Need Acer GD235HZ Monitor Deal! <Best gaming monitor!

Ltor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Acer GD235HZbid Black/orange 23.6" 2ms Widescreen 1080p 120Hz NVIDIA 3D Vision LCD Monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009222&Tpk=GD235HZ

Yea that^ its 370 on newegg but theres got to be a deal to be had on this guy somewhere! I've been wanting to but it for months but it's only dropped 30 bucks in that time. HELP ME

UPDATE: Since 3D isn't a priority for me and id like to go larger, i think i'm gonna go back to the drawing board and look for a monitor thats more what i need. Even if this is still the fastest monitor it's not worth the price. So if anyone knows a super fast 26-30' monitor that 360 looks sexy on let me know. A tv tuner would be nice too.

Last edited by a moderator:
That...seems like a severely overpriced product.

Makes me think of those 80-dollar Monster HDMI cables. You can get the same type of product for a lot less.

it's the fastest monitor on the market according to digitalversus and thats what i'm interested in. I've held off on going hd for gaming because of the input lag. This has the lowest input lag and ghosting of any hd monitor plus its 120hz 3D so while the price is high, it's warranted. That being said i'd still rather get it at $250 lol

If it were me I'd just go with an off the shelf 21.5" full HD Acer from Target for $160 and be done with it.

Either that or if you want some more options I made a thread where I asked advice on what to do with my current Acer monitor that I got from Target(which was clearly used when I bought it:bomb:).

It too is a full HD monitor and has an HDMI port right on it. The current Acer model at Target only has a DVI(w/ HDCP) port on it.

Here's the thread though, there were some pretty good deals on there(including a Vizio 720p tv for $209 shipped from Dell.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271420

yea i was reading your thread earlier, but the #1 thing i'm looking for is to have a monitor with the lowest input lag and ghosting as i plan to use it with my 360, that and i want a big one. Bigger then 24 even, ideally 28ish

That much for a 16:9 monitor...rofl.

FYI input lag hasn't been an issue on LCD monitors in quite awhile dude.

That's what I thought since I never experience it when I'm playing GTA on my Acer from Target.

And for someone who said they'd never understand the 'pretty pretty shiny shiny' routine that so many go gaga over with the HD displays, now I understand it.

Although if game devs actually spent time making games that'll display the same across all possible resolutions and none of that micro text shit that only is readable on a 90" f'n screen I'd be just a tad happier.

[quote name='SEH']That much for a 16:9 monitor...rofl.

FYI input lag hasn't been an issue on LCD monitors in quite awhile dude.[/QUOTE]

not so much in monitors, but while they handle that better they have problems w/ ghosting

Bought 26" monitor for a hundred less and has no lag and no ghosting...idk if your researching five year old monitors or what but lag and ghosting are essentially eradicated in new models of monitors...I play call of duty on an lcd monitor and my plasma and there us no such lag or ghosting...don't waste your money man

Generally games are considered decent at around 30 hz (And most people will not notice the difference between 30 hz and 60 hz). Supposedly, it's impossible to detect any changes above 60 hz. (Cartoon) Animations are done at 24 hz.

The monitor may refresh fast, but if the program updates slower, then that's the result you get.

In other words, you really don't need 120 hz.

...And if you play online. No matter how fast your connection is, there's generally going to be a latency of 50 ms to 200 ms. And from Wikipedia "In animals, reaction time to visual stimuli is typically 150 to 300 milliseconds" ; so in terms of ratio, 5 ms or 10 ms of monitor latency means pretty much nothing.

[quote name='knotfan123']Bought 26" monitor for a hundred less and has no lag and no ghosting...idk if your researching five year old monitors or what but lag and ghosting are essentially eradicated in new models of monitors...I play call of duty on an lcd monitor and my plasma and there us no such lag or ghosting...don't waste your money man[/QUOTE]

i dont get why people wanna debate this, i have sensitive ass hand eye coordination and i can tell when shits a few ms off and when when shits blurring and there are entire sites devoted to testing these things and giving accurate results. For example. Digitalversus.com

[quote name='jaideam']@LackeyZero - input lag is not pixel response time or refresh rate[/QUOTE]

Keyword "ratio". 2:150 or 2:300... (That is, suppose you're extroardinary with a 150 ms response time to visual stimuli. A 2 ms lag implies 152 ms to actually see the visual effects of your input onscreen. A 5 ms lag implies 155 ms.)

