NBA Street 3 for 8 bucks!!! +Broken PS2 question

MHRX

CAGiversary!
I went to a pawn shop yesterday to check out what they had for speakers for my truck. They didn't have anything, but I went to check out the videogame case, and there is a mint NBA Street 3 (PS2) marked at 9.99. I asked if they would take 8 (man am I cheap lol), and walked out the door with it for 8 bucks cash. I didn't even have a PS2, but I took it to gamestop with Brothers in Arms and NCAA Hoops 2K5 (both XBox) and with it I got 72.10 in store credit. Not a bad deal.

On a side note, they had a PS2 marked "as is" for 30 bucks (could probably get down to 15-20). It had not been opened up/modified as far as I could tell (the warranty sticker was still on it). the guy said it wouldn't read discs. Do you think this would be worth buying+cleaning? I'm tempted, but I don't want to get stuck with a busted PS2. Would this just need a lens cleaning? Or might there be something more serious wrong with it? Any help would be appreicated, thanks for listening!

[quote name='MHRX']
On a side note, they had a PS2 marked "as is" for 30 bucks (could probably get down to 15-20). It had not been opened up/modified as far as I could tell (the warranty sticker was still on it). the guy said it wouldn't read discs. Do you think this would be worth buying+cleaning? I'm tempted, but I don't want to get stuck with a busted PS2. Would this just need a lens cleaning? Or might there be something more serious wrong with it? Any help would be appreicated, thanks for listening![/QUOTE]

It might just have disc read errors, in which case Sony will repair/replace it for free.

EDIT: 500th post, didn't realize because new server!

Yeah, I would buy it for even the asking price of $30. Call up Sony and they'll take all the info and ship you a refurbished one after they receive the broken PS2.

great deal OP... damn.. heh I wish it was economically (i live an hour away from GS and EB so).. to trade my deals from Pawn Shops. great deal nonetheless.. 70 bucks credit.. awesome

Off topic question---Do all pawn shops let you haggle? Or are these only some? I got a few value pawns or whatever they are called around me.

Thanks for the replys, I didn't know sony fixed them for free.

And to the person who asked about pawn shops, it was my assumption that they all haggle...doesn't hurt to try :)

[quote name='WolfPac_Ite']Off topic question---Do all pawn shops let you haggle? Or are these only some? I got a few value pawns or whatever they are called around me.[/QUOTE]

its a YMMV.. but pawn shops are in the business of selling the goods.. so if you make a resonable offer they will most likely take it (don't go in seeing games that are normally priced 15 bucks and then say you'll buy them for 5 or less.. ) and i suggest you buy a few things at "their" prices before you start naming your own price ... they want to make money too you know

ROb

[quote name='Santorum X']Yeah, I would buy it for even the asking price of $30. Call up Sony and they'll take all the info and ship you a refurbished one after they receive the broken PS2.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty close to what EB gives in trade-in credit for a broken PS2 anyway, isn't it?

I say, go back for the $30 broken PS2 and ask if you can give it a test run to see just what's wrong with it. If it really is disc errors, it's probably worth grabbing and sending to Sony for the repair. If not, just leave it- my understanding is if it's not DREs you don't get a free fix.

bread's done
Back