Need computer help ASAP

munoi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Hey CAG

As of right now my computer acting wierd to say the least...
It seems to have a problem playing certain games, while other games ran flawlessly (Call of Duty 4). In addition certain applications are taking a long ass amount of time to load.

For the first problem I sent in a RMA request which was accepted; however someone suggested if I simply reformat my hardrive I'd be fine. This leads me into my second problem I lost both my windows cd and my authorization code while I was moving back home (It was the OEM version). So I was thinking about calling Mircosoft and seeing if I can work something out. Do you think that my graphics card is defective or is it simply an error in windows?

The reason I believe that it's hardware related is because of the various graphical glitches that occur just before the game crashes ( yellow landscapes, distrotions etc.)

I realize that this is a lengthy, but I'd really appriciate any help that is given

Thanks

Btw Specs
1.8 Ghz Core 2 duo
Windows xp
2 gb ram
8800 gt
500 powersupply
I'd admit my room/case is pretty warm though nothing dangerously high

Do you get lines on your screen when running games? Like if a character is moving, are there lines coming off it going all over the screen, random shapes poping up ect ect?
Also, does your card have a jumper? Might try clearing that if it does, a small thing that gets overlooked, but fixes a lot of problems

Have you checked to make sure your video card and system fans are all still running properly and aren't gunked up with dust (or broken altogether).

Beyond that I would probably agree with the assessment that reinstalling Windows is a good next step.

Actually Shadow916 thats exactly whats happening

My main issue is that I can't tell if this problem is hardware/software related. As of right now I'm away from my computer though as soon as I get home I'll try out all of you guy's suggestions

Anyway any more advice would be appreciated
Thanks

That sounds like "artifacts", wich is a GPU/RAM issue with the card. Been there on 3 cards (An old Vodoo nVidia, Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro x2). The card needs to be sent back for that. Either the card is defective or the heatsink isn't seated right and isn't doing it's job.

[quote name='Shadows916']That sounds like "artifacts", wich is a GPU/RAM issue with the card. Been there on 3 cards (An old Vodoo nVidia, Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro x2). The card needs to be sent back for that. Either the card is defective or the heatsink isn't seated right and isn't doing it's job.[/quote]

Sounds like it. How long ago did the problems start? Remember anything happening that started the problems?

Also, could be your system is overheating if it has been a while since it has been airdusted. That happened with my old desktop. Too much dust in the video card fan/heatsink caused it to overheat.:hot:

Ok thats good to hear; it was the first shipment of the 8800gt's so I knew there might be a risk in jumping onboard. But at least I know what needs to be done; I'd hate spending $5-10 on shipping only to get a new card with the same problems, so its good to know that it IS the card. As for my second problem, with reformating, does is Mircosoft ok with shipping replacement OEM software or would I need an entirely new cd/code.

Thanks again

my dealings with them on the past leads to having to buy a new copy. a cheaper way out if you can get your hands on an older copy of windows (98,2k ect), install it, don't even have to validate it. as soon as it's installed, you can get an upgrade xp copy for half the price of a full stand alone version. install that and it updates/rewrites the older version to XP, comes with a key. there are other ways around having to keep buying a new version/ or new key if you have the cd (35 bucks for new key), but that's a secret ;P

If your computer is a store bought, you can contact the maker and order the software for around 25-30 bucks as well, but sounds like your card is shot.

if the card is getting to hot it can cause this ... excess amounts of dust cloggin it up could be the problem. Instead of replacing the card ... clean it first and make sure it's getting enough airflow.

Then if all else fails ... replace it

bread's done
Back