Need a great job on campus? Post your info on RepNation for free.

megabadd

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
(If this is in the wrong area, or not allowed, please delete)

I don't know if anyone has posted about RepNation here before, but it seems to be a good program. It's free, and sets you up for great jobs with companies like Dell, Microsoft and JetBlue. A friend got a job with Dell, and M$oft has emailed me about becoming a rep, so I don't think it's bogus.

There's also a referral and points based systems (based on doing surveys and trend reporting) that nets free gear.

If interested: www.repnation.com

Or if you'd like to sign up under my link: http://www.repnation.com/index.asp?user_id=11887

Looks interesting. I see that Dell gives you a notebook pc while you are their rep, so that's cool.

Anyway to see what companies work with my school? So I can narrow down the search?

Msoft just emailed me today, so I sent in my resume and I'll be doing a phone interview soon. They have descriptions for the jobs on the main page. They also list what schools they are working with under their description.

Np, I don't mind at all. Um, I've worked as a bio researcher, orphanage and hospital volunteer, online journalist, and as an AV tech/projectionist.

[quote name='megabadd']Msoft just emailed me today, so I sent in my resume and I'll be doing a phone interview soon. They have descriptions for the jobs on the main page. They also list what schools they are working with under their description.[/QUOTE]

But I see like 4 companies that list schools, none of which are my school. I was hoping you could select a school and then see what is available but that would be way too easy. I signed up but there is no way I'm going there every week to cycle through the jobs looking for my school to be added. Great if your school is listed with Dell or MS though since those seem the most interesting.

[quote name='menikmati']I thought this would involve a van and a video camera for an "audition."[/QUOTE]

that is the 2nd interview : )

[quote name='valor19']But I see like 4 companies that list schools, none of which are my school. I was hoping you could select a school and then see what is available but that would be way too easy. I signed up but there is no way I'm going there every week to cycle through the jobs looking for my school to be added. Great if your school is listed with Dell or MS though since those seem the most interesting.[/QUOTE]

The interesting thing is that MSoft found me for the position. I had signed up a while ago and forgot about it, but then I received an email today from someone representing the Microsoft rep team who saw my profile on the site. So... it may be worth it just to be up there.

Well, I have a phone interview with Microsoft at 12:20pm today, so I'll update you guys with info about the job and such.

Whoo! I got the job as the UVA rep!

Basically, they need 2 people for every campus, one to be a tech rep and one to be a marketing rep for Microsoft products. I got the marketing job where I have to get the word out on all of M$oft's new products and basically build a community here at campus. I get to create my own schedule, and I get paid $750 + $500 for materials a semester + "incentives" (which are generally ultra sweet free products).

They are flying me out to the Microsoft main office for training in mid-late August.

I'm really pumped. Any questions? =D.

[quote name='megabadd']Whoo! I got the job as the UVA rep!

Basically, they need 2 people for every campus, one to be a tech rep and one to be a marketing rep for Microsoft products. I got the marketing job where I have to get the word out on all of M$oft's new products and basically build a community here at campus. I get to create my own schedule, and I get paid $750 + $500 for materials a semester + "incentives" (which are generally ultra sweet free products).

They are flying me out to the Microsoft main office for training in mid-late August.

I'm really pumped. Any questions? =D.[/QUOTE]

That's awesome. I wanted to thank you for letting us know about this site.

I signed up, and I already had my phone interview for the same position you are getting but for my school, UCF in Orlando.

I felt the interview went fine, the woman told me they were halfway through the interview process with other candidates, and that I would know if I got the job this week.

I really hope I get it, they would fly me out at the same time for training.

I see you got the job quick. Did they tell you right after the interview? Was it emailed to you?

Signed up under your referral. Hopefully they don't have any FSU reps yet. I could always use some free money and/or stuff.

[quote name='dhs odium']That's awesome. I wanted to thank you for letting us know about this site.

I signed up, and I already had my phone interview for the same position you are getting but for my school, UCF in Orlando.

I felt the interview went fine, the woman told me they were halfway through the interview process with other candidates, and that I would know if I got the job this week.

I really hope I get it, they would fly me out at the same time for training.

I see you got the job quick. Did they tell you right after the interview? Was it emailed to you?[/quote]
No problem! Hopefully some CAGs can get some nice swag out of these jobs =D.

Did you get Kelly for your interview? My interview went really well (I kept saying 'community' because that is what I will strive to build for M$oft).

I got the job by the end of the interview. She said she had interviewed a couple people at my school, but that I seemed perfect. Truth be told, I've actually had years of PR experience for some gaming-journalism websites, so I know how to talk myself up as well as companies. Also, I had a pretty good PR plan setup in my mind before the interview, and all the questions just worked perfectly with what I was thinking.

Good luck on getting the job though, it sounds like it should be fun! Maybe if some CAGs get in, we can have a meet up of some sort at the training?

Also, did your interviewing happen to say what the 'incentives' were?

[quote name='gofishn']Signed up under your referral. Hopefully they don't have any FSU reps yet. I could always use some free money and/or stuff.[/quote]

Thanks! Good luck!

