Name your own price for the new Radiohead album

jughead

CAGiversary!
Feedback
201 (99%)
http://www.inrainbows.com/Store/Quickindex.html

Name your own price for the new Radiohead album via digital download! Available for download October 10th. That sounds like a good deal. If you want the discbox your are gonna have to shell out 40 Euros.

DISCBOX
THIS CONSISTS OF THE NEW ALBUM, IN RAINBOWS, ON CD
AND ON 2 X 12 INCH HEAVYWEIGHT VINYL RECORDS.
A SECOND, ENHANCED CD CONTAINS MORE NEW SONGS, ALONG WITH DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHS AND ARTWORK.
THE DISCBOX ALSO INCLUDES ARTWORK AND LYRIC BOOKLETS.
ALL ARE ENCASED IN A HARDBACK BOOK AND SLIPCASE.

I'm goin 10 bucks... it's more than I would pay for any other CD but then again... Radiohead is the best band still playing music these days.

Soule

[quote name='jughead'] If you want the discbox your are gonna have to shell out 40 Euros.
[/QUOTE]

Not 40 euros 40 pounds (sterling) which is a bit over $80 these days.

jeez, you guys really are cheapasses. i'm paying about $10 for it. Seems about right based on the quality of their other releases.

Well, I guess you DO get a pretty nice assortment of goodies. I'm a fan, but not THAT much of a fan. I bet you have Drill, too, yes?

[quote name='jughead']Is there going to be a retail release around 15 bucks?[/QUOTE]I know what you mean... I'm not really digging the whole opposite extremes thing here.

[quote name='jughead']Is there going to be a retail release around 15 bucks?[/quote]
Radiohead isn't on a label at the moment, so there's nobody allowed to do a widespread release. Several labels are talking with them at the moment with hopes of an early 2008 retail release, but it looks like a lot of them are hesitant to sell it if fans can just go download it legally and for free (or almost free). So yeah. That's the current line. Nobody really seems to know what to do with this, though. It's the first time it's ever been done and the whole industry is kinda confused by it.

I never really was a fan of Radiohead... Their music seems too 'out there' for my tastes... But maybe with this download, I can learn to appreciate their music, I guess. ;)

I think its hilarious you can name your own price and Cheap Ass Gamers are still paying $10 & $15. Be less honest guys, jeez. Its just Radiohead, they're already filthy rich and probably not very inspired to write great music any more.

[quote name='freshzen']I think its hilarious you can name your own price and Cheap Ass Gamers are still paying $10 & $15. Be less honest guys, jeez. Its just Radiohead, they're already filthy rich and probably not very inspired to write great music any more.[/quote]
Exactly dude, I mean... We ARE in cheapassgamer.com, are we not? We jump on deals that would save us moolah, and this just happens to be a 'free' album... :whistle2:#

[quote name='TahoeMax']Radiohead isn't on a label at the moment, so there's nobody allowed to do a widespread release. Several labels are talking with them at the moment with hopes of an early 2008 retail release, but it looks like a lot of them are hesitant to sell it if fans can just go download it legally and for free (or almost free). So yeah. That's the current line. Nobody really seems to know what to do with this, though. It's the first time it's ever been done and the whole industry is kinda confused by it.[/QUOTE]
It has been done before, just not by any MAJOR bands*.

Harvey Danger did it a few years back and bands all the time are rumored to release torrents of their albums to get back at labels. I'm glad that radiohead is taking a stand and if they tour within a couple hours I will support their live music (at reasonable prices), I just don't like to support "albums" anymore.

*Prince also did it but is he really major anymore?

[quote name='TahoeMax']Radiohead isn't on a label at the moment, so there's nobody allowed to do a widespread release. Several labels are talking with them at the moment with hopes of an early 2008 retail release, but it looks like a lot of them are hesitant to sell it if fans can just go download it legally and for free (or almost free). So yeah. That's the current line. Nobody really seems to know what to do with this, though. It's the first time it's ever been done and the whole industry is kinda confused by it.[/QUOTE]

Well... Good for Radiohead. I hope it works out for them. Stickin' it to the man.

[quote name='spoo']It has been done before, just not by any MAJOR bands*.

