Need a Digital SLR Camera with RAW format!

SankethY

CAG Veteran
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hi! I am going to school in the fall again, and this time I need to come packin a DSLR. I did some readings and people tended to say the Nikon D40 is an excellent, cheap choice, but I emailed my professor and she mentioned it did NOT have a RAW photo taking capability, which I am going to need.

Now she mentioned getting the Nikon D60, or the Olympus E420 for 100 less. What do you guys know about those cameras (which is more worth it, etc.) , and are there any other cameras that are better in that neighborhood?
Thanks a ton!

I was looking at the d40 as well and it definitely does have to ability to shoot in the RAW format or I would not even be considering it.

Damn near all DSLR's have RAW support, including the D40 (which specifically uses NEF, Nikon's own RAW format; any recent version of Photoshop can handle it).

Tell your professor she's a noob.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only difference between the main brands at this point is pretty minimal. Personally I went to a store and held each of them. The XTi fit my hands better, and I recommend choosing based on how you feel with each one. You will have more choices for lens purchases if you get a nikon or canon though, so keep that in mind before picking up an olympus or sony/minolta.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Damn near all DSLR's have RAW support, including the D40 (which specifically uses NEF, Nikon's own RAW format; any recent version of Photoshop can handle it).

Tell your professor she's a noob.[/quote]

this.

I have a D40 and I shoot RAW all the time.

Wow. I guess she just got owned. I will email her back with a link to a site that shows this, and see what she says! :D You guys pwn.

bread's done
Back