[quote name='megabadd']No problem! Hopefully some CAGs can get some nice swag out of these jobs =D.

Did you get Kelly for your interview? My interview went really well (I kept saying 'community' because that is what I will strive to build for M$oft).

I got the job by the end of the interview. She said she had interviewed a couple people at my school, but that I seemed perfect. Truth be told, I've actually had years of PR experience for some gaming-journalism websites, so I know how to talk myself up as well as companies. Also, I had a pretty good PR plan setup in my mind before the interview, and all the questions just worked perfectly with what I was thinking.

Good luck on getting the job though, it sounds like it should be fun! Maybe if some CAGs get in, we can have a meet up of some sort at the training?

Also, did your interviewing happen to say what the 'incentives' were?[/QUOTE]

I had Stephanie for my interview. She was with the Mr. Youth program, not anyone from Microsoft, so she couldn't answer a few of the questions I had. I don't recall hearing about any incentives other than the pay, $500 budget, and trip for training, which I wouldnt call incentives.

I felt the interview went well enough, but I have a real lack of experience in PR, so I don't know what my chances are. She said they were half way through the interview with everyone, so i can't help but think someone else is more qualified than I am. I did have a plan in my mind before the interview, and there were no hang ups and I gave my ideas and she agreed with them.

I hope I find out this week, whether I got it or not. The suspense is killing me.

Yeah, my interviewer was from Mr. Youth as well, so I had to keep myself from yelling: "Do I get a TV, 360 and an Origami?!?"

Good luck guys!

I've got an interview with Mr. Youth sometime in the next few days. I have no PR experience either so I'm probably screwed.

[quote name='gofishn']I've got an interview with Mr. Youth sometime in the next few days. I have no PR experience either so I'm probably screwed.[/quote]
Eh, just talk yourself up. If you can sell yourself effectively, you can sell their stuff =D

Also, some tips. Walk around, smile, and use hand gestures during the phone interview. While it may sound silly, assertiveness and mood travel much better over the phone if you act it out fully.

Site is up now.

For personal info, I put everything up about myself except for my home and school address. For my resume, I put my Interests, Honors, Skills, Past Work Experience and Objective. Do not make your resume longer than 2 pages (absolute no-no).

[quote name='Sylent Khaos']Is University of Michigan listed on any of the companies? Cause if it is, I will apply.[/quote]

Microsoft and Neutrogena are looking for UofM peeps.

As for what exactly it is I will be doing, I'm not 100% sure as of yet. Training is the 11th-12th of August, so I'll let you know then.

[quote name='Silencer']Can you check any positions for Boston University.[/quote]

I took a quick look and MSoft, Neutro and JetBlue are hiring at Boston U.

I'll resurrect this thread a bit.

They said they had another candidate for the Microsoft position at UCF, and that he/she was chosen for the job, and not me.

Well, I forget about this whole thing, then this morning I get a call. Apparently either another spot opened up, or the other person could take the job for whatever reason. So I'm hired.

I guess I'll be at the training thing on the weekend of the 12th.

[quote name='dhs odium']I'll resurrect this thread a bit.

They said they had another candidate for the Microsoft position at UCF, and that he/she was chosen for the job, and not me.

Well, I forget about this whole thing, then this morning I get a call. Apparently either another spot opened up, or the other person could take the job for whatever reason. So I'm hired.

I guess I'll be at the training thing on the weekend of the 12th.[/quote]

Nice dhs! Are you talking with Tracy at Volt now?

I guess I'll see you in Seattle next weekend? I'll have my DS, PSP, and a Nintendo bag, so I should be pretty noticeable. I'll probably post what I plan to be wearing that day, so we should say 'hey'.

[quote name='Riyonuk']I still dont understand this, am I going to be working at school, what exactly am I doing?[/quote]

Basically, it's a form of targeted marketing, where companies pay kids to talk about their wares on campus. You get a salary, marketing tools, marketing monies, and you can basically do anything to build product awareness on campus. After doing some research, I hear its a pretty chill job, companies tend to give pretty nice incentives (Msoft gave out pocket pcs one year), and that these jobs can be a stepping stone to getting into the company post grad (The MSoft rep from UVA last ended up working at the main office after graduating).

I was also contacted by this company called iChapters to do marketing of their textbook buying service for the first 3 weeks of school. They didn't say how much they'd pay, so I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Basically, I love this site now. It's gotten me good job exposure and the people behind it have been really nice to me.

[quote name='Riyonuk']So your saying I walk around my school saying "Buy this"? How embarrasing >_>[/quote]

Hmm, not quite so overt. I'm planning to do a more subtle approach by setting up a table with free sweets/items and just talking about new Microsoft products. You never really have to pressure people to buy them, but getting the info out there is usually all you need.

There is no way I can do that, espically by myself. Now maybe if I got my friends to do it with me. But whose gonna buy them? I mean I live in the country, its rare to find someone that even know what cable is.

[quote name='Riyonuk']There is no way I can do that, espically by myself. Now maybe if I got my friends to do it with me. But whose gonna buy them? I mean I live in the country, its rare to find someone that even know what cable is.[/quote]

Ah, that's a problem...

