SynGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
logow0.png

Developer: Eutechnyx
Publisher: Activision
Platforms: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii
Release date: March 29th, 2011 (April 2011 for Wii)
Official site: http://www.nascarthegame.com/
Preorder: Amazon - PS3 . 360 . Wii | GameStop - PS3 . 360 . Wii

[FEATURES]

Career Mode
Players progress through the grandeur of the NASCAR racing championships – The adrenaline-pumping NASCAR Sprint Cup series. Career mode provides the opportunity to compete at all the real-world NASCAR tracks alongside 42 other NASCAR legends - battling for points, victories, cups, and other race rewards. Drivers perfect their pit-stops, and master their racing reflexes in order to make ‘The Chase’, the final 10 races towards stardom and the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship.​

Ferocious Damage and Wrecks
Using the Eutechnyx Damage and Wreck System cars are catapulted into the air, barrel-rolling over one another. Metal twists and tears like cloth, whilst sparks and fragments scatter across the track. Debris that litters the track is actual parts off the car.

The damage system allows all areas of the car to realistically display damage build up, in direct relation to impacts and action throughout the race. Damaged panels react to inertia and vibrate realistically in relation to the car’s velocity...​

Pit Stops
Pit stops and NASCAR go hand in hand. Throughout career mode, single player events and online multiplayer*, pit stop strategy and efficiency is a fun and immersive part of the race.

The pit stop sequences in the game mimic that of the real thing. Players witness their crew working efficiently to change all four tyres, refuel and dial out handling deficiencies in the car, all in under 14 seconds. All pit stop animations are fully motion captured from a real NASCAR Sprint Cup team.​

Spotter
Spotter feedback informs the player of the drivers in the race that will work with him, to bump draft, block, or slingshot, all in real-time. Invaluable advice from the spotter also alerts the player to any hazards up ahead, opponents closing the gap or attempting to pass, as well as how to react.

The player’s Spotter advises with VO on the areas of the car concerning the team, as well as make real-time, calculated suggestions on the pit strategy.

VO advice is based upon the car’s current fuel levels, tire wear, and the player’s position in the race, in association with the number of laps left. Even the player’s position in the overall standings is taken into account - giving dynamic, informative and invaluable advice to the player.​

Online Play
NASCAR The Game 2011 supports online racing, with up to 16 player races and offers players additional modes of gameplay and the chance to increase their online skill rating.

Players can join or create private multiplayer lobbies with ease, utilizing a choice of pre-defined race styles and additional race settings to create the race they want. Pit stops, tire wear, fuel consumption and caution flags can all feature in an online race if the player wishes.

Players have the freedom to race with any of their cars online, any custom paint schemes and any tuning setups. Online play and split-screen also allows players to race as any of their favourite NASCAR drivers.​

[SCREENSHOTS]

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait for this to come out. hopefully they do it right, it should atleast be better than the EA games though.

GT5 has a taste of NASCAR. It has about 10 cars and only 2 tracks from the NASCAR season. There is no season mode, either. You can take the cars to just about any track, though. I took my preorder bonus Joey Logano car to the last event of the third level (the one that gives you the ending movie), and I totally dominated.

The 10 or so cars? Eh... off the top of my head... Dale Earnhardt Jr., Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Juan Pablo Montoya, Kyle Busch, Joey Logano (regular and preorder bonus if you have it), AJ Allmendinger, Tony Stewart, and maybe a couple more.

The 2 tracks are Daytona and Indy.

Only a few days (4) left. Getting this for the PS3 (and perhaps 360 later). Really looking forward to the first full NASCAR game in 3+ years. If anyone else is getting it, I'll be looking to race online if anyone is interested.

I really hope this game doesn't suck. I am a Nascar fan and I would love to play a good one that isn't the EA's rehash every year. I have no hopes though.

Everything indicates the game will be a good first attempt. They seem to be doing everything right and bringing the right people on to help, unlike EA who just churned out a game each year to say that released it.

Game is out. Solid so far, though I've only been able to play for a couple of hours. First impressions: Awesome :D The AI is a bit weak, and cautions need major tweaking, but overall, it's a FUN NASCAR game to play, something I wasn't able to say about EA's attempts this generation.

[quote name='SynGamer']Game is out. Solid so far, though I've only been able to play for a couple of hours. First impressions: Awesome :D The AI is a bit weak, and cautions need major tweaking, but overall, it's a FUN NASCAR game to play, something I wasn't able to say about EA's attempts this generation.[/QUOTE]

Hell EA's Nascar game has seen little to no improvements since 1998. I know this for a fact because I owned the N64 version of I think Nascar 98. I wish there was a demo or something I could try because I am still bummed by the generic EA games.

