Need Advice on what System to Buy

DCJ83

CAGiversary!
I've been saving up my money for the past month to get either a DS or PSP System. After watching vids of people playing Final Fantasy XIII however, I decided to save up to get a PS3, specifically the FFXIII PS3 in case they release it here in the United States or just a regular system if they don't.

I checked GameStop's site today, and saw that a store in my area still has the Final Fantasy Dissidia PSP Bundle. It's the only store in my area that still carries it, and the Bundle isn't available online anymore.

Right now I have around $200, so I can afford the Bundle, but I still want to save for the PS3 in time for Final Fantasy XIII and some other games coming out this year for the system. So I'm kinda conflicted on what to buy. Originally I was going to save up and wait until the beginning of February to see if the FFXIII PS3 might come State-side. But I'm worried I might miss out on the Bundle if their stock for it is limited and I wait too long to get it.

So what should I do? Continue saving for the PS3? Buy the PSP-Dissidia Bundle? Or do you have another suggestion on what I should do with the cash I'm saving?

A lot of it depends on your gaming habit. Do you have a TV (HD preferably) that's not contested by your significant others/children/parents? Do you have time to play on the go? Long commute on the train etc....

Gaming wise, I would go with PS3. It is a better value, got XIII coming among other JRPG. It has a better library than PSP and it will be your central hub. When you do get a PSP later, it will fit nicely with your PS3.

Plus, cost wise, when you do get a PSP, you will likely find the memory stick that come with the bundle to be small which cost another $20+. but let's say you don't buy additional memory, you will buy a screen protector for $7. You will buy a case for $15 and you will likely buy some sort of UMD case for another $5-$10. It adds up.

Also, the PSP that come with the US Dissidia is just a plain silver PSP (not the special 20th anniversary Dissidia PSP that Japan got). Dissidia comes in a card board slip case. You are not really saving much more than $10 or so.... so you won't be missing much should you buy them individually at a later time when the bundle is no longer available.

Either PS3 or DS. The PSP just doesn't have much going for it and Sony doesn't know what to focus on. I quit using mine due to the update fiasco and don't miss it.

I wish I could tell you when the next revision/bundle comes out or if there'll be a price drop. If you're eager to get the next FF then I'd say stick with saving for the PS3 and if you find enough then start looking at the DS. I mean would you feel worse not having re-saved enough by FF's launch or waiting a little longer for a new console?

Do you have a 360? If not, you should. Especially if you like to play on-line. Don't get me wrong, I like my PS3 (GoW, Infamous, Uncharted). But (imo) the complete package lies with the 360. But my friends are n different states, so social gaming is important to me.

Portable... DSi. It turned me into a portable gamer!

Do you want to game on the toilet?

PSP/DS it is!

In all seriousness, the way I look at it is that the PSP or DS is a better deal/value judged on it's software library alone. You've got at least 5 years of games to catch up on.

bread's done
Back