Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind [Blu-ray] - $18.99 at Amazon

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I've been waiting forever for this to drop back in price (missed it when it went on sale last year) but it hasn't been moving at all, but finally Amazon has dropped it down to $18.99. This is a really great film made by Miyazaki. It comes with a Blu-ray and a DVD

LINK

Might as well ask here, any word on whether other Miyazaki films will be released on Blu? Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro need some HD love over here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this movie rarely goes down in price, if at all.

Anyway, I haven't bought it yet for reasons I don't understand, so now that it's a bit cheaper, I might as well buy it now! This movie is amazing.

And that reminds me; I need to finish reading the manga.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Might as well ask here, any word on whether other Miyazaki films will be released on Blu? Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro need some HD love over here.[/QUOTE]

Well, in Japan, the Ghibli movies that have been released on Blu-ray are Nausicaa, Whisper of the Heart, Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbors the Yamadas, and Tales of Earthsea. I'm not sure what movie(s) are gonna get the Blu-ray treatment next.

As for here in the US, who knows if Disney is gonna release anything other than Nausicaa and Ponyo on Blu-ray.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Might as well ask here, any word on whether other Miyazaki films will be released on Blu? Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro need some HD love over here.[/QUOTE]

I was kind of hoping that the impending US theatrical release of The Secret World of Arrietty (which Miyazaki did not direct, but he did co-write the screenplay) would get us a couple more Studio Ghibli blu-ray releases as tie-ins. But, it comes out in less than two weeks and there's been no word on anything, so... I don't know what it will take at this point. :cry:

Thanks for the link op
21.gif

For anyone who orders this, can you please post if it comes w/ a slipcover? I already own this myself but thinking of getting this for a friend who is pretty particular about slipless blu-rays.

I didn't buy it from Amazon, but my copy of Nausicaa is indeed a slipcover.

As for Razzuel's question, I'd assume once Arietty hits DVD/Blu-Ray (I'm guessing it WILL come out on Blu-Ray because Ponyo did as it was the last theatrical release), then they'll bring other films the Blu-Ray treatment... or at least re-release them.

The following have been re-released already.
- Kiki's Delivery Service
- My Neighbor Totoro
- Castle in the Sky
- Nausicaa

Tales From Earthsea wasn't a re-release, but it went to the special edition bluebox DVD.

I'd expect Spirited Away to be next to get blu treatment.

[quote name='DRV']As for Razzuel's question, I'd assume once Arietty hits DVD/Blu-Ray (I'm guessing it WILL come out on Blu-Ray because Ponyo did as it was the last theatrical release), then they'll bring other films the Blu-Ray treatment... or at least re-release them.[/QUOTE]

The Nausicaä blu-ray didn't come out until a year after the Ponyo blu-ray, so I'm skeptical that the Arrietty blu-ray will make any difference at all in the release of the other titles. Like I said, I was hoping for more of a theatrical tie-in with it. Though yeah, I would assume that anything getting a theatrical release now will come out on blu-ray, so we should see Arrietty at least.

I have Nausicaa but got it as a gift and there's a slipcover. Pretty sweet movie. The extras are more like advertisements for his other movies but it's interactive so it's kinda neat.

It's too bad that Disney is so slow at releasing Ghibli films on Blu-ray. I just watched a Japanese-language 35mm print of Princess Mononoke on Friday, and it had me chomping at the bit for a high-def home release.

Thanks for posting this. I haven't been visiting this board regularly since it's sort of a cinematic dry spell for me.

The price was $38.99 this morning - but when I got home from work I decided to check again and snagged it for $18.49.

bread's done
Back