I popped the game in shortly after getting home from work on Tuesday and after a painless update, was up and running. The first thing I see (after skipping the Activision logo) is that familiar trailer we saw months ago, still as entertaining as the first time I saw it but it's a video...I want to play. I press X I'm at the Start Screen...

The loading screens are immediately welcomed. They consist of a simple trivia question with 5 seconds to come up with an answer. Sadly, the player can choose anything, it's simply to educate people. Still, I'm not at the main screen and it's awesome. We're inside the garage of Jeff Gordon and his team as he is the driver I selected. People are walking around outside (and a few members inside the garage are idling chatting). I can select from Career, Single Player, Multiplayer, Car, Driver, and Options. I select Single Player, pick my car, and choose Race Now. I could have selected Track Testing or Eliminator, but I want some straight up racing. The next screen I get to select the track, I choose Las Vegas. Up Opponent Difficulty to "Very Hard" with the other settings set to "Quick". 42 opponents, 6 laps, no qualifying, tire wear and fuel off, damage is cosmetic, and cautions off. Hit X and I get to choose my assists and setup. Pro seems appropriate enough for my first race. Off we go!

A new loading screen shows up, this time with a map of the country and pins of all the tracks. The badge slowly swings with 0 for all my stats :p Loading takes about...15-20 seconds, not bad.

OK, I'm on the track, last place, 6 laps, pssh, easy. The green flag drops and I immediately nearly spin out. Ha! A little too much wheel on the straight, my bad. Thankfully I bounce off the outside wall lightly and am only a few car lengths behind 42nd. I gather my car up and go into the corner. "BRAKE!" appears on the screen, I'll have to turn that off later, as helpful as it was, I like a clean HUD, aside from the necessities. I get into turn 1 and the car feels great. Already a major improvement over previous NASCAR games when it comes to handling. I fly by a few cars on the outside and...hit the wall. Too fast it seems. I barrel down the backstretch and get a good draft off of the cars ahead of me and brake a little earlier this time and make a few clean passes. 6 laps isn't going to be enough to win this thing but I can aim for top 20 at least. the next few laps I try to hit my marks if at all possible, I don't, but the car is generally fast enough that I can go in a lane or two higher than I want and keep the speed coming out of the turn. I'm up to 31st on lap 5 and going into turn 1 I get bumped by the AI from behind. My car gets loose, I get sideways, but save it, but I'm back to 33rd position now. I enter the last lap, get into turn 1 a bit hot but I keep it off the wall. Final turn now, I'm in 31st, on the tail of the car ahead of me. I bump them slightly, what most drivers would call a bump n' run, and I get underneath and a good driver off and finish the race in 30th place.

*Huge grin on my face* "That was fun". The screens shows that I've leveled up, cool. I immediately choose "Race Again" and this time is a bit cleaner. I finish 20th. Awesome. So far, the graphics are great, but the AI is leaving a bit to be desired. Perhaps the AI is scaled to the number of laps, and the first 20-30 cars are slower...either way, I love how they bump and bang on the track, but I am concerned with how much checking up they do early on. Once the cars get spread out they seem to race fine, but those first 2-3 laps they check up in just about ever turn, making it really easy for me to pass...

My fiancé wants to watch some show coming on in about 30 minutes so I jump into multiplayer, choose online (instead of split screen) and select Quick Race. My first race is Phoenix. Cool, I like this track. When I get in the race timer is at 25 seconds. We end up starting with five people, myself included. Loading takes a bit longer this time, though I saw a custom scheme load I think. Still, only took about 20-30 seconds. OK, the race is starting, I'm on the outside. Green flag drops and we're off...straight into the infield. Seems all of us are still having issues with how much wheel to put into the car when the race starts We gather ourselves up and the races continues on fairly event free. I make a few passes and am somehow in first, though second place is closely behind. It's a short race, only a few laps (6?) and on the last lap the 2nd place player gets into the turn a bit hot and drifts up. I win my first race online, YES!

The next 4 races yield the same results. 5 races, 5 wins, this is obviously leaving a good first impression. The next few races aren't as kind, with one player, name withheld, wrecking some people during each race, myself included being caught up a few times...

But enough of me rambling, here is a quick breakdown of my impressions:

GOOD:
Handling is solid, the cars feel good
Graphics look amazing
The cars and atmosphere sound great

BAD:
Slow AI
Texture tearing on some tracks
Damage modeling is a bit unrealistic, cool, but unrealistic

UGLY:
No option to kick players online
Random glitches when racing online
Lag/bad hosts online

If I HAD to give the game a rating, I'd say 8 out of 10. It's solid, and hopefully with a couple of patches the online issues are resolved. I would like some clarification on whether or not the AI is scaled with the races...if not, then they need to be improved, if so, then it makes perfect sense :)

I don't watch NASCAR but heard a lot about NASCAR The Game 2011. Playing a NASCAR game on PS1 with my buddies was a wild experience but can't remember which was that.

bread's done
Back