Need CHEAP SETUP for DORM ROOM. Dont Need A TV Just a monitor and sound.

Chris Dillon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
In about 3 months ill be transferring and my big ass high def television can't make the trip to my dorm room. Ill just bring my small television that used to be in the kitchen for television but I need something that I can set on the second shelf of a desk that is high def (all monitors are right?) and a sound setup with two speakers and maybe a sub. The soundsetup could also be used for my IPOD as well so easily switchable would be a plus. 17 inches would be probably the best situation both size and space wise but a cheap setup is what I'm after so Im not playing games on my crappy little television not being able to read anything. I hate playing people who can never read anybodys name cause I know they dont have a high def television.THANKS GUYS.

Grab a high def of DVI monitor, the 360 to VGA cables, and the Logitech Z300 speakers. That's what I have for my setup at least.

You'll need a tiny coupler to plug in the speakers but they can be found at Radio Shack for around $5. My recommendation is a Samsung because they look awesome when hooked to a 360.

if you meant the 2300 100$ seems a little to high if i was going to spend 200$ on a monitor. It seems i would want a 19 inch widescreen and the cheapest i can find is the refurbs on dell.com for about 170.

Edit-now that I think of it, I was gonna buy my friends bose ipod sounddock for 150$. I guess I could sacrafice that and pick up those speakers for 100$. Well, my limit on sound is 100$. Anything a bit less clunky?

I'd say get a monitor, VGA cords for the Xbox and wireless headphones/a cheap pair of computer speakers for sound.

I'm using a Samsung 19" monitor and one like mine is around $215 after MIR on NewEgg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001094

Nice thing about that one is it has both DVI and VGA ports so you could hook both your 360 and computer to it at the same time.

Don't cheap out on the VGA cord, get the offical Microsoft one. Try getting it used from Ebgames/Gamestop. I heard they have them cheap.

For sound, I would say go with both the wireless headphones and the cheap computer speakers if you can. That way depending on the situation, you can just swap out the cables depending on the situation (they both use red/white so it's as easy as plugging them into the couplers)

Just about any pair of computer speakers should work as long as you buy a pair of couplers from Radioshack. Those will cost you less than $5. You can get a cheap 2.1 setup from NewEgg for $45+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116024

Wireless headphones are a little more tricky but this way, you can just plug your iPod into the 360 and stream it from there (or if you have something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855995028, I'm pretty sure you could hook it right into the headphones)

I have these hooked up to my computer/360 and they kick ass.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120-Wireless-Headphones-Charging/dp/B0001FTVEK

Just don't set the reciever close to the monitor or anything like that. It will pick up interference.

-----------

Whichever way you go, it shouldn't be too much out of your pocket to get a pretty bitchin' set-up

Just be careful having all of that crap in your dormroom, you wouldn't want anything to get stolen.

just wondering, but do u really need to have high definition and a speaker set up when you are in a dorm??

Dont mean to hop in here but sporadic. You said you use those sennheiser headphones for 360. I just wanted to know how good they sound with games. are they nice and deep. I was thinking of the turtle beach x3's but if these are good then I'm all over them. Also to contribute a bit to the thread. OP you should check out stores like best buy and circuit city. I for one know we just moved ALOT of older samsung 19+ inch monitors to open box and they ranged from 160+ that might be a good option as well.

bill123

good recemendation. I dont really want to go with the wireless headset. I rock headphones all around campus, i just want to chill and fill the room with the sound.

[quote name='bill123']Dont mean to hop in here but sporadic. You said you use those sennheiser headphones for 360. I just wanted to know how good they sound with games. are they nice and deep. I was thinking of the turtle beach x3's but if these are good then I'm all over them.[/QUOTE]

I love them.

They aren't super bassy, if that's what you mean by nice and deep, but they definitely get the job done with both gaming and movies.

Very clear with no audible hiss or anything of that nature.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']good recemendation. I dont really want to go with the wireless headset. I rock headphones all around campus, i just want to chill and fill the room with the sound.[/QUOTE]

Seems like Staples is selling a 19" widescreen Acer for $150

Never used one before but I thought I would throw it out there for you. Only bad thing about it is that it only has one input so you won't be able to switch between your Xbox and PC if you ever feel the need to do that. :/

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...d=10001&catalogIdentifier=2&partNumber=668615

I only need one imput though. I have a laptop, I guess two could be a plus if i ever break my laptop and need a quick computer. I think im going to go with one of the dells that are refurbs off their website. 170 with warranty is fine I guess. Im thinking of going with the Z300's that were recomended but would those be easy to switch from ipod to monitor and back again? I wouldnt need my ipod hooked up while gaming, I would just use my computer to listen to music but how would those speakers be with my ipod. My room isnt very big but i dont want a staticky junky sound.

bread's done
Back