NBA 2K10 Anniversary Edition featuring Kobe Bryant (Xbox 360, PS3) - $10 off coupon

RoundeRx54

CAGiversary!
Got this from SD but thought I'd post it here too.

NBA 2K10 Anniversary Edition featuring Kobe Bryant

I got this coupon in my mailbox and the email says NBA Live, etc but it works with the limited edition NBA 2K10.

Individually numbered and includes the following:
  • NBA 2K10 video game
  • Numbered NBA 2K10 game locker with combonation lock
  • Exclusive figurine of Kobe Bryant by McFarlane Toys
  • 16" x 36" Kobe Bryant poster designed by Shephard Fairey's Studio No. 1
  • Commemorative NBA 2K 10th anniversary DVD
  • Access to the Gold Room - the NBA 2K10 VIP online lobby.
nba2k10.jpg

1. Add one of these to your cart:

Xbox 360 Version
http://www.buy.com/prod/nba-2k10-anniversary-edition-featuring-kobe-bryant/q/loc/108/212204553.html

PlayStation 3 Version
http://www.buy.com/prod/nba-2k10-anniversary-edition-featuring-kobe-bryant/q/loc/108/212204552.html

2. Add this coupon to your cart:

http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=86498564

I'm a sucker for collector editions, this thing looks great. Its too bad they went with Kobe, because with him in it, its a definite pass for me. Kobe is a douche.

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']I'm a sucker for collector editions, this thing looks great. Its too bad they went with Kobe, because with him in it, its a definite pass for me. Kobe is a douche.[/QUOTE]
I'd just like to second this, if it were pretty much any other player I'd be in, but one thing no one will ever see on my wall is a Kobe poster.

Why is Kobe a douche? He's not like the typical "full of himself" athlete like Terrell Owens or Allen Iverson. The guy is the hardest working athlete in at least the NBA, maybe even all American sports. He took the high road during the Shaq feud (not saying anything and just playing ball), and he was acquitted of the sexual charges (which were mostly likely BS considering the mental issues of the supposed victim). The guy is one of the top 3 or 4 basketball players to ever play the game. I don't understand the hate for the guy. He's amazing.

On an actuall product related note, is Best Buy going to be carrying this? And will that locker hold Blu-Rays, not just DVDs?

:lol: @ the Kobe/Laker hate.

In for 1 just cuse its KOBE. :applause:. Too bad Amazon doesn't have a $10VG card for the Anniversary edition as well.

[quote name='ticalmc2k2']Why is Kobe a douche? He's not like the typical "full of himself" athlete like Terrell Owens or Allen Iverson. The guy is the hardest working athlete in at least the NBA, maybe even all American sports. He took the high road during the Shaq feud (not saying anything and just playing ball), and he was acquitted of the sexual charges (which were mostly likely BS considering the mental issues of the supposed victim). The guy is one of the top 3 or 4 basketball players to ever play the game. I don't understand the hate for the guy. He's amazing.

On an actuall product related note, is Best Buy going to be carrying this? And will that locker hold Blu-Rays, not just DVDs?[/QUOTE]

Right on, thanks for representing.

^^ no, a guy from LA with a Kobe Bryant picture as his avatar isn't biased at all....:lol:

(and no, I have no problems with Kobe whatsoever)

[quote name='Viol8tor']:lol: @ the Kobe/Laker hate.

In for 1 just cuse its KOBE. :applause:. Too bad Amazon doesn't have a $10VG card for the Anniversary edition as well.

Right on, thanks for representing.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Was going to buy the game anyway b/c i like the 2K series, but I'm getting this just for him. About damn time.

As a SIXERS fan, I don't like Kobe but I can respect his desire, his skills and his will to succeed. He's the best player in the NBA and he willed himself there.

If you want to name a bunch of douches in the NBA, you can start with:

Shaq
Paul Pierce
Carlos Boozer (who ripped off a blind man)
the Knicks
all the fat slobs stealing paychecks

that being said, it's a no go for me. Maybe if it was Dwight Howard. Sadly, everyone on the Sixers sucks balls.

[quote name='confoosious']As a SIXERS fan, I don't like Kobe but I can respect his desire, his skills and his will to succeed. He's the best player in the NBA and he willed himself there.

Shaq
Paul Pierce
the Knicks

that being said, it's a no go for me. Maybe if it was Dwight Howard. Sadly, everyone on the Sixers sucks balls.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't heard that story about Boozer. He always seemed like a decent guy.

You can always pick up NBA Live 10 since Dwight's on there. :)

[quote name='Viol8tor']:lol: @ the Kobe/Laker hate.