Harvey Danger did it a few years back and bands all the time are rumored to release torrents of their albums to get back at labels. I'm glad that radiohead is taking a stand and if they tour within a couple hours I will support their live music (at reasonable prices), I just don't like to support "albums" anymore.

*Prince also did it but is he really major anymore?[/quote]

I think Prince will always be major...although why that is I do not know.

[quote name='jughead']Well... Good for Radiohead. I hope it works out for them. Stickin' it to the man.[/quote]

Theyre not trying to "stick it to the man" they had a bad deal with theyre past record label and were required to make 6 albums and with HTTT they finally got rid of Capitol, and now they are doing what they want to.

Theyre giving the real fans what they want (2 LPs, 2 cds, and art work and goodies out the ass) for a pretty reasonable price when you consider its about the same as the retail price of Halo 3. Then for the people who just want mp3's and dont care about having hard copies or better quality sound.

[quote name='karmapolice']Theyre not trying to "stick it to the man" they had a bad deal with theyre past record label and were required to make 6 albums and with HTTT they finally got rid of Capitol, and now they are doing what they want to.

Theyre giving the real fans what they want (2 LPs, 2 cds, and art work and goodies out the ass) for a pretty reasonable price when you consider its about the same as the retail price of Halo 3. Then for the people who just want mp3's and dont care about having hard copies or better quality sound.[/QUOTE]

... and stickin' it to the man.

In other words they are letting their fans' conscience decide how much the album is worth to them and basically telling them to put their money where there mouth is. Those who pay nothing would have either downloaded the album illegally or never would have bought it in the first place so I don't think they have too many concerns with those people but I am really interested in seeing the figures they put out.

This is definitely the first band with a huge following to do something like this so I think every record label and artist are looking towards this experiment. I myself would have paid $10 to $15 for the download but I'm definitely getting the box set once I figure out how to pay for it.

[quote name='souleman96']I'm goin 10 bucks... it's more than I would pay for any other CD but then again... Radiohead is the best band still playing music these days.

Soule[/quote]
Very true. 'O.K. Computer' and 'The Bends' still one of my favorite albums of all time. I'm probably in for $8 since the last album wasn't as good (not to say it was bad).

They were talking about this on the radio. I guess they're asking people to stop downloading it cause their site is getting so much traffic.

Oh, and somebody paid $500 for the download LOL

The fun thing is that nobody is actually downloading it yet. Let's see how their servers hold up once the files are actually up there.

I'm kinda glad I didn't pay for the MP3, 160KBPS is not what I was expecting. Do they give a better dl for paying customers?

*I'm not bitching since I'm getting it for free, but if I paid for it I would be a bit upset.

you'd rather have 10MB files? I rip all of my music at 128 and have no problem with it at all. i can't tell the difference between that and a retail CD, myself. Guess I'm just not a true audiophile.

[quote name='TahoeMax']you'd rather have 10MB files? I rip all of my music at 128 and have no problem with it at all. i can't tell the difference between that and a retail CD, myself. Guess I'm just not a true audiophile.[/quote]

Nah, you just need better speakers (maybe). I don't notice a difference at low volumes, but when you stream it through a home theatre, FLAC is the only way to go. ;)

I just downloaded it about an hour ago. It reminds me of their older stuff i.e. The Bends.

I paid close to $7 for it.

Im the kind of person who tries before he buys.So,I downloaded it for free.I feel kinda bad now since Im really enjoying their new album.

Just got my email code and downloaded the album. It's really easy to get into, even for the casual Radiohead fan. I paid 10$ which is what it would have probably been at BB or CC on release. It's easily worth 20$. I'm going to have to check out turntable prices before I drop 80$ for the box set. And for anybody taking it for free, all I have to say is "Hail to the Thief".

[quote name='InvaderZim']Looks like Nine Inch Nails might be trying the same think next year...[/quote]
I was just going to post this. I wish I could find the quote from Trent Reznor because it was awesome; it went something like "Steal it, steal my music and give it to your friends" because he's so sick of the recording contracts -- awesome.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I was just going to post this. I wish I could find the quote from Trent Reznor because it was awesome; it went something like "Steal it, steal my music and give it to your friends" because he's so sick of the recording contracts -- awesome.[/quote]
Trent Reznor encouraged their fans to download the album for free when he found out that those people's country was charging the equivalent of $30 for Year Zero.

bread's done
Back