Need cheap HDTV

blackbird3216

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Hey, I need a cheap HDTV for a replacement of an old Sony SDTV. I don't wanna pay over about $700(this site is called cheap ass gamer for a reason:)) but if i could get a 1080p and a good brand, that'll be nice.

:rofl:[quote name='blackbird3216']Hey, I need a cheap HDTV for a replacement of an old Sony SDTV. I don't wanna pay over about $700(this site is called cheap ass gamer for a reason) but if i could get a 1080p and a good brand, that'll be nice.[/quote]

1080p and a "good" brand all for under 700? First what size do you want anything under 50" your wasting your money on 1080p. At this point the only TV I could even begin to tell you about is a 47" Vizio 1080p at the msrp is 1699.99 but can be had for under 1500.00 .

So First

How big do you want?

How big is the room its going in?

How far are you setting from the TV?

I can point you to a lot of HDTV's under 700.00 but I need to know what you want.

EDIT:

After a quick web search I did dig up 2 TV's that are "good" brands well one really good and one good

Aquos 32" 1080p LCD for a tad over 1,100.00
http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC32GP1U-1080p-Gaming/dp/B000NKAYWG

And a Westinghouse 42" LCD for 1,079.00 at BB

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8386285&type=product&id=1181831586462

After some coupons you could get the westy down to near 900.00 not a bad deal at all..

[quote name='Kfoster1979']:rofl:

1080p and a "good" brand all for under 700? First what size do you want anything under 50" your wasting your money on 1080p. At this point the only TV I could even begin to tell you about is a 47" Vizio 1080p at the msrp is 1699.99 but can be had for under 1500.00 .

So First

How big do you want?

How big is the room its going in?

How far are you setting from the TV?

I can point you to a lot of HDTV's under 700.00 but I need to know what you want.

EDIT:

After a quick web search I did dig up 2 TV's that are "good" brands well one really good and one good

Aquos 32" 1080p LCD for a tad over 1,100.00
http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC32GP1U-1080p-Gaming/dp/B000NKAYWG

And a Westinghouse 42" LCD for 1,079.00 at BB

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8386285&type=product&id=1181831586462

After some coupons you could get the westy down to near 900.00 not a bad deal at all..[/QUOTE]
oops, i forgot. I want a 32inch, it's about 6 feet away from where im sitting(probably more because i counted this with a CRT) And, btw i don't think im going to have alot of HD content, let alone 1080p.

[quote name='blackbird3216']oops, i forgot. I want a 32inch, it's about 6 feet away from where im sitting(probably more because i counted this with a CRT) And, btw i don't think im going to have alot of HD content, let alone 1080p.[/quote]

I'm not sure where you live but an antenna should give you most if not all the networks in HD. Take a look here http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

And if you have cable make sure you get a tv with a QAM tuner plug the coax right into the tv and you should get the unlocked HD stations usually the same stuff you get Over the Air. (aka OTA ) And your right there is no 1080p content out now with the exception of some games, HD-dvd, and Blu Ray.

So with the info I see above you should stay in the 32" - 42" range. Like I said above 1080p is a moot point now under 50" it's a waste of money. If I have said it once I will say it a thousand times look into Vizio http://www.vizio.com/ best bang for the buck IMO. You can also look at Olevia. Westinghouse, and lower end Samsungs for a good brand at a cheap price.

You can look into a CRT HDTV but they top out a 32" and are heavy. You will get the best blacks and nice looking SD and can be bought for next to nothing.

I know I haven't posted any deals but look around on here there seems to be a thread everyday about a cheap tv or someone looking for one with some good reco's.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']How are ghosting on Vizio TVs? Huge issue for me.[/quote]
Not for me, My Vizio has never had a ghosting issue (26" from Wal mart) nor has my Friends 47" 1080p . And I have yet to see one on display in store that had any kind of ghosting issue . The issues you are talking about tend to only happen on the Factory settings on the some of the early plasma models. If you have ghosting that can't be tuned out you will see it from day one so box it up and take it back. From what I have read on AVS Forum the ghosting issues they did have are all but gone. However in the end I still think Vizio is a best buy for the money.

Yeah, ive heard alot of good thing about vizio. I just don't know if i should get a 1080p to futureproof. We don't wanna buy something in the thousands though. If you could give me some examples, i'd appreciate it.

Check Consumer reports... Olevia was one of the top rated in that range.

* Actually I am logged on now and it is the top rated at 32"

I think I saw this exact model at Target for $600 or so locally. The contrast ratio is a bit low... I personally am going with Samsung here soon and at that exact same size.. I am looking at 900 or so, but the olevia has looked impressive.

Olevia 532H Was the model Consumer Reports cited as a CR Best Buy in that Size. And CR claimed a $700 price tag so its probably cheaper by now.

Good luck.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']To be honest, ghosting is the thing that seperates me from buying a 650 dollar Vizio and an 800 dollar Sharp. Nice.[/QUOTE]What is this ghosting issue you speak of I have yet to see anything like that and have heard less.

I haven't noticed any ghosting on my Vizio either, if there was a huge ghosting issue it would be brought up on the avs forums, which it hasn't.

I said this in an another post on this same forum, but I'll repeat myself.

DO NOT buy a Vizio from Walmart, get the superior VX32L for the same price at CC/Costco/Sam's Club.

Edit: How are the 232V Olevia's? CC has it for $529.99! http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Spec...2/rpem/ccd/productDetailSpecification.do#tabs

Ghosting is an outline of fast moving objects when they appear on screen I think. I haven't actually seen it my self and I don't know much about it, but I figure it'd suck to have while gaming.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']Ghosting is an outline of fast moving objects when they appear on screen I think. I haven't actually seen it my self and I don't know much about it, but I figure it'd suck to have while gaming.[/quote]
I know what ghosting is I should have asked my question better. What I should have asked is were did you hear of this issues I have seen very little about ghosting with Vizios? Like I said above some of the first LCD's they made when set on the super bright and super sharp settings had that issues. But now that all of the LCD's they make are under the 8ms response time it's a non-issue. This can happen with any LCD when cold or a slow response time. I'm not trying to change your mind if you don't like a TV you don't like it but I think you should give them a good look.

I didn't hear them from anywhere. Was just wondering. Now I will actually pay more attention to the vizios. I'm not the biggest picture quality buff and am not strapped for cash. I think Vizio would be a good first HDTV. When I can afford a better brand I'll just give the TV to my family ( when I buy it ).

I also have Vizio 42" LCD 1080i no ghosting and it really lookks great w/ PS3 and Xbox 360, great price and HD looks really good!

bread's done
Back