Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - Criterion revitalizes NFS! Out now!

Saint Noir

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
nfs-hot-pursuit-billboard-UK_656x369.jpg

Criterion Games (the Burnout franchise) is putting their touch on the Need for Speed franchise with a game that they say is FOUR times as large as Burnout Paradise. The game will also feature a robust multiplayer experience. Similar to other recent EA titles, early copies of NFS: Hot Pursuit will be "Limited Editions" that grant access to certain perks. In this game it will be access to cars early or exclusively.

"The Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Limited Edition delivers six exotic cars; Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, Ford Shelby GT500, Audi TT RS Coupe, Chevrolet Camaro SS, Porsche Cayman S and Dodge Challenger SRT8. The Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione and Ford Shelby GT500 are only available in the Limited Edition and will not be available at any other time."

CHECK SOME REVIEWS! http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/997659-need-for-speed-hot-pursuit/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0lhCWe_sG8

Preorder at Amazon for a $20 credit or purchase at Kmart and it comes with a $25 gaming coupon. Many retailers will also have it for $35 on Black Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Saint Noir']Amazon now has a $20 pre order credit and 99 cent release day delivery.[/QUOTE]
LOL! So now early adopters get a free copy of NFS Shit and $20.

Reviews are flowing in and they're all positive so far. I see my 370Z cop car just waiting for me to grief people trying to finish the race haha. I might have to split my play time between this and ACB because they're both going to be so good!

Got the release day delivery from Amazon. Hopefully it will be sitting on my doorstep tomorrow afternoon. Anyone down for some racing tomorrow night?

Can't wait to play. My friends all ejected out of the Amazon deals hoping to score $35 copies at Target or $40 at the other retailers, but whatever I wanted it now. Haven't played a good NFS since Hot Pursuit on the GC.

I don't know how I missed this, I loved NFS back in the 90s. Not sure if I'll get this immediately, but I want to see how reviews generally pan out.

I don't like how the demo was time blocked, what's the point of that? I'd be more likely to purchase it immediately if I had the chance to play a demo.

I'm down for some racing tomorrow evening. Me and a friend of mine are getting it release day. I will get it now with a $20 Amazon credit. Good deal to me. Also, Kmart has it with a $25 gaming coupon.

BlueLobstah, most reviewers say it is the new standard for arcade racers. I, for one, am glad to finally have a competent replacement for Burnout Paradise (from the same team no less).

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/997659-need-for-speed-hot-pursuit/index.html

Few others...

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/09/need-for-speed-hot-pursuit-review/

http://www.destructoid.com/review-need-for-speed-hot-pursuit-186788.phtml

I might be getting this tomorrow. If any of you guys plan on playing in the evening sometime this week, hit me up! ;)

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

This is on my doorstep now. I'll be on this evening if anyone wants to play. You can ask scurker and freeky, I'm no good at racing games, but my commentary is pretty funny. Heh.

[quote name='aerol']This is on my doorstep now. I'll be on this evening if anyone wants to play. You can ask scurker and freeky, I'm no good at racing games, but my commentary is pretty funny. Heh.[/QUOTE]

I'll be getting it next week for $35....playing too many games atm.

Maybe you and my 4 year old should play together...strictly for the commentary. He's hilarious....he gets pissed off when people run into him (it is never his fault, even when he is driving the wrong direction) and he always, always calls the other driver "lady". "Dad, did you see that lady run into me?" "Dad, why doesn't that lady get out of my way?" I cannot stop laughing when he is commentating....he's not quite as "lady" vocal playing MarioKart on the DS since he can see the drivers of the other carts.

[quote name='aerol']This is on my doorstep now. I'll be on this evening if anyone wants to play. You can ask scurker and freeky, I'm no good at racing games, but my commentary is pretty funny. Heh.[/QUOTE]

I still have yet to get dingleberries in blur. :lol:

I think I'm going to have to try and wait until at least Black Friday for this one. I don't know why but it seems like all the racing games I've bought recently have been at least 1/2 off a couple of months later.