I notice input delay on all my friends hdtv's and they don't believe me. I have never played 360 on a monitor before but i don't wanna end up investing in a monitor only to find any miutely noticeable delay or ghosting.

many hdtvs have a MUCH higher input lag than 5 ms and when factoring that in with the numbers you cited being an average it stands to reason that there are individuals that are sensitive to this

The monitor is $369.99 on ewiz.com, and if you use the coupon code Hello you get $10 off, so you get it for $359.99 with no tax and free UPS ground shipping! I ordered mine earlier today and it shipped already. :D

Now I think I've seen everything when people are nitpicking over lag of milliseconds. Now if it were full seconds between when you press a button and you see some sort of reaction from your character on the screen, THEN I would worry about it.

I don't understand why people are hating on the op for wanting a low input lag monitor/tv - it can definitely make a difference, particularly when playing games when a single frame matters... You can youtube some examples of input lag and there are some significant examples and some where it is less impactful.

I'm not hating on the OP, but it seems like a miniscule thing to nitpick about.

Most normal human beings wouldn't give a shit about that. It's only the techno people who sit there and look for stuff to nitpick about that do.

But that's their own thing and to each their own. I just don't see the big deal.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm not hating on the OP, but it seems like a miniscule thing to nitpick about.

Most normal human beings wouldn't give a shit about that. It's only the techno people who sit there and look for stuff to nitpick about that do.

But that's their own thing and to each their own. I just don't see the big deal.[/QUOTE]

Could also be people who play timing sensitive games like shmups, rhythm games or fighters where the slightest delay can completely throw you off.

I second the recommendation for the Evo monitor btw.

I know this monitor gets smoked by some of the other monitors out there, but I'm getting it for 3D, and as far as 3D goes, this monitor is said to be the best one available now.

[quote name='Slickman']I know this monitor gets smoked by some of the other monitors out there, but I'm getting it for 3D, and as far as 3D goes, this monitor is said to be the best one available now.[/QUOTE]

Did you order the $180 nvidia 3d package as well or do you have a cheaper solution?

Get the asus 3d monitor that includes the 3d vision googles. It's on amazon for 500 and no taxes. Cheaper then acer + glasses bought separately . I actually bought the acer at compusa store as an impulse buy with the glasses and I was disappointed with it because it was not bright enough in 3d mode and I noticed ghosting in 3d mode. I was disappointed with it. Then I bought the asus monitor and it was superior in the 2 complaints I had for the acer. It's also cheaper and came out more recently. Makes 3d functional because you need a very bright monitor and the asus backlight is brighter. Contrast ratio is better on the asus. After buying both of them, I wouldn't recommend the acer to anyone who wants to use 3d. I recommend the asus.

[quote name='Ltor']Did you order the $180 nvidia 3d package as well or do you have a cheaper solution?[/QUOTE]

I already have the glasses, I got them first until I could save up enough to get the monitor. My monitor is set to be delivered next friday, I can't wait!

[quote name='cheapbrokegamer']Get the asus 3d monitor that includes the 3d vision googles. It's on amazon for 500 and no taxes. Cheaper then acer + glasses bought separately . I actually bought the acer at compusa store as an impulse buy with the glasses and I was disappointed with it because it was not bright enough in 3d mode and I noticed ghosting in 3d mode. I was disappointed with it. Then I bought the asus monitor and it was superior in the 2 complaints I had for the acer. It's also cheaper and came out more recently. Makes 3d functional because you need a very bright monitor and the asus backlight is brighter. Contrast ratio is better on the asus. After buying both of them, I wouldn't recommend the acer to anyone who wants to use 3d. I recommend the asus.[/QUOTE]