Right on, thanks for representing.[/QUOTE]

:D

He's the most polarizing player in basketball, perhaps in all of sports. It's pretty simple because either you love him or you hate him.

On topic: this isn't much of a deal if buy.com charges taxes in your state. :bomb: Amazon is technically $10 off if you've got ECA though. ;)

[quote name='major morgan']:D

He's the most polarizing player in basketball, perhaps in all of sports. It's pretty simple because either you love him or you hate him.

On topic: this isn't much of a deal if buy.com charges taxes in your state. :bomb: Amazon is technically $10 off if you've got ECA though. ;)[/QUOTE]

eca hasn't worked on 360 version since around July

[quote name='ticalmc2k2']I hadn't heard that story about Boozer. He always seemed like a decent guy.[/QUOTE]

How could anybody think he's a decent guy after he lied to the Cavs so they'd let him out of his contract based on their goodwill and his word to re-sign, and then bolted for Utah? No integrity whatsoever.

[quote name='rapsodist']How could anybody think he's a decent guy after he lied to the Cavs so they'd let him out of his contract based on their goodwill and his word to re-sign, and then bolted for Utah? No integrity whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

Agreed that Boozer is the biggest douche.

I have to admit, this thread was off to a shaky start, but the Lakers fans are representing in here. :applause:

Yeah I'm a huge Lakers fan but $90 is too much for me to drop on a game; even if it has some sweet bonuses. With any luck maybe it'll show up in one of those Best Buy collector's editions markdowns a few months down the road.

I'm not a Laker fan, but I respect the man's skill and drive. And I dig 2K Sports. I have no problem with who's on the cover. And this CE is just boss.

I should mention that I am a Kings fan who never got over the Kings/Lakers 2002 series. I realize we lost the series, but after the way they were affiliated, 27 free throw attempts in the fourth quarter alone for game six, and disgraced former NBA referee Donaghy, stating in court that the series was thrown, doesn't help me sleep at night.

But seriously. If another player, say LeBron, Howard, Duncan whoever, I buy. Kobe the Colorado back door bandit, no thanks.

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']eca hasn't worked on 360 version since around July[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Didn't know that. Then again, I pre-ordered the PS3 version before I signed up for ECA. I just emailed the CS and asked them to apply a code and voila! $90 tax free. :)

[quote name='ticalmc2k2']The guy is one of the top 3 or 4 basketball players to ever play the game. I don't understand the hate for the guy. He's amazing. [/QUOTE]

Great player and my dislike of him has lessened a bit over the years but to say he is a top 4 player of all-time is absurd. Maybe he has cracked the top 10 but top 5? No way, Kobe's never really even been unanimously thought to be the best player in his own era. I don't think I've ever seen a list which purports to any sort of objectivity rank him top 3-4 of all-time which would put him ahead of Jordan, Wilt, Kareem and Russell (along with Bird and Magic).

Although I don't hate him, I'd also never order a collector's edition where Kobe merchandise made up a part of it.

[quote name='Moravagine']Great player and my dislike of him has lessened a bit over the years but to say he is a top 4 player of all-time is absurd. Maybe he has cracked the top 10 but top 5? No way, Kobe's never really even been unanimously thought to be the best player in his own era. I don't think I've ever seen a list which purports to any sort of objectivity rank him top 3-4 of all-time which would put him ahead of Jordan, Wilt, Kareem and Russell (along with Bird and Magic).

Although I don't hate him, I'd also never order a collector's edition where Kobe merchandise made up a part of it.[/QUOTE]

On a basketball note I would disagree.Of the players you named only Jordan was probably thought of as unanimously the greatest of his gen. I agree with the debate with Kobe comes down to only 2 other players of his generation (Shaq,Duncan) as far as being not unanimous. Kobe does however have the greatest skill set outside of Michael ever seen in the game. Of course if Kobe wins 5, well the debate goes away and he will be the greatest of his generation and IMHO a top 5 player.

[quote name='confoosious']As a SIXERS fan, I don't like Kobe but I can respect his desire, his skills and his will to succeed. He's the best player in the NBA and he willed himself there.

Shaq
Paul Pierce
the Knicks

that being said, it's a no go for me. Maybe if it was Dwight Howard. Sadly, everyone on the Sixers sucks balls.[/QUOTE]

explain to me why paul pierce is on that list.

lol @ sixers fans mad cus your team is knicks caliber now.

Shaq
Paul Pierce
the Knicks

so you choose the guy who loves throwing elbows at people as someone who isnt a douce. I play ball everyday at the rec at school and probably the biggest douches there are the people who get way to into a pickup basketball game and the guy who throws elbows.