[quote name='megabadd']Nice dhs! Are you talking with Tracy at Volt now?

I guess I'll see you in Seattle next weekend? I'll have my DS, PSP, and a Nintendo bag, so I should be pretty noticeable. I'll probably post what I plan to be wearing that day, so we should say 'hey'.[/QUOTE]

Hey. Actually I haven't talked with anyone yet. I'm a little worried because I got the job so late, I've only talked with the Mr Youth people. I hope Monday (technically today) I'll get a call and information.

I didn't even know the training was in Seattle until I read your post. Assuming everything works out, I'll have my DS and hope to meet you there.

Did you get plane tickets and information mailed to you? Will they email me info, and are the plane tickets the digital ones where i just need a number? Will they call me?

Sorry to bother you with questions but it's weird, in less than a week I have to be on a plane and before now I didn't even know where or for how long.

[quote name='dhs odium']Hey. Actually I haven't talked with anyone yet. I'm a little worried because I got the job so late, I've only talked with the Mr Youth people. I hope Monday (technically today) I'll get a call and information.

I didn't even know the training was in Seattle until I read your post. Assuming everything works out, I'll have my DS and hope to meet you there.

Did you get plane tickets and information mailed to you? Will they email me info, and are the plane tickets the digital ones where i just need a number? Will they call me?

Sorry to bother you with questions but it's weird, in less than a week I have to be on a plane and before now I didn't even know where or for how long.[/quote]
Well, Tracy from Volt has been emailing me after the Mr. Youth ppl passed along my info and I FINALLY got my employee documents today (Tax forms etc.), so they should be in contact with you soon.

The airplane tickets are E-tickets, I didn't get anything mailed to me, so we'll just have to use those emails to get our stuff.

Hey, no problem about the questions, I know that this can seem kinda disorienting (especially considering it's so late into the process as well).

Also, some good news, according to the employee papers, MSoft is lending us a laptop for the year :).

[quote name='megabadd']Well, Tracy from Volt has been emailing me after the Mr. Youth ppl passed along my info and I FINALLY got my employee documents today (Tax forms etc.), so they should be in contact with you soon.

The airplane tickets are E-tickets, I didn't get anything mailed to me, so we'll just have to use those emails to get our stuff.

Hey, no problem about the questions, I know that this can seem kinda disorienting (especially considering it's so late into the process as well).

Also, some good news, according to the employee papers, MSoft is lending us a laptop for the year :).[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I imagine the laptop will be running Vista and Office 07 to show people the new features. A good thing I've been using the beta versions of Vista and Office I guess.

What day do we leave for Seattle, Saturday? And what time would we be leaving from there?

I'm really hoping I hear from Volt today, because I haven't yet. Do you think it would be a good idea to try and contact them through email (I don't have any of their email addresses)? Or should I just wait and trust in that they have my information, and that things will get sorted out?

You said you got the job right after the phone interview, how long after you knew you were hired did you recieve info from Volt?

Because the Mr Youth person said she passed along my info, and that was on Thursday.

Thanks again.

[quote name='dhs odium']Hmm, I imagine the laptop will be running Vista and Office 07 to show people the new features. A good thing I've been using the beta versions of Vista and Office I guess.

What day do we leave for Seattle, Saturday? And what time would we be leaving from there?

I'm really hoping I hear from Volt today, because I haven't yet. Do you think it would be a good idea to try and contact them through email (I don't have any of their email addresses)? Or should I just wait and trust in that they have my information, and that things will get sorted out?

You said you got the job right after the phone interview, how long after you knew you were hired did you recieve info from Volt?

Because the Mr Youth person said she passed along my info, and that was on Thursday.

Thanks again.[/quote]

Well, I hope they do have Vista on it, otherwise I'd just have 3 laptops now...

I'm leaving for Seattle on Friday, as the festivities start early Sat. I am leaving Sunday evening, but you can also leave Monday morning.

Since it's getting kinda late, I'd suggest emailing Tracy at v-thack[at]microsoft.com

I think Volt got to me about a week after I got the position.

I hope this helped somewhat and gl!

[quote name='megabadd']Well, I hope they do have Vista on it, otherwise I'd just have 3 laptops now...

I'm leaving for Seattle on Friday, as the festivities start early Sat. I am leaving Sunday evening, but you can also leave Monday morning.

Since it's getting kinda late, I'd suggest emailing Tracy at v-thack[at]microsoft.com

I think Volt got to me about a week after I got the position.

I hope this helped somewhat and gl![/QUOTE]

Thanks. I got all the forms, except the cutoff date was last Wednesday for the Seattle training. I'll be training online and they will send me all the stuff like the Tablet PC and everything.

To bad I don't get a free trip out of it. I would have made a point to buy you lunch for all your help too.

:cry: I was looking forward to meeting another CAG and getting some DSing on (a free lunch didn't sound so bad either). Well, I'm glad you got everything straightened out.

Cool, so they told you we're getting Tablet PCs this year? Sweeeet.

bread's done
Back