Need a cheap soundcard that works well

PuNK45S

CAGiversary!
It appears as though my onboard sound is starting to die (audio is only coming out of one side of speakers and headphones) and so I am looking for a new card.

I've never had a soundcard that wasn't onboard, so I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. I always figured creative was the way to go, but the reviews I've been reading have said otherwise.

I would like to keep this under $100 (but would like even more if it was under $50) but I also want one that's gonna work well and not break on me.

Any suggestions for specific cards or even what brands are best?

Well, most likely everyone will suggest you some cheap Creative soundcard, but they have been MAJOR DICKS about the support and the drivers so a lot of people started to boycott their products. you may want to read about it - just google "Daniel_K creative",

Personally I'd suggest Asus Xonar DS. It's really good card with price just under $50. You could even "upgrade" it if you want - by replacing its opamp - its not soldered, but placed in DIP socket, so you could easily exchabge it for something better, like OP2134 DIP or AD826ANZ, they're like $5-8.

Or go for Xonar D1\DX, slighlty more expensive (around $75-80) (they're the same , the only difference is pci/pci-e slot). It uses the same digital-to-analog converter as top tier Creative X-fi Elite Pro.

Also DS\DX\D1 can be installed in flex-ATX chasis.

bread's done
Back