Back on topic, thanks OP. Not as into bball games as I once was even though I play everyday, i guess i never feel like playing a video game when I already do it all the time but I may have to pertake in this, i wish it would work on the none special edition though.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Of course if Kobe wins 5, well the debate goes away and he will be the greatest of his generation and IMHO a top 5 player.[/QUOTE]
This seems like a strange argument. Championships measure team greatness, not individual greatness. And by this argument does Shaq end this argument if he wins his 5th with Lebron and the Cavs? That doesn't make sense either. My opinion, Kobe is no Jordan, Wilt, Magic, or Russel. Those 4 were uniquely great players that brought alot on both ends of the floor. Kareem and Shaq also meet that definition so that makes them 5 and 6. I don't see Kobe topping those guys, they all dominate every game on both ends of the floor, where as Kobe mostly just scores alot of points. He may get him self in the discussion but right now he is probably somewhere around 10. Could be 8 could be 15, I don't know but there is no way he is better than those 6 guys.

Wow..hated I got to this discussion late! Huge Laker fan here but I also work in sports journalism for a living..if Kobe was on your team(for the haters) would you still dislike him? Also to the Sixers fan Kobe is from Philly..feel free to like your hometown guy! ;0) BTW I already preordered my copy(actually gonna use that locker too! lol

[quote name='ackbar7']This seems like a strange argument. Championships measure team greatness, not individual greatness. And by this argument does Shaq end this argument if he wins his 5th with Lebron and the Cavs? That doesn't make sense either. My opinion, Kobe is no Jordan, Wilt, Magic, or Russel. Those 4 were uniquely great players that brought alot on both ends of the floor. Kareem and Shaq also meet that definition so that makes them 5 and 6. I don't see Kobe topping those guys, they all dominate every game on both ends of the floor, where as Kobe mostly just scores alot of points. He may get him self in the discussion but right now he is probably somewhere around 10. Could be 8 could be 15, I don't know but there is no way he is better than those 6 guys.[/QUOTE]

You must not know much about basketball. Kobe has been 1st-Team All Defense 7 times, and on the 2nd-Team twice. Kobe's defensive ability is outstanding. He had to slack off defensively the last few years to carry the team offense, but his defense is still impeccable.

And to the person who said he isn't unanimously the best in his generation, are you kidding me? He definitely is, and the only real person you can consider now is Lebron, who may be one of the top 5 players ever. Why else does the media and fans always start the argument over who's better Kobe or Jordan? Because it is a legitimate argument to make. MJ may be better (at least statistically), but the argument can be made.

Kobe wasn't the man for those 3 championships, that was Shaq. Jordan wasn't second fiddle to ANYBODY, ever. Only reason Kobe won a ring last year was because the Lakers were practically given all-star PF Gasol for free and the Celtics didn't have Garnett or Powe for the playoffs. Kobe has been a selfish player, cry baby and a poor teammate over the course of most of his career. Great players elevate their teammates and Kobe has a bad track record in that department.

I put many players above Kobe when you factor in his overall impact on the game of basketball. Wilt, Russell, Baylor, Dr. J, Magic, Bird, Jordan, Shaq, Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Kareem.

That's some pretty nice swag - I wish/hope that Amazon brings back the fabled "50% off one game" trade deal because I'll be all over this.

That said, who do I call when I forget the combination to the lock?!? hahaha

[quote name='ackbar7']This seems like a strange argument. Championships measure team greatness, not individual greatness. And by this argument does Shaq end this argument if he wins his 5th with Lebron and the Cavs? That doesn't make sense either. My opinion, Kobe is no Jordan, Wilt, Magic, or Russel. Those 4 were uniquely great players that brought alot on both ends of the floor. Kareem and Shaq also meet that definition so that makes them 5 and 6. I don't see Kobe topping those guys, they all dominate every game on both ends of the floor, where as Kobe mostly just scores alot of points. He may get him self in the discussion but right now he is probably somewhere around 10. Could be 8 could be 15, I don't know but there is no way he is better than those 6 guys.[/QUOTE]

You must really not like Kobe personally because he does far more than score points. I'm not really trying to change your mind but a guy winning championships in his prime means something. None of those players you named would be in the discussion if not for the championships. It means alot. You must not watch alot of basketball because Kobe like Mike,Like Shaq in his prime, Like Bird can carry a team for a month during the season only on the strength of his play and playmaking. I mean Kobe is almost universially considered probably the greatest talent to play. And yes if Kobe wins a couple more (or even one) he will be considered to be better than at least 2 names on the list above.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Kobe wasn't the man for those 3 championships, that was Shaq. Jordan wasn't second fiddle to ANYBODY, ever. Only reason Kobe won a ring last year was because the Lakers were practically given all-star PF Gasol for free and the Celtics didn't have Garnett or Powe for the playoffs. Kobe has been a selfish player, cry baby and a poor teammate over the course of most of his career. Great players elevate their teammates and Kobe has a bad track record in that department.

