inner City
Din Da Da-George Kranz
Jack your Body- Steve Silk Hurley
Youre the one for me- D-train
Head like a hole- NIN

[quote name='WeaponX2099']head over heels- Tears for Fears
Planet Rock- Afrika B.
Din Da Da-George Kranz
Head like a hole- NIN[/quote]

Dynamite is the Jermaine Jackson song you are referring to (at least I am 99 percent sure that it is)

What about SRV?

robnsrv25up.jpg

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='WeaponX2099']head over heels- Tears for Fears
Planet Rock- Afrika B.
Din Da Da-George Kranz
Head like a hole- NIN[/quote]

Dynamite is the Jermaine Jackson song you are referring to (at least I am 99 percent sure that it is)[/quote]

No it 's called: Do what you do.

You guys are hitting all the obvious ones...want some variety? Try these:

Donnie Iris - Do You Compute
Donnie Iris - Aliah
The Divinyls - Sleeping Beauty
Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio
Fishbone - Party At Ground Zero
Pretty Much Anything by DEVO (Freedom of Choice, etc)
Afrika Bambatta and Johnny Rotten - Destruction
PIL - Seattle
Sinead O'Conner - Mandinka
Sisters of Mercy - This Corrosion
The Charlitans UK - The ONly One I know
Patty Smythe - Beat of a Heart
Peter Gabriel - Shock The Monkey (best video EVER)
The Specials - Ghost Town
etc, etc, etc

Those are pretty much synth-poppy 80's tunes, a few rockers in there....some variety...nothing metallic, just very-very 80's......and often overlooked in the sea of Huey Lewis and the News and Cynci Lauper and other 80's staples...

The 80's were by far the best decade ever for music....never before, and never since, has there been such a variety of music being presented to the masses.......we can thank the late 70's and the first four or five years of MTV for totally changing the face of music in the US.

Afrika Bambatta and JOHNNY ROTTEN!?!?!??!
wtf?

and I'd have to strongly disagree with you that the '80's were the best century for music. One of the worst IMO. I'd say the 60's were and are the best. Easily.

[quote name='RaekwonThaChef']Afrika Bambatta and JOHNNY ROTTEN!?!?!??!
wtf?

and I'd have to strongly disagree with you that the '80's were the best century for music. One of the worst IMO. I'd say the 60's were and are the best. Easily.[/quote]

I'd have to disagree with your statement that the 80's were a century ;)

[quote name='coldwine']Bela Lugosi's Dead by Bauhaus.[/quote]

:shock: I totally forgot about that song! I love Love and Rockets. Have you had a chance to listen to any of their songs?

[quote name='crazytalkx'][quote name='Zenithian Legend']What about SRV?
[/quote]
Second'd or third'd (casey).[/quote]

Actually that pic was for Casey, I meant to quote him, but I didn't for some reason. Anyway that's my uncle 20 years ago with SRV himself (of course)

[quote name='Zenithian Legend'][quote name='crazytalkx'][quote name='Zenithian Legend']What about SRV?
[/quote]

Actually that pic was for Casey, I meant to quote him, but I didn't for some reason. Anyway that's my uncle 20 years ago with SRV himself (of course)[/quote]

Cool. I actually just bought the CD "In Session" where SRV plays with Albert King in a live performance today. That shit is awe-inspiring. SRV's death was such a tragedy.

I thought about that statement last night, after I posted it...and I guess I do have to agree tha tthe 60's were the greatest decade for music...I dont know what I was thinking! :)

The 70's however were a dark time..certainly the mid 70's. NOTE...I'm not saying 70's music is bad (its not, hell I grew up on 70's music)...what I'm saying is that innovation and accessability were pretty low in the 70's...music became a bit "tired".

.....the movements started in the late 70's (punk, electronica, heck even rap and urban sounds, metal and thrash and so forth) exploded in the 80's, when lots of different musical styles became accessable to more people.

And yeah, Afrika Bambatta and John Lydon from PIL/Sex Pistols did a great tune called World Destruction (I think thats what its called)....its good stuff, look it up.....