I ordered the glasses, then literally like 2 hours later I discovered the Asus monitor. You can only buy the Asus with the glasses and it was too late to cancel my order. :cry:

[quote name='Slickman']I ordered the glasses, then literally like 2 hours later I discovered the Asus monitor. You can only buy the Asus with the glasses and it was too late to cancel my order. :cry:[/QUOTE]

I return the acer and the glasses and was charged 15 percent restocking fee. Since the asus is cheaper, I actually ended up even. I'm telling you, after owning both the acer and the asus, the asus is noticeably better

[quote name='cheapbrokegamer']I return the acer and the glasses and was charged 15 percent restocking fee. Since the asus is cheaper, I actually ended up even. I'm telling you, after owning both the acer and the asus, the asus is noticeably better[/QUOTE

3 things

would it be fair to say the acer is better in 2d the the asus and the asus is better in 3d then the acer?

also can you explain how this 3d works, don't you need some little transmitter that goes with the glasses?

also can it make everything 3d? like xbx 360 games or only games that are specifically 3d?

[quote name='Ltor'][quote name='cheapbrokegamer']I return the acer and the glasses and was charged 15 percent restocking fee. Since the asus is cheaper, I actually ended up even. I'm telling you, after owning both the acer and the asus, the asus is noticeably better[/QUOTE

3 things

would it be fair to say the acer is better in 2d the the asus and the asus is better in 3d then the acer?

also can you explain how this 3d works, don't you need some little transmitter that goes with the glasses?

also can it make everything 3d? like xbx 360 games or only games that are specifically 3d?[/QUOTE]

I can answer some of that for you. It can't make everything 3D, but it makes all the popular PC games 3D. You need a powerful NVidia graphics card to run the games in 3D with acceptable framerates. The transmitter comes with the glasses in the package. There's a list on the Nvidia website of the supported games, all the popular games of the past 5-6 years are on there. You need the glasses, transmitter, and a monitor that can do at least 85HZ.

[quote name='Slickman'][quote name='Ltor']

I can answer some of that for you. It can't make everything 3D, but it makes all the popular PC games 3D. You need a powerful NVidia graphics card to run the games in 3D with acceptable framerates. The transmitter comes with the glasses in the package. There's a list on the Nvidia website of the supported games, all the popular games of the past 5-6 years are on there. You need the glasses, transmitter, and a monitor that can do at least 85HZ.[/QUOTE]

being a mainly console gamer is this for me? The only game i plan to play on the comp would be wow cataclysm and even then i'll be playing it on windows 7 installed via bootcamp on a macbook pro laptop. I was planning on getting this mainly so i can play 360 in virtually input lagless HD finally and move off my old tube tv.

[quote name='Ltor'][quote name='cheapbrokegamer']I return the acer and the glasses and was charged 15 percent restocking fee. Since the asus is cheaper, I actually ended up even. I'm telling you, after owning both the acer and the asus, the asus is noticeably better[/QUOTE

3 things

also can it make everything 3d? like xbx 360 games or only games that are specifically 3d?[/QUOTE]

Specs on asus are better than the acer. Yes glasses require transmitter included already.

No, this is not for console gaming. Requires pc with nvidia video card, but I still play many console games on the pc like battlefield bc2, metro 2033, just cause. For console gaming I cannot recommend the asus $500 package as it includes the 3d glasses. I cannot recommend the acer either for console gaming as it is also expensive at $370.

Let me clarify one thing, both monitors look great in 2d mode. When the 3d glasses are activated, the glasses become dark, they are battery operated so they can dim/darken thus making it harder to distinguish details on the screens (it's like putting on sunglasses). The acer is not as bright as the asus, so more details are able to come through your glasses with the asus. The aver has 300 brightness (sorry I don know the units) and the asus has 400 brightness

[quote name='cheapbrokegamer'][quote name='Ltor']

Specs on asus are better than the acer. Yes glasses require transmitter included already.