I put many players above Kobe when you factor in his overall impact on the game of basketball. Wilt, Russell, Baylor, Dr. J, Magic, Bird, Jordan, Shaq, Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Kareem.[/QUOTE]

Second fiddle this kills me. Other players named played with hall of Fame players and everyone forgets. Your Celtics fielded a freakin all star team in the 80's and currently has three players that will probably end up in Springfield and people cry about Kobe playing with Shaq. Even Mike played with at the time with someone who was considered the second best player in the league!!! Like I said they don't like the guy personally or are Celtics fans. And yeah the Celtics won their ring with great scouting and developing young players. Please!!!!!! Danny Anige orchestrated a trade for Garnett and Allen and stacked the team and some young players worked out well (Rando), to add to your star (Pierce). Pot calling kettle black.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Kobe wasn't the man for those 3 championships, that was Shaq. Jordan wasn't second fiddle to ANYBODY, ever. Only reason Kobe won a ring last year was because the Lakers were practically given all-star PF Gasol for free and the Celtics didn't have Garnett or Powe for the playoffs. Kobe has been a selfish player, cry baby and a poor teammate over the course of most of his career. Great players elevate their teammates and Kobe has a bad track record in that department.

I put many players above Kobe when you factor in his overall impact on the game of basketball. Wilt, Russell, Baylor, Dr. J, Magic, Bird, Jordan, Shaq, Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Kareem.[/QUOTE]

I love basketball debate! Basketball season can't start soon enough!

I'm sorry, but I have to set you straight on this. Kobe and Shaq both had major roles in the 3-peat.

People who say that Kobe had nothing to do with the 3 rings with Shaq are kidding themselves. Shaq's impact is greatly over-exagerrated because of the dominance that was displayed in the Finals all those years. Each trip to the finals was a clear advantage for him because the East team had no chance of stopping him. Smits? Old ass Mutombo? McCullough? If you had watched the entire playoffs (particularly during the West), Kobe had just as much impact, if not more than Shaq. It wasn't until the finals that it became Shaq's show. Don't let your hate for the guy blind your judgement.

In '00-'01, the year the Lakers went 15-1 in the playoffs, Kobe was running the show up until the finals. Don't agree? Let's look at the 4 game sweep (DEMOLISHING!) of the Spurs that season as an example:

Kobe
PTS-RB-AST-ST-BLK
45-10-3-1-1
28-7-6-2-1
36-9-8-1-0
24-2-11-2-1
AVG: 33.25-7-7-1.5-0.75

Shaq
PTS-RB-AST-ST-BLK
28-11-2-2-2
19-14-4-0-1
35-17-3-0-0
26-10-1-1-2
AVG: 27-13-2.5-0.75-1.25

In this series, Kobe just so happened to lead the team in assists 3 of the 4 games. So he flat out dominated that series. Damn, Kobe sure had to "ride Shaq's coattail" to that championship.:roll:

And to prove that Kobe brought it throughout the playoffs and that I'm not cherrypicking stats from 1 series:

'00-'01 Playoff AVGS (16 games)
PTS-RB-AST-ST-BLK
Kobe: 29.4-7.25-6.1-1.56-0.75
Shaq: 30.4-15.4-3.2-0.44-2.38
Kobe's output then is what LeBron does today. When LeBron gets 30-7-7 everyone creams their pants, but when Kobe did it despite having Shaq cry for the ball, it's meaningless.

I'll also point to game 4 of the 2000 Finals against the Pacers. Kobe had just missed all of game 3 because of a sprained ankle. It wasn't even healed by the time game 4 came around. He almost single-handedly won them the game in overtime despite being gimpy on that ankle. Where was Shaq in all of this? On the bench, fouled out. Regardless, Shaq was hardly ever on the floor in the closing moments of a tight game because his FT shooting was too risky.

