NBA JAM: On Fire Edition.

Anyone having any problems with the game? Thank God I am not having any problems but a good friend of mine is having a very WEIRD problem. He has had the game since launch and its worked fine, but starting tonight of all things he is getting a DISC ERROR. The game acts very jittery and It will kick him out of any online or offline game just a minute or so after he starts it, and the error message tells him that there is a disc error and it might have to be cleaned :)

Disc error? On an XBLA game?

Anyone else having any issue simular to this?

[quote name='mrmagoo1974']Anyone having any problems with the game? Thank God I am not having any problems but a good friend of mine is having a very WEIRD problem. He has had the game since launch and its worked fine, but starting tonight of all things he is getting a DISC ERROR. The game acts very jittery and It will kick him out of any online or offline game just a minute or so after he starts it, and the error message tells him that there is a disc error and it might have to be cleaned :)

Disc error? On an XBLA game?

Anyone else having any issue simular to this?[/QUOTE]

I had the Disc error for WRC2010 Game on Demand version. I completed the game leaving out a level I needed to complete for the 100G. But when I tried to load up my save, it gives me the Error every time and boots me back to the Dashboard. The only way to fix this problem, is to delete everying saves/clear cache and start playing again.

Stupid goddamn bugs.

Loving OFE, really bringing back heavy nostalgia.

can someone confirm this for me? I asked this question in the deals thread and a guy nicely told me that there aren't injuries/wearing down opponents in NBA Jam On Fire.

way back in the day with NBA Jam: TE, I would beat up the other team so that in the second half, they'd be slow and I'd dominate. Do they still have wear injury on the players? From the demo, there's no injury stat or meter and the players still seemed to run full speed no matter how much you beat them up.

Also, I used to goaltend a lot so that I could get the he's on fire and then rain 3's on them while blocking all shots (that aren't called goaltends when you're on fire). Is that still in the game either?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dirtyvu']can someone confirm this for me? I asked this question in the deals thread and a guy nicely told me that there are injuries/wearing down opponents in NBA Jam On Fire.

way back in the day with NBA Jam: TE, I would beat up the other team so that in the second half, they'd be slow and I'd dominate. Do they still have wear injury on the players? From the demo, there's no injury stat or meter and the players still seemed to run full speed no matter how much you beat them up.

Also, I used to goaltend a lot so that I could get the he's on fire and then rain 3's on them while blocking all shots (that aren't called goaltends when you're on fire). Is that still in the game either?[/QUOTE]

There is no tracking stat for injuries -- I don't know if they affect overall performance as the game goes on.

Being on FIRE is not close to invincible; usually the CPU scores on the next basket after you are on fire.

[quote name='dirtyvu']
Also, I used to goaltend a lot so that I could get the he's on fire and then rain 3's on them while blocking all shots (that aren't called goaltends when you're on fire). Is that still in the game either?[/QUOTE]

if you goaltend while your player is on fire you still keep the fire but the goaltending counts for points for the other team

thanks for the replies, guys! much appreciated. so I guess it's a new NBA Jam for a new generation! too bad about the inability to beat up people. time to develop new strategies! :D

[quote name='Ma12kez']Does anyone know if this game has roster updates that reflect the current NBA season? For instance, after the trade deadline, can EA update it through a patch? I've been meaning to pick this up; especially since it's on sale.

::edit::

I found that it does provide roster updates: http://www.nba-live.com/nba-jam-on-fire-edition-roster-update-video/[/QUOTE]

EA has only done 1 roster update, and that was only after media pressure from Kotaku and Pastapadre.com forced them to do it. They still haven't added in any rookies, so that leaves some teams like Indiana having only 2 players while other teams have up to 6 (Mavericks.)

[quote name='MSUHitman']EA has only done 1 roster update, and that was only after media pressure from Kotaku and Pastapadre.com forced them to do it. They still haven't added in any rookies, so that leaves some teams like Indiana having only 2 players while other teams have up to 6 (Mavericks.)[/QUOTE]For real? Damn, I didn't know that. I just assumed everything was up to date after going through that link.

I know that you can play "Road Trip" locally with a buddy, but does anyone know if you can play it online with a buddy instead?

Yes you can play Road Trip with a buddy online no problem. You can also play 1 v 1 with a buddy no problem. We are currently having issues playing 2 v 1 or 2 v 2 w/friends currently.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yes you can play Road Trip with a buddy online no problem. You can also play 1 v 1 with a buddy no problem. We are currently having issues playing 2 v 1 or 2 v 2 w/friends currently.[/QUOTE]Cool, thanks for the quick response. I'll most likely pick it up then. A shame about not adding the rookies though.

Played 2 vs 2 roadtrip with a friend. Didn't care much for the netcode, seems like the timing is off with pretty much everything vs offline.

[quote name='dirtyvu']can someone confirm this for me? I asked this question in the deals thread and a guy nicely told me that there aren't injuries/wearing down opponents in NBA Jam On Fire.

No, the injury meter isn't there. But it wasn't there in the original (arcade) version of Jam either. They just added that in for the Tournament Edition.

But you can goaltend while you're on fire, and unlike the other poster said, if you're "goaltending" with the guy who's on fire, the points don't count. That's the same as it was in the original Jam.

The netcode in this game is much better than the one for last year's game, which was nearly unplayable. If you do online arena, usually things are fine, but the Jam Now (with friends) option is terrible. More than half the time, one player shows up on the wrong team and one player's not included when you're trying to do a 2v2. It's really annoying and EA really should have fixed it. Also, the leaderboards are majorly fucked up, and disconnects count as a loss regardless for your winning percentage (which is beyond dumb). If the online features were better, this game would be a 10/10 for me.

Really wish I hadn't bought last year's version now though.

With those bugs it almost sounds like I shouldn't fret too much about not pulling the trigger while this was on sale. I mostly play offline anyway. If you only (or primarily) play offline, is there any advantage to the On Fire edition over the disc release?

[quote name='crunchewy']With those bugs it almost sounds like I shouldn't fret too much about not pulling the trigger while this was on sale. I mostly play offline anyway. If you only (or primarily) play offline, is there any advantage to the On Fire edition over the disc release?[/QUOTE]

while playing solo you can switch between your two players in "on fire edtiion", where as the regular one your stuck as one player and the cpu as the other always. There is also the loss of those extra modes in "on fire ed" but there are extra characters. and some other game play tweeks too.

Honestly, I have never been very good at switching players in sports games (I always switch and end up running the wrong way since it was the right way with the other character, LOL), so not having that isn't a big deal to me. I think I'll just stick with the disc version.

bread's done
Back