NASA chief interview - is this a joke?

That is pathetic.

"He said the United States is not going to travel beyond low-Earth orbit on its own and that no country is going to make it to Mars without international help."

It is amazing the top minds have no goals.

I thought it was a joke too. I was led to believe Obama had eradicated NASA and taken over our entire healthcare system.

I'm glad it's not a joke, and that NASA still exists.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']That is pathetic.

"He said the United States is not going to travel beyond low-Earth orbit on its own and that no country is going to make it to Mars without international help."

It is amazing the top minds have no goals.[/QUOTE]

The goal is international cooperation to further humanity's presence in space.

The United States is capable of doing it on it's own. The problem is Congress won't fund it, and hasn't funded it properly since Apollo.

So, NASA is taking the "fair share" route. As in, the US isn't going to be footing 90% of the bill anymore, and other countries need to step up in a multi-national endeavor.

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']The goal is international cooperation to further humanity's presence in space.

The United States is capable of doing it on it's own. The problem is Congress won't fund it, and hasn't funded it properly since Apollo.

So, NASA is taking the "fair share" route. As in, the US isn't going to be footing 90% of the bill anymore, and other countries need to step up in a multi-national endeavor.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

I think NASA is trying to be a real life Venture Brothers.

Wtf does NASA have to do with strengthening ties with muslim nations? Wouldn't that be the job of diplomats and the state department? Either way, there will be no end of jokes coming from this now. "First camel in space" har har...

[quote name='HotShotX']The goal is international cooperation to further humanity's presence in space.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

Sure, working with other nations on space travel will be important for the future. Russia, China, Japan, Europe... but what I fail to see how the "foremost" goal would be improving relations with the Muslim world, as they would bring little to the table in exploration (at this point and for the foreseeable future).

~RAMSTORIA

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Sure, working with other nations on space travel will be important for the future. Russia, China, Japan, Europe... but what I fail to see how the "foremost" goal would be improving relations with the Muslim world, as they would bring little to the table in exploration (at this point and for the foreseeable future).

~RAMSTORIA[/QUOTE]

I guess a place like Dubai has alot of money, but I'm guessing they'd rather build playgrounds for the rich rather then anything serious. I doubt this hokum is going to pursuede a sultan to fund the space program when he's already thinking of adding another wing to the harem.

NASA is nothing more than just a festering wound hemorraging money, space should be our last concern right now. Its space programs should be shut down and limited to research only for awhile.

We dont need to worry about going into space or anything off planet. We need to worry about fixing our country and our own problems first instead of just pumping billions into shit that doesnt help us now and has no realistic and tangible real benefit for the future either. We have way to many problems right now on earth in our faces to worry about whats above the clouds.

We have so many problems that between nasa and the war in iraq shit we lose unbelievable amounts of money, time, resources, energy and manpower every day that could be used to help fix the problems we have in america.

[quote name='gargus']NASA is nothing more than just a festering wound hemorraging money, space should be our last concern right now. Its space programs should be shut down and limited to research only for awhile.

We dont need to worry about going into space or anything off planet. We need to worry about fixing our country and our own problems first instead of just pumping billions into shit that doesnt help us now and has no realistic and tangible real benefit for the future either. We have way to many problems right now on earth in our faces to worry about whats above the clouds.

We have so many problems that between nasa and the war in iraq shit we lose unbelievable amounts of money, time, resources, energy and manpower every day that could be used to help fix the problems we have in america.[/QUOTE]

Do you wear glasses?

Because he's short sighted? *rimshot*

Seriously though, the space program has led to quite a few technological innovations over the years, I don't think shutting down space flight is a good thing. I don't see the Saudis being interested in space exploration, or any other Muslim country really.

I roll my eyes every time someone rails against NASA, which represents a minuscule portion of our federal budget and yet has led to countless advances which benefit us every single day.

NASA's just an easy target, that's all. We should be giving them more money, not less.

Same. The sciences are one of the few areas that I'm 100% behind federal spending and feel it needs to be vastly increased.

[quote name='gargus']
We have so many problems that between nasa and the war in iraq shit we lose unbelievable amounts of money, time, resources, energy and manpower every day that could be used to help fix the problems we have in america.[/QUOTE]

This was just a quick and dirty calculation, so I could be off, but in 2009 for the total cost of appropriations for just the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan we could have had about 9 NASAs. It's ridiculous to lump NASA in with "defense" spending.

bread's done
Back