So please, stop with the blind hatred.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Second fiddle this kills me. Other players named played with hall of Fame players and everyone forgets. Your Celtics fielded a freakin all star team in the 80's and currently has three players that will probably end up in Springfield and people cry about Kobe playing with Shaq. Even Mike played with at the time with someone who was considered the second best player in the league!!! Like I said they don't like the guy personally or are Celtics fans. And yeah the Celtics won their ring with great scouting and developing young players. Please!!!!!! Danny Anige orchestrated a trade for Garnett and Allen and stacked the team and some young players worked out well (Rando), to add to your star (Pierce). Pot calling kettle black.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Seriously. The legend of Jordan grows by the day. I guess Jordan never played with guys like Pippen (who will be in the HOF!), Rodman, Horace Grant, Kukoc, Charles Oakley, etc. Pippen was only named one of the "50 Greatest" members of the NBA, but that means nothing! It should be noted that the Bulls lost in the Eastern Conference semifinals the season after Jordan retired (the first time) in 7 games. Jordan sure did play with some scrubs.:roll:

I seriously think the reason for all the Kobe hate is because of the similarities to Jordan and that he's a threat to Jordan's legacy. Many have come and gone with such Jordan comparisons like Harold Miner and Vince Carter, but Kobe has managed to keep himself in the discussion after 13 seasons. That must kill all the Jordan lovers. Everyone points to Jordans 6 rings and should Kobe manage to reach 6 (or more) championships, you can damn well bet haters will still find a way to hate on him.

The Lakers got a "steal" in the Gasol trade, but they did give up a few nice trade pieces: Marc Gasol, Crittenton and two first round picks. Marc had a damn nice rookie season (12-7-2) and he also costs a fraction of what Pau does.

I also can't believe a Celtics fan would even point to the Gasol trade. Talk about hypocrisy. One of their own HOF players who was "playing" GM practically traded his entire roster in two major trades over the course of a few seasons to the Celtics. The Celtics! "Hey Danny, this is Kevin, Kevin McHale. You remember me? We used to play together for the Celtics! I heard you're looking to build a championship team. How would you like Kevin Garnett? Just give me Al Jefferson and a bag of peanuts and we'll call it even. Deal?"

The only thing the wolves have to show for KG is Al Jefferson. McHale did such a wondeful job as GM that he is now unemployed. Good job Mr. Celtic! Anybody who truly thinks the Garnett trade was fair but the Gasol wasn't is pretty delusional, imo.

LOL at "if we had Garnett and Powe". How quickly the tides turn. I'll give you Garnett, but not Powe. Powe isn't a difference maker like Garnett is (unless he's drawing bullshit fouls in Game 2 of the NBA Finals). And wasn't it the Lakers who were without Bynum in 2008 and Celtic fans were cheering and saying "injuries are part of the game"? Well how soon things change when the shoe is on the other foot, eh? The Celtics would have been better with Garnett, but I still couldn't see them making it past Cleveland this past season. Orlando just happened to do it because they had the right pieces to exploit Cleveland.

Pre-season starts in a few more days and 2k10 out on Tuesday!:)

Yeah, because Kobe Bryant never was a douche. :roll:
It's not like he ever requested a trade to 'my' Chicago Bulls. :roll:
Or that he said the Lakers organization was a joke. :roll:
And the only reason 'he' rejected the trade was the Lakers wanted Luol Deng in the deal and he wanted to play with him.

That being said, he is the best player since Jordan, and the best in the league today.

Oh, and I actually kind of like Kobe and his passion. But everyone does douchey things.
That being said, he's the best player since Jordan. Jordan stats are better across the board. Jordan retired for two years in his prime. Jordan had a crappy team his first 6 seasons.
Kobe's absolutely great. But Jordan is just a step ahead of him in every facet, defense, rebounding, assists, points, steals, blocks, oh... and wins. Jordan could easily have 10 championships.

[quote name='rapsodist']How could anybody think he's a decent guy after he lied to the Cavs so they'd let him out of his contract based on their goodwill and his word to re-sign, and then bolted for Utah? No integrity whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

That just seems like a stupid move from the GM to let him out of his contract. 30M more I would be a douche too.

The Celtics traded off practically half their team to get Garnett, including all-star caliber Al Jefferson. Who did the Lakers trade to get Pau Gasol? Two stiffs in Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton & 2 draft picks. Trying to compare the Garnett trade to the Gasol trade is ridiculous. Everybody always talks about how the Lakers got Gasol for next to nothing.

The Celtics won the previous year playing great team defense. Say what you will, but Powe is the key big man coming off the bench for the Celtics. You lose your all-star big man and team leader in Garnett and your key big man off the bench (Powe) and it makes it almost impossible to compete. Allen is a great shooter, or at least he was, but he's way past his prime and is highly overpaid. Other than that you have a good young PG in Rondo and Pierce, who is also winding down in his career and not the player he was even the previous season. Still with all these guys getting long in the tooth, the Celtics will still win again this year if they stay healthy.