No, this is not for console gaming. Requires pc with nvidia video card, but I still play many console games on the pc like battlefield bc2, metro 2033, just cause. For console gaming I cannot recommend the asus $500 package as it includes the 3d glasses. I cannot recommend the acer either for console gaming as it is also expensive at $370.

Let me clarify one thing, both monitors look great in 2d mode. When the 3d glasses are activated, the glasses become dark, they are battery operated so they can dim/darken thus making it harder to distinguish details on the screens (it's like putting on sunglasses). The acer is not as bright as the asus, so more details are able to come through your glasses with the asus. The aver has 300 brightness (sorry I don know the units) and the asus has 400 brightness[/QUOTE]

Since 3D isn't a priority for me and id like to go larger, i think i'm gonna go back to the drawing board and look for a monitor thats more what i need. Even if this is still the fastest monitor it's not worth the price. So if anyone knows a super fast 26-30' monitor that 360 looks sexy on let me know. A tv tuner would be nice too.

then what stats do you look for if you're concerned about input lag? im in the market for a 20-25 inch monitor as well, but i play a lot of fighters so...

[quote name='panzerfaust']then what stats do you look for if you're concerned about input lag? im in the market for a 20-25 inch monitor as well, but i play a lot of fighters so...[/QUOTE]

input lag is tricky, theres no real stat for it. But sites like digitalversus and prad.de do their own tests for it. So look there, low response time is generally an indicator of low input lag but not always

[quote name='Ltor']i dont get why people wanna debate this, i have sensitive ass hand eye coordination and i can tell when shits a few ms off and when when shits blurring and there are entire sites devoted to testing these things and giving accurate results. For example. Digitalversus.com[/QUOTE]

And there are probably sites out there that do tests trying to determine that some HDMI cables give better picture quality than others (protip: they're literally all identical), too.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']And there are probably sites out there that do tests trying to determine that some HDMI cables give better picture quality than others (protip: they're literally all identical), too.[/QUOTE]

pro tip your an idiot and hopefully never find your way back to this thread. And to the few people that have tried to help thank you. Guess i'll go sift my way through the hardforum.com for answers

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']And there are probably sites out there that do tests trying to determine that some HDMI cables give better picture quality than others (protip: they're literally all identical), too.[/QUOTE]

Being a moron, I ended up grabbing an $80 Monster HDMI cable from BestBuy last christmas after getting some BB gift cards (I had just gotten my first HDTV and didn't know about Monoprice and all that jazz.) Anyways, I use that for the ol' 360, and then i bought 2 $2 HDMI cables off of Amazon...

I gotta say, man, it's not THAT bad, but there's definitely some more pixelation in the $2 cables. I'm not sure whether they were just shoddily made or what, but there's definitely a difference.

[quote name='Ltor']pro tip your an idiot and hopefully never find your way back to this thread.[/QUOTE]

Jesus. Care to elaborate?

[quote name='AlphaPanda']I gotta say, man, it's not THAT bad, but there's definitely some more pixelation in the $2 cables. I'm not sure whether they were just shoddily made or what, but there's definitely a difference.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, dude, but that just isn't possible. HDMI carries a purely digital signal; either the signal goes through, or it doesn't. It's like, your digital photos don't vary in quality if you store them on one memory card, versus another. It's the same principle with HDMI.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Jesus. Care to elaborate?[/QUOTE]

Input Lag isn't a myth like 200 monster hdmi cables

[quote name='Ltor']Input Lag isn't a myth like 200 monster hdmi cables[/QUOTE]
I never said it wasn't. It only gets so good, though (there is no such thing as truly "lagless," like you asked for, but I'm sure you know that). No need to call me an idiot.

Also:
[quote name='Ltor']i have sensitive ass hand eye coordination[/QUOTE]
Did nobody else notice how funny this sentence can be, when read the right way? "Ass-hand-eye coordination" sounds like something that could get you slapped with a harassment suit.

bread's done
Back