Need an SD card reader for my old. crappy computer

DuelLadyS

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Ok folks... I got my first cellphone today. I picked a Fusic as I've never owned an MP3 player either, and it just seemed sensible to get both in one shot.

However, my computer is pretty old (running on Windows 98 SE), and as such does not recqonize the phone/memory card when plugged in with the USB cable. it has no bulit-in MC slots, so I need to buy a card reader.

I'm looking for reccomendations for cheap, good-quality card readers, that our old system will be able to work with. Something plug-and-play is preferred to avoid eating up hard drive space. (Something I can buy in a B&M is also good, but not wholly nessecary, as I can load some starter songs on my BF's much newer computer for the time being.)

And yes, I realize I'm horribly tech-outdated, so let's not comment on that. :D

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I would assume your PC doesn't have USB 2.0 (a PC that old would have USB 1.1 if anything). So you will need to open up the computer to install a USB 2.0 PCI card. And then get a USB 2.0 card reader.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815107102
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609188[/QUOTE]
USB 2.0 is backward compatible with USB 1.1. Any USB card reader should work. The USB 2.0 PCI card would just be if he wanted it to transfer faster.

EDIT: You'll need to make sure that the card reader has drivers (either in the package or downloadable) for 98.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']USB 2.0 is backward compatible with USB 1.1. Any USB card reader should work. The USB 2.0 PCI card would just be if he wanted it to transfer faster.

EDIT: You'll need to make sure that the card reader has drivers (either in the package or downloadable) for 98.[/QUOTE]

USB1.1 probably wouldn't be able to power a card reader. Some devices are both USB1.1 and USB2.0 compatible, some aren't.

I don't think they even made card readers back when Windows 98 was around... this could get a bit tricky.

Most card readers don't come with drivers or anything because they were meant for plug-n-play on XP.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']USB1.1 probably wouldn't be able to power a card reader. Some devices are both USB1.1 and USB2.0 compatible, some aren't.[/QUOTE]
I don't feel like doing the research to prove otherwise, but I believe you're wrong.

[quote name='Vinny']I don't think they even made card readers back when Windows 98 was around... this could get a bit tricky.

Most card readers don't come with drivers or anything because they were meant for plug-n-play on XP.[/quote]you guys are too young. i've had a card reader since 1998 for compact flash and mmc (the predecessor of SD). they work for windows 98 and with usb 1.1

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I would assume your PC doesn't have USB 2.0 (a PC that old would have USB 1.1)[/quote]

Umm... how do I tell?

I mean, I'm inclined to think it must be 2.0 since the computer knew the phone was connected... it just couldn't find the right drivers to set up so I could do anything with it.

Are the 1.1 plugs shaped different or something?

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Umm... how do I tell?

I mean, I'm inclined to think it must be 2.0 since the computer knew the phone was connected... it just couldn't find the right drivers to set up so I could do anything with it.

Are the 1.1 plugs shaped different or something?[/QUOTE]
Seeing how USB 2.0 wasnt created until 2000, you are probably using 1.1 The plugs are the same shape

[quote name='PenguinMaster']USB1.1 probably wouldn't be able to power a card reader. Some devices are both USB1.1 and USB2.0 compatible, some aren't.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. The power structure of USB has been the same since the 1.0 spec. Each powered port supplies 5v at 500 mA. This applies to any port coming off the motherboard or a powered hub.

Should be able to. I have a USB2.0 SD/MMC reader that I usually plug into my Apple keyboard, which is only a USB1.1 hub.

Any USB card reader will work. The USB 1.1 speed will be used but this isn't a severe penalty for small files if you aren't in a hurry. I have a 2GB MP3 player that was a great bargain but is only USB 1.1 capable. Loading up a 1GB audio book can take about 20 minutes but that book will be about 25 hours of continuous listening, meaning a week or more of drive time.

The primary issue will be drivers for devices other than Compact Flash. CF has an IDE controller built in, which is why CF is much simpler to manage in older devices. By comparison, I once killed an Olympus camera by inserting an 8MB SmartMedia card. The camera was only designed to handle 4MB and smaller SM cards and handled the situation extremely badly. The camera was so locked up it had to be sent back to the company for repair. This was never an issue for CF because it looks exactly like a hard drive controller to the system and takes responsibility for the capacity unto itself.

If you Google on 'SD card reader driver Windows 98' you'll find plenty of support for enabling SD cards (your phone probably uses a sub-variant of that) on Windows 98 with the chipsets used in most USB card readers.

Seriously though, you need a new PC. They're incredibly cheap these days. Consider this, most bargain basement Compaq/HP models will have a card reader built in. So if you adjust your budget upwards for a really super deluxe card reader, the new PC comes free!

bread's done
Back