Kobe is a great player, but he lacks leadership qualities and is selfish. His first 3 titles he was a key player, but not the focal point. Everybody keyed on Shaq and tried to stop him, because he was the dominant force on the Lakers and in the league for that matter. If you want to talk about great players you can include Kobe in the discussion, but there are many players ahead of him, at least on my list. He's not even top 3 on my all-Lakers list. Magic, Shaq, Baylor.

[quote name='unclenebber']Yeah, because Kobe Bryant never was a douche. :roll:
It's not like he ever requested a trade to 'my' Chicago Bulls. :roll:
Or that he said the Lakers organization was a joke. :roll:
And the only reason 'he' rejected the trade was the Lakers wanted Luol Deng in the deal and he wanted to play with him.

That being said, he is the best player since Jordan, and the best in the league today.

Oh, and I actually kind of like Kobe and his passion. But everyone does douchey things.
That being said, he's the best player since Jordan. Jordan stats are better across the board. Jordan retired for two years in his prime. Jordan had a crappy team his first 6 seasons.
Kobe's absolutely great. But Jordan is just a step ahead of him in every facet, defense, rebounding, assists, points, steals, blocks, oh... and wins. Jordan could easily have 10 championships.[/QUOTE]

Nobody's perfect, especially professional athletes. He may be/have been a douche, but we all know pretty much all professional athletes are. That still doesn't mean he isn't still a damn good basketball player. Hating him as a person doesn't diminish his talent.

He didn't call the Lakers a "joke", just that the management was a "mess" but maybe I'm just splitting hairs. He did ask to be traded (to the Bulls), but so what? He wants to win. I don't blame him after all of that crap because after watching him grow since he was a teenager, he has ALWAYS wanted to win. That's why he played along with the whole "sidekick" thing with Shaq, so long as Shaq was committed to doing as best as he could. Once Shaq decided to be all childish and show up out-of-shape, Kobe couldn't handle his antics anymore.

I can respect and admire someone who values winning rather than looking for his next pay day. Kobe just won a championship and he goes and works out with Hakeem Olajuwon to develop his game more. The dude just turned 31 and he's still trying to make himself better! What's Shaq doing? Whoring himself to ABC with Steve Nash's idea for "Shaq vs."

At least you're not blind like many haters are. He may not be at Jordan's level yet but he's damn close to it.

For the record, Jordan's couldn't have won in 94 and 95 because he was suspended, not "retired" ;) LINK

[quote name='ticalmc2k2']And to the person who said he isn't unanimously the best in his generation, are you kidding me? He definitely is, and the only real person you can consider now is Lebron, who may be one of the top 5 players ever. Why else does the media and fans always start the argument over who's better Kobe or Jordan? Because it is a legitimate argument to make. MJ may be better (at least statistically), but the argument can be made.[/QUOTE]

First of all, no one but Kobe/Lakers fans would ever even take a Jordan vs Kobe discussion seriously. Kobe's playoff legacy (two horrible finals performances versus Detroit and Boston) isn't on the same planet as Jordan's. In terms of the best regular seasons statistically, Jordan blows Kobe away in any of the advanced metrics (winshares, PER etc).

Secondly, you said the only player NOW considered better by some is Lebron. But the point was about the entirety of Kobe's career. In his prime, Shaq was considered a better play than Kobe. In his prime, Duncan was considered a better player than Kobe. I doubt there is a single GM in the NBA who would take Kobe over a prime Duncan/Shaq when building a team.

And now Lebron is top 5 too? Or by "may be" do you mean may end up being? Because although he will likely end there , at this point in his career, his achievements don't touch those of guys like Bird and Magic.

IMO Kobe has cracked the top 10 by winning this years Finals but is still a long way from top 5. Like I said, I don't see anyone other than Lakers fans putting him top 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']The Celtics traded off practically half their team to get Garnett, including all-star caliber Al Jefferson. Who did the Lakers trade to get Pau Gasol? Two stiffs in Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton & 2 draft picks. Trying to compare the Garnett trade to the Gasol trade is ridiculous. Everybody always talks about how the Lakers got Gasol for next to nothing.

The Celtics won the previous year playing great team defense. Say what you will, but Powe is the key big man coming off the bench for the Celtics. You lose your all-star big man and team leader in Garnett and your key big man off the bench (Powe) and it makes it almost impossible to compete. Allen is a great shooter, or at least he was, but he's way past his prime and is highly overpaid. Other than that you have a good young PG in Rondo and Pierce, who is also winding down in his career and not the player he was even the previous season. Still with all these guys getting long in the tooth, the Celtics will still win again this year if they stay healthy.