Oingo Boingo - Nothing Bad Ever Happens to Me
Paul Simon - Boy In the Bubble

[quote name='Zenithian Legend'][quote name='crazytalkx'][quote name='Zenithian Legend']What about SRV?
[/quote]

Actually that pic was for Casey, I meant to quote him, but I didn't for some reason. Anyway that's my uncle 20 years ago with SRV himself (of course)[/quote]

my dad is huge into SRV. He saw him a long time before ghe got famous in a restuarant in Oakcliff along with his friend. At that time everyone thought Jimmy would be more famous (he was in the fabulous thunderbirds). Even back then he had a feather in his hat and his pants tucked into his boots.

Aside from that, every year they had the toy run in his name in Dallas, he went (until we moved). that thing went from something that was pretty small, to being huge.

also no one mentioned Herbie Hancock (at least not that I saw)

Adam and the Ants - Stand and Deliver
Yeah..Herbie Hancock - Rockit..

Heck...throw in Midnite Star - Freakazoid
:)

And the classic JAMONIT....but I can't remember who sings it....

And a SRV tale: Saw him in the late 80's when he toured with Robert Plant, might have been 88 or 89. Had craptacular seats behind the stage...and I mean WAAAAY behind the stage, but at about stage level. Halfway through his set, SRV runs behind the stage to about 20 of us holed up back there in the worst seats in the place, and one guy on a scaffolding had a spotlight on him, and during each of his songs while he was doing extended solos, hed run back to us and play...just for us. So he'd be doing his song, go into a nice solo, run back..play for us for 3 or 5 minutes, then run back.

I wasn't a huge SRV fan at the time, I mean I recognized his stuff but his sound wasn't where I was at, but I gained immense respect for him just because he kept running back to play for this small group of us. Whatta guy....a shame the truly talented die so young.

Might as well throw in a few more....

99 Luftballoons - Nena
Walk of Life - Dire Straits
Pet Shop Boys - Always on my mind
More than this - Roxy Music
I'll stop the world - Modern English
Purple Rain (or any track of the album) - Prince
Somebody Got Murdered - The Clash

I could go on for awhile tho. Ahh, how I remember staying up late to watch 120 Minutes with my mom on Sundays (mid-eighties)

[quote name='HeadRusch']You guys are hitting all the obvious ones...want some variety? Try these:
Donnie Iris - Aliah
Actually it's spelled "Ah! Leah!"
I'm not tyring to be a smart ass, it'll be easier should they try to find it. Great song, as is his "Love Is Like A Rock".

Those are pretty much synth-poppy 80's tunes, a few rockers in there....some variety...nothing metallic, just very-very 80's......and often overlooked in the sea of Huey Lewis and the News and Cynci Lauper and other 80's staples...

The 80's were by far the best decade ever for music....never before, and never since, has there been such a variety of music being presented to the masses.......we can thank the late 70's and the first four or five years of MTV for totally changing the face of music in the US.[/quote]

120 Minutes, HeadBangers Ball, and Yo! MTV Raps represented the best programming move that MTV ever did....you knew when to watch. Today you sorta get the same thing on VH1 Classics, but not really.....

MTV was great in its early years, when they'd have "Guest Hosts"...like....Freddy Kruger....haw haw haw...talk about your cheeze factor. Back when MTV was run out of 2 studios and everyone thought it was a "fad". I can still remember the big push to get MTV in Stereo...."Call up your cable company and get MTV, braodcast in stereo!".....and the Cable Company was like "Huh? Stereo? From a Cable Box? You're Crazy, kid!"

I love Love and Rockets. Have you had a chance to listen to any of their songs?

Sure have, LOL. I was lucky enough to be surrounded by people that were pretty deep into music.

Other songs:

The Church: Under the Milky Way
The Clan of XYMOX: Imagination
The Psychedelic Furs: Ghost in You
New Order: Blue Monday

This thread is awesome for a 32 year old man (myself) that grew up in the 80's, lots of nostalgia!

Seriously, I just have way too many favorites to even start to mention.

bread's done
Back