Natal's official name - KINECT!

[quote name='Kezmer']why god why does this have to exist[/QUOTE]

It's not for people that are currently playing games...it's to get people that aren't playing games to play games. Motion Controls are the gateway drugs of gaming. Start 'em off with something easy to play and no learning curve.

[quote name='Kezmer']why god why does this have to exist[/QUOTE]

I have no fucking idea.

I'm 30 now and five years ago, I was convinced that I'd be buying and playing new videogames for the rest of my life. I'm now less convinced of that fact. Thankfully there are still hundreds if not thousands of old games that were designed with, you know, people that like videogames in mind for me to get through.

129157560493033650.gif

[quote name='guyver2077']virtual cats? i'M fuckING IN[/QUOTE]

Sold. Seriously, what was wrong with the Natal name, this is worse.

Kinect Launch Titles. Looks like Wii-2

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...aunch-lineup-reveals-imitation-not-innovation
As consumers' eyes and attention spans turn away from the Wii and towards Microsoft and Sony for the next generation of motion-controlled gaming, many expect Project Natal - we mean Kinect - to deliver a breath of innovation in a Wii-dominated arena. Unfortunately, the 5 games Microsoft revealed tonight leave us with a Wii-mote aftertaste.

1st, there's Kinectimals which lets you interact with, train and play with 20 different virtual cats, including a lion, cheetah and tiger. While not exactly resonating with a North American market, Sony's EyePet already exists, and is quite similar. We'll even give a nod to Ubisoft's Catz.
------------------
Speaking of Ubisoft: 2nd we have Dance Central, coded by Rock Band developer Harmonix. Certainly a studio delivering quality gaming, but Dance Central shares a lot of the same DNA with Ubisoft's Just Dance for the Wii.
-------------------
The 3rd game revealed for the Kinect launch, Joy Ride, actually scratched our racing itch when it was unveiled at last year's E3. It popped, had graphics that reminded us of Looney Toons, put your Avatar in the driver's seat, and best of all was going to be free! Don't hate the messenger, you knew this was coming: CVG reported that the banner of 'free' is almost certain to evaporate. Before you grab gasoline to fan the flames, we believe this is the most promising of the Kinect launch games, we're just not sure how it will feel to hold an invisible steering wheel.
---------------------
4th on the list is Kinect Adventures. From USA Today: "...includes a river-raft time trial and obstacle course, playable by up to four players. On the raft, playing as a duo, you and a partner must lean one way or another to steer. Jumping helps the raft reach special areas for extra points." Now we're getting warmer, albeit in a very casual, mass-market-appeal kind of way. Co-op river rafting with some interesting steering mechanics sounds promising. And we'd be fairly excited about it if it weren't for...
--------------------
Kinect Sports, the 5th on the list, and worst offender of imitation by far. "...has six activities including boxing, bowling, beach volleyball, track and field, soccer and table tennis. To serve a volleyball, you mimic the real motion; in soccer, you can kick the ball or do a header." Track and Field was insane enough on the NES, now they want us to use our actual legs? This is a heart attack disaster waiting to happen! Seriously though, it just feels like the river rafting of Kinect Adventures should have been included here.
Regardless of our opinion, Kinect Sports undeniably borrows more than a little from Wii Sports.

Certainly Xbox 360 fans and early supporters of Project Natal were holding out hope for Microsoft to reveal something tonight that catered to a more hardcore gaming audience. With tonight's showing however, it's becoming clear that Microsoft is indeed aiming to attract a casual demographic. Make no mistake, we're ok with their intent because we're confident Microsoft will continue to please the hardcore gamers, and we acknowledge the software will improve. We just wish a killer app had emerged that made us drop our jaws, rather than allowing us to easily draw parallels to existing Nintendo Wii games.
What's your take? Sound off in the comments section.
[/COLOR]

There's also a Star Wars game
Star Wars characters and iconic Disney favorites will be featured in separate new games being developed at Microsoft in conjunction with LucasArts and Disney.

Rumor is that voice recognition and prop scanning were dropping. Voice recognition is a complete loss for them. Prop scanning drop is probably a smart idea. "Kinect, please scan this AK-47."

The name looked like kinetic when I first saw it. I will probably remember it incorrectly for a long time. I actually think kinetic would be a better name than kinect. Also reminds me of K'nex.

All in all, Natal was a better name in general and had some name recognition already going for it. Way to blow it Microsoft.

Yeah MS should know, people are not that smart to put two and two together, either that, or they do not keep up with the gaming community. If the wii were to come out with a new system, and named it FunSystem instead of Wii2, most people would be clueless. Natal is a way better name than kinect, but I liked when it was "Wave" better.

At least it's better than "Natal" (which made me think of that other "natal", as in, "prenatal"), but like I said in the GGT, it's the most Microsoft name since "Zune".

That said, it's inoffensive. I have no strong opinions about it one way or the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='glemtvapen']K'nex![/QUOTE]
^^ This

[quote name='guyver2077']virtual cats? i'M fuckING IN[/QUOTE]
^^ and this

I can only hope they release the Kinect API to the Indie game developers...

I have yet to see one person really excited about this product. Even worse, MS is hoping their new toy will extend the life of the 360 for many more years. Just give us hulu.com and more great games, and we'll all be happy!

I think the name is fine and "Natal", while perhaps cool sounding, was completely meaningless. Kinect kind of makes sense. You connect with the games. They can't make it "Connect" because then no one finds it when thet search on Google. Search for "Kinect" and you'll find it. Plus they can't trademark "Connect", I doubt. So "Kinect". I'm fine with it. I just hope the thing works 1000x better then Eye Toy, which didn't work at all for me in my living room. Then again, 1000 times 0 is 0, so I don't know....

Kinect, connect with your kin, playing these fine Wii games all over again only at a higher price. What're ya Buyin'? Ah... I'll buy that at a high price."
residentevil4_conceptart_wvepg.jpg

resident-evil-4.220515.jpg

bread's done
Back