Kobe is a great player, but he lacks leadership qualities and is selfish. His first 3 titles he was a key player, but not the focal point. Everybody keyed on Shaq and tried to stop him, because he was the dominant force on the Lakers and in the league for that matter. If you want to talk about great players you can include Kobe in the discussion, but there are many players ahead of him, at least on my list. He's not even top 3 on my all-Lakers list. Magic, Shaq, Baylor.[/QUOTE]

Trading half the team means nothing if it's mostly crap. Jefferson was the centerpiece and anyone claiming the wolves "wanted" anything else is lying. The Garnett trade, like the Gasol trade required a "salary dump" to make the contracts match.

Jefferson > Gasol, but Gasol still has lots of time to grow. Jefferson took a few years himself to reach this level.
Ratliff = Brown, were just there to match salary and "dump"
Gomes - decent player, but nothing special
Telfair - never really fit in with Portland or Boston, did okay for the Wolves
Green - competed in the dunk contest, never heard from again
2 draft picks = 2 draft picks

Crittenton is an unkown. He's stuck around the NBA, but since he hasn't gotten much of a chance it's hard to say if he'll be any good in a few years.

The Lakers got a better deal than the Celtics, but c'mon can you honestly say you guys didn't get a steal on that trade too? McHale did you guys a huge favor. Supposedly he was asking the Lakers for Bynum and Odom, but he takes only Jefferson from the Celtics? He sure gave them a hometown discount there.

Powe was the best bench player? From what I saw, it was always Davis. Losing KG and Powe did hurt, but I still don't believe both of them healthy would have gotten past Cleveland.

Naming top 3 Lakers would be like naming top 3 Celtics. It's purely subjective and very difficult to do. Which is in your top 3 Celtics among Russell, Bird, McHale, Cousy, Havliceck, Pierce, KG? There's a lot of great players because the Celtics had a lot of success. Same goes for the Lakers. Wilt, Kareem, West, Magic, Baylor, Worthy, Shaq, Kobe. Tons of great players to choose from and not many teams can claim to have so many great players, ever.

I disagree with Shaq being a top 3 Laker. I'd easily put Kareem, West, and Wilt ahead of Shaq. Shaq was great for us, but his few dominating seasons doesn't cancel out the years he refused to take basketball seriously.

[quote name='Moravagine']First of all, no one but Kobe/Lakers fans would ever even take a Jordan vs Kobe discussion seriously. Kobe's playoff legacy (two horrible finals performances versus Detroit and Boston) isn't on the same planet as Jordan's. In terms of the best regular seasons statistically, Jordan blows Kobe away in any of the advanced metrics (winshares, PER etc).

Secondly, you said the only player NOW considered better by some is Lebron. But the point was about the entirety of Kobe's career. In his prime, Shaq was considered a better play than Kobe. In his prime, Duncan was considered a better player than Kobe. I doubt there is a single GM in the NBA who would take Kobe over a prime Duncan/Shaq when building a team.

And now Lebron is top 5 too? Or by "may be" do you mean may end up being? Because although he will likely end there , at this point in his career, his achievements don't touch those of guys like Bird and Magic.

IMO Kobe has cracked the top 10 by winning this years Finals but is still a long way from top 5. Like I said, I don't see anyone other than Lakers fans putting him top 5.[/QUOTE]

LeBron has done nothing but fill a boxscore. This is what makes me dislike the guy and it's not even his fault. It's the fans and media touting him as "greatest ever", "chosen one", "better than MJ" that cause it. The dude is talented, we all get that; but he hasn't done jack shit to deserve such praise. What's he won? An MVP, a bronze and gold medal? They mean nothing when talking about G.O.A.T. All the greats have those accomplishments. I don't hear Malone or Barkley being mentioned in the same breath as Jordan, why should LeBron? Let LeBron win a few rings before his name can be thrown in the discussion.

The problem I see with the hypothetical "If you were to build a team with a player in his prime" is that the NBA is and probably always be very biased to the big man. Finding a talented and dominating big man is far more difficult than a wing player. All things being equal, if people had a choice of a healthy Duncan, Shaq or Kobe for a guaranteed 10 years, it's pretty likely Kobe would be the last taken. But since injuries are a major variable, a player who takes good care of himself like Kobe should prevail in the long run over someone like Shaq.

I agree throwing Kobe as a top 5 all-time right now would be totally homeristic, but it's not out of the question that he could get there when all is said and done, he will need a few more rings though.

