NBC's New Show... THE BABY BORROWERS!? Its not TV, Its Birth Control!

Ice2Dragon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
http://www.nbc.com/The_Baby_Borrowers/

NBC's upcoming reality series "The Baby Borrowers," premiering on Monday 18 (8 p.m. ET), is an intriguing new social experiment based on the hit British program that asks five diverse teenage couples -- ages 18-20 -- to fast-track to adulthood by setting up a home, getting a job and becoming caring parents first to babies, toddlers, pre-teens and their pets, teenagers and senior citizens -- all over the course of three weeks.

Basically, some parents give their young kids to teens who want kids (God knows why), to test the waters.

Heres my opinion : As a parent, why the hell would you ever lend your kid to two teenagers with no knowledge of babies? Just for money? Just for a tv show?

Mark my words, this show will not last long.. either public outcry.. or horrible ratings.

http://www.nbc.com/The_Baby_Borrowers/video/index.shtml#cat=new Link to the video for the show.. for a "preview"

That show with the kids living by themselves didn't get pulled (i think). This should get plled, but knowing society it will probably be a hit.

[quote name='JolietJake']That show with the kids living by themselves didn't get pulled (i think). This should get plled, but knowing society it will probably be a hit.[/quote]

It didnt get pulled, but it did horrible in the ratings, I think they wrapped that show up really quickly.

We don't need another Jerry Springer clone. Unless of course the show is only the following:

15-18 Year Old Girl: "I wanna have a baby!"
(Anyone slaps girl until she grows a brain).

15-18 Year Old Girl: "I have realized the folly and stupidity of the idea to even THINK I can properly raise and care for a child when I have yet to do so for myself outside of my parent's assistance".

~HotShotX

In the commercials they've just been showing the girls in the teenage couples saying how they think they'll make great moms and all that bullshit. Then the guys just sitting there hoping he gets to fuck her.

The British version couldn't have gotten that bad of rating because it spawned more seasons and an American version of the show. I've seen the commercials for the American version and it looks extremely entertaining, I don't know how educational it'll be, but those teens are totally clueless for the most part.

All I know is that networks wonder why they aren't necessarily getting great ratings. Well, when your major lineup for the summer includes things like The Baby Borrowers and Greatest American Dog, what do you expect?

[quote name='JolietJake']That show with the kids living by themselves didn't get pulled (i think). This should get plled, but knowing society it will probably be a hit.[/quote]

Kid Nation didn't get pulled, and they were hardly "alone" considering there was always tons of production and camera crews holding them by the hand and leading them along the path TPTB wanted the show to go. Plus the host who was there all the time, too.

Frankly, it wouldn't be a bad idea for people wanting to have a child to sit in with a family dealing with a newborn.

If the people wanting a baby could handle a good case of colic or two or three antibiotic resistant ear infections for a month WITHOUT placing the child in a punting position or screaming for mercy or not walking out the door, they're ready for the first six months of a child.

Kids are fun, but a whole lot of work.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Frankly, it wouldn't be a bad idea for people wanting to have a child to sit in with a family dealing with a newborn.

If the people wanting a baby could handle a good case of colic or two or three antibiotic resistant ear infections for a month WITHOUT placing the child in a punting position or screaming for mercy or not walking out the door, they're ready for the first six months of a child.
[/QUOTE]

TRUTH.

Sounds fun but US ≠ UK... Further more as people pointed out there are reasons this show will blow just like every other "reality" show.

I still think they should just force people to watch Knocked up, but cut out everything the teens would WANT to see...

[quote name='VipFREAK']I still think they should just force people to watch Knocked up, but cut out everything the teens would WANT to see...[/QUOTE]

Katherine Heigl?

In the UK version, the parents were allowed to see their kids (and their caretakers) 24/7 through the monitors. The entire house was monitored out the wazoo, and the parents were like two houses away.

It was quite hilarious. The teen kids were "in love" and wanted a family, planned on getting married soon. By the end of three days with three kids, they just looked shell shocked. The guy was saying they'd wait a bit, the girl was saying she really needed to think about things. The guy was actually the far better parent in the one UK epi I saw.

From a perspective of getting teens NOT to rush ahead with starting families, it's great. I kind of did the same thing with my nieces and my kids, and they're thankful. NOW that my kids are 4 and 7, it might be amusing. Don't know that I'd be so gung ho to do it with a baby.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Kid Nation didn't get pulled, and they were hardly "alone" considering there was always tons of production and camera crews holding them by the hand and leading them along the path TPTB wanted the show to go. Plus the host who was there all the time, too.[/quote]

That was a great show. Although it wasn't really legit, like you said.

I'm 34 years old and I couldn't handle having a baby if it was born with a passport, a suit and a full time job.

I mean, look at how fucked up most of you guys are. Imagine having to raise people like you. You think your Dad pictured your collection of Lego figures and talking about video games? I think not. I'm like your Dad. If I had a kid and he came out like This Mango Knife. I'd kill him, move away and start over again. But for how long? How long could I do that for?

bread's done
Back