Need a new receiver

djricekcn

CAGiversary!
So I'm bummed that my receiver doesn't support surround sound for the Wii-U because the Wii-U only does surround through 5.1LPCM...so my question is...what do you guys recommend? Don't worry about pricing, just throw me a series or model name and/or links.

I was looking at Onkyo, because that's my prefferred brand but looks like none of them support LPCM.

Only ones I found were the Sony receiver lines like the STR-DA1800ES and above....

Please help me out. need a decent (doesn't need to be super good, because my room isn't that big and I'm planning to continue using the speakers I currently have, which came from a home theater system, probably looking for at least a 4k passthrough and 4 HDMI .

thanks!

[quote name='djricekcn']
I was looking at Onkyo, because that's my prefferred brand but looks like none of them support LPCM. [/QUOTE]
Any receiver released since the advent of bluray will support LPCM.

I got a Denon 1312 six months or so ago in a deal for $150 that I've been very happy with. It's a pretty well reviewed lower-end model from a good brand. I'm no audiophile though, just jumped on it to upgrade from my old Sony receiver to get HDMI ports to clear out some cable clutter (got rid of a bunch of component cables and optical cables (and a manual optical cable switcher as I didn't have enough optical ins on the old receiver).

I'm thinking of the Onkyo TX-NR717...any thoughts? was thinking of the 818 too but ti's almost double the price from 717...and..well dont' really see major advantages 400 versus 800 dollars...unless if something is much better in the firmware?

[quote name='dmaul1114']I got a Denon 1312 six months or so ago in a deal for $150 that I've been very happy with. It's a pretty well reviewed lower-end model from a good brand. I'm no audiophile though, just jumped on it to upgrade from my old Sony receiver to get HDMI ports to clear out some cable clutter (got rid of a bunch of component cables and optical cables (and a manual optical cable switcher as I didn't have enough optical ins on the old receiver).[/QUOTE]

Denon ... they make delicious yogurt

OP: Any answer we can provide needs to have at least a budget in mind. It gives us the ability to find one in your price range.

[quote name='djricekcn']I'm thinking of the Onkyo TX-NR717...any thoughts? was thinking of the 818 too but ti's almost double the price from 717...and..well dont' really see major advantages 400 versus 800 dollars...unless if something is much better in the firmware?[/QUOTE]
Audyssey 2EQ vs MultEQ, if that's important to you. It was to me when I was shopping a couple of years ago. I wanted a receiver with Audyssey, and the Onkyo model in my price range had it, but it was a scaled down version (2EQ). The next model up had MultEQ, but it was at least $200 more expensive.

I ended up going with Denon, an AVR-790 I've been very happy with. Fewer HDMI ports, but it had all the other features I wanted. Lousy remote though...

bread's done
Back