need advice about getting a wired connection

swizzy

CAGiversary!
Ok so I want to get a wired connection for my internet enabled devices(google tv, ps3, ps4, 360 and pc) but the modem isn't in my room, so i need to drill some holes going into the room that has the modem. But before I do so, i want to be 100% sure that an ethernet switch is basically the same idea as a Power strip(as in use one ethernet port in order to plug in 5+ more.) If so, I was planning on buying this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033GFH2E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Anyone know of one similar thats cheaper?(i want one with at least 8 ports)

Yes, a "switch" is fine. I'm using a Netgear switch that I got free from work because they were upgrading. I have 1 ethernet in and 4 going out (PC, Server, PS3, printer).

Just as an option before you start drilling holes...I use a powerline networking setup and it's been working fine. Our UVerse modem is on the other end of the house from my "office"...though actually if I remember right...I did have to make sure not to have 2 powerline "receivers" on the same electrical breaker...but that could have been something just with my house.

Ok, so before I buy the switch, i made a mmistake in my first post, i also meant to ask if you can plug in a ethernet switch to a router?

bread's done
Back