Need Advice On Intel Core 2 Duo Not For Gaming!!!!

I wanted to know if I would see a noticable difference particularly in "backing up" of multiple DVDs and CDs if I upgraded my CPU (pentium 4 3.06 ghz) to an intel core 2 duo e6300($180 with motherboard at Fry's)

I would say no, because burning DVD depends more on the rate at which the harddrive can read 4 DVDs worth of information at once. I have an 18X DVD burner and it says 18X writes at around 24MB/s. My regular 7200 IDE Seagate can read at about 30MB/s consistantly (not burst). So basically if I burn a DVD, the harddrive is pretty much dedicated to the DVD burner. If you were to burn 4 DVD's at the same time (I'm assuming you have 4 DVD burners in a single case on IDE/SATA along w/ a few harddrives in the same computer), you'll need a harddrive that can read 24MB/s X 4 = 96MB/s (very ballpark estimate). You get the idea. So I really doubt the processor is the source of your slowdown in burning 4 DVDs at the same time. I can be wrong, since I don't know exactly your setup in your computer, I'm just going by assumptions. Burning DVDs usually do not take more than 10% of the processing load, so I can't imagine your Pentium 4 is slowing you down, but rather, more likely the harddrive.

Hi, I do have 3 DVD burners in my computer case and 1 External Plextor via usb(Never has any problems with the buffer or speed). Also when I have just one of the internal burners running with my external buner they run fine.(prolly the max read data like you stated above though the external burner is the only burner that stays at a constant speed while multple burners are running) Both of my hard drives are 7200 pata. 120gb-system files and 400gb-all media files. So if I upgrade to a Sata Hard Drive that should help? I have 1.5 gb of ram. Would more ram help? Also what about multitasking with the core duo(Is it any noticably better than the Pentium 4 that I have? because I always have multiple programs open while ripping/encoding/burning. My computer does not slow down too much but I want it a lot faster. Thanks for the reply It really did help. If you can give me any more info on the data I provided that would be excellent.

If you want to increase speeds, you need to reduce the load on the IDEs. An IDE can support two devices but it can actually only transfer data to a single device at a time.

If you want to see a noticeable upgrade, you'd have to dedicate each device to it's own port (meaning each device gets its own IDE/SATA port). That means you'd have to get a new mobo or get a PCI IDE card to support all your burners and HDs. But a CPU upgrade shouldn't do much for you.

A Core 2 Duo would help if you for encoding. Encoding (especially video encoding) is heavily dependent on the processor and ram.

Seriously though, why do you have 4 burners and need to burn/rip so much stuff? Are you running a bootlegging operation?:whistle2:?

Any benefits depend heavily on the software in use. If it is designed to take advantage of mulitple thread execution, whether via entire CPU cores or HyperThreading or both, then there can be some benefit. From there, the effectiveness would depnd on the ability of the individual threads to reach the hardware outside the CPU(s) without delay.

The $180 deal at Fry's should be avoided. The VIA chipset used in the motherboard is horrible crap compared to Intel or Nvidia based boards. Strictly bargain basement

That said, just because you aren't doing it for a profit does not excuse you from the illegality of appropriating the property of others. You're going to do what you're going to do but don't make feeble excuses.

Alright thanks for all of the help. It was much appreciated. I guess I will decide on getting the core duo or a new MB because I have the same MB that comes in that bundle. Thanks again everybody
Laterz

[quote name='Vinny']If you want to increase speeds, you need to reduce the load on the IDEs. An IDE can support two devices but it can actually only transfer data to a single device at a time.

If you want to see a noticeable upgrade, you'd have to dedicate each device to it's own port (meaning each device gets its own IDE/SATA port). That means you'd have to get a new mobo or get a PCI IDE card to support all your burners and HDs. But a CPU upgrade shouldn't do much for you.

A Core 2 Duo would help if you for encoding. Encoding (especially video encoding) is heavily dependent on the processor and ram.

Seriously though, why do you have 4 burners and need to burn/rip so much stuff? Are you running a bootlegging operation?:whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

This would be true for older equipment but modern ATA100/133 and the chipsets that support it have far more bandwidth than any two DVD burners together can use up. The latest 20x DVd burners (just got one yesterday for a new Vista box) will at best run through 24 MB a second, assuming everything else involved is supporting this. Try finding 20x media or even reliable 18x media for those drives that are a couple months older.

So altogether, the two drives will create a load of less than 50 MB and considerably less if they're doing identical burns with smart software. That is far short of overwhelming ATA100. The only case where you'll really see the peak IDE bus performance used is for 4 or more striped drives in a RAID. No individual device had the kind of throughput needed to push the limits before SATA became the standard. SATA optical drives are now available but at a steep premium. By the time optical drive get fast enough to really need SATA, if ever, they'll be at the low end of SATA performance just as they trailed hard drives on older bus types.

bread's done
Back