[quote name='ackbar7']I'm a Blazers fan. I never forgave a certain game 7 collapse to the Lakers. It makes it easy to dislike the man[/QUOTE]

I feel you. Kings fan here. Not necessarily a specific hate for Kobe, but just the Lakers in general.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']explain to me why paul pierce is on that list.

lol @ sixers fans mad cus your team is knicks caliber now.[/QUOTE]

Ok Celtics fan, let me tell you why Paul Pierce is on that list.

Paul Pierce was trying his hardest to get out of Boston. Wanted no part of being on the Celts. Was this close to publicly demanding a trade.

Now he bleeds green for life and always has? Acts like he's Mr Celtic. Paul Pierce didn't know shit about the Celtics. At least I can respect KG for his knowledge of the history of the game. Pierce is a phony.

He's also a bitch. He barely twisted his knee in that playoff game and went down like Lee Harvey Oswald shot him. Had to be carried off the court. Then all of the sudden, he's trying to pull a Willis Reed. Please.

Yeah, the Sixers suck. I already know this. We can't all get help from inept former teammate GMs on other teams.

[quote name='shuhbonkboo']I feel you. Kings fan here. Not necessarily a specific hate for Kobe, but just the Lakers in general.[/QUOTE]

You guys were absolutely robbed by the refs. Worst jobbing in NBA reffing history.

[quote name='Denbo32']That just seems like a stupid move from the GM to let him out of his contract. 30M more I would be a douche too.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me? When you give your word as a man, you should keep it. Nice to know where you stand on that though.

[quote name='Shadow780']I thought this is the VG DEALS section....[/QUOTE]

Sorry we actually have other interests besides video games. What else is there to talk about on this deal. It's $10 off.

[quote name='shuhbonkboo']I feel you. Kings fan here. Not necessarily a specific hate for Kobe, but just the Lakers in general.[/QUOTE]

You guys were absolutely robbed by the refs. Worst jobbing in NBA reffing history.

[quote name='Denbo32']That just seems like a stupid move from the GM to let him out of his contract. 30M more I would be a douche too.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me? When you give your word as a man, you should keep it. Nice to know where you stand on that though.

[quote name='Shadow780']I thought this is the VG DEALS section....[/QUOTE]

Sorry we actually have other interests besides video games. What else is there to talk about on this deal. It's $10 off.

I'm not a Kobe hater at all. He's a winner. Just like Ben Roethlisberger.

On topic, any reviews of this game yet?

Let's not forget that Boozer had given his word to the Cavs. People who insist that the GM made a stupid move represent the total regression of character in our society. Thomas Jefferson once wrote about the future of his nation: "They will forget themselves, but in the sole faculty of making money." Take that as you will.

[quote name='ticalmc2k2']Why is Kobe a douche? He's not like the typical "full of himself" athlete like Terrell Owens or Allen Iverson. The guy is the hardest working athlete in at least the NBA, maybe even all American sports. He took the high road during the Shaq feud (not saying anything and just playing ball), and he was acquitted of the sexual charges (which were mostly likely BS considering the mental issues of the supposed victim). The guy is one of the top 3 or 4 basketball players to ever play the game. I don't understand the hate for the guy. He's amazing.

On an actuall product related note, is Best Buy going to be carrying this? And will that locker hold Blu-Rays, not just DVDs?[/QUOTE]

Actually, he is a douche.

He committed adultery against his wife.

He absolutely is full of himself, when Shaq left he felt like he had to take 30 shots a game. They missed the playoffs that year and got back when he started becoming a team player.

High road on Shaq during the feud? Sure, but he also said Shaq paid off women that threatened to take him to court and Kobe said that is what he should have done.

I don't doubt he is a hard worker or one of the top players in the game though. Like him or not, that is accurate.

That being said, I am getting the Limited Edition regardless of who is on the cover.

[quote name='rapsodist']Let's not forget that Boozer had given his word to the Cavs. People who insist that the GM made a stupid move represent the total regression of character in our society. Thomas Jefferson once wrote about the future of his nation: "They will forget themselves, but in the sole faculty of making money." Take that as you will.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Cavs shouldn't be to blame, other than that they were too trusting and too considerate of Boozer.

Because he was a second round pick, Boozer wasn't going to get the money he "deserved". The Cavs felt bad and when time came for an extension, they decided to give him a handshake agreement to let him out of his current contract so he could sign a more lucrative one with THEM. The Cavs would not have released him from his contract otherwise.

That was a totally douchey thing to do. If Boozer did that to the Lakers, I'd hate his guts too. He's the all-star version of Zach Randolph; gets you ~20 and 10, but doesn't really have much impact on your team winning.

bread's done
Back