HAhAHAHAHAHAH. I guess I made a lasting impression with that observation during that game that Randy kept nailing me with them. Heh. I still don't have them either.

I guess we should start Blur night up again, in case Activision decides to shut off the Blur servers (since they are shutting down/selling Bizzare Creations).

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I still have yet to get dingleberries in blur. :lol:

I think I'm going to have to try and wait until at least Black Friday for this one. I don't know why but it seems like all the racing games I've bought recently have been at least 1/2 off a couple of months later.[/QUOTE]

NFS: HP2 is irritating and amazing all at once. Highly recommended at the $35 mark... $60 is too high.

Back to arcade style driving, but not the best arcade driving system... some of the cars just handle like ass...

[quote name='Retom7']some of the cars just handle like ass...[/QUOTE]
So you're saying they're smooth and require a firm grip?

[quote name='Jodou']So you're saying they're smooth and require a firm grip?[/QUOTE]

And that you need a touch of lube...

... seriously, the cars tend to go in straight lines when you try to turn and stay in the gas, which is understandable at 200mph when trying to make a hairpin turn, except that the AI just did it. You have to use a little too much handbrake IMO, but the game is fun! It's got a great reward and unlockable system which makes it hard to not play another race.

I have only really played as the police in single player, but I did do the race in the demo and a race in multiplayer. MP was fun, lobby came up quick, but I got trashed as both racer and cop, lol... I need more cars and practice.

Highly recommended if you don't mind playing a little dirty...

Only wish customization was an option. Building my own police car would be AWE-SOME!

I'm a HUGE fan of the Need for Speed series.. they haven't got it right since Underground 1 & 2 and Most Wanted... Carbon was ok Pro Street sucked ass..Shift was ok but nothing but track racing.

As far as this Need for Speed Hot Pursuit:

Pros:

1.Awesome graphics - The secenery and map is huge

2.Nice Selection of cars

3.Multiplayer online is fun

4. Music selection is better but still generic and nothing you've heard again UNLIKE! Underground 1 & 2 which had awesome soundtracks. They make a fortune on these games.. pay some real artists to give us shit we wanna hear!

Cons:

1.While in Free drive no cops chase you if you break the law.. hell you don't even see cops so no fun really at all. Only benefit is to drive around and find the shortcuts but those are mapped when you're racing anyways

2. Freedrive has NO Heads up display of the full map.. you don't know where the fuck you're going!!! It only shows the short section of road you're actually on. IT SUCKS!

3. NO CUSTOMIZATION!! When will EA get their heads straight?? We don't want cars driven off of the showroom floor. We want individuality, selection of rims..custom paint..custom body kits!!! DAMNIT haha In this you get a choice of a few different factory colors.. WOW

4.Driveability is not realistic at all. Burnout Paradises driving was awesome. Criterion dropped the ball on this one. When you crash it doesn't really wreck the car like in BP either like a real wreck would. To me that's a nice aspect of the game when it's a damn racing game.

5.No storyline.. I mean damn couldn't be creative and give us a reason why we're a cop or racer?

Overall it's a nice game... I got it with the $20 bonus and the copy of free need for speed shift (which I already had) so I'll just end up selling that. so all in all I got the game for 19.99. Well worth it

Mutliplayer online is the strong point of this game.. there is no storyline on the career mode. Again no customization SUCKS for this type of game.. But graphics are awesome. Fun game I'd give it a 8 out of 10

Gameover - I agree with you. WTF is up with Freedrive? It sucks and is a complete waste of time - except for my 4 year old loving it. I was really expecting freedrive to be similar to Burnout Paradise....epic fail. What would've been awesome is a combination of the two....the BP "freedrive" mode with the option to utilize the career menu for races.

I cannot say how disappointed I am in this aspect. Now I have to hope that GT5 is far more user friendly....at least I know what I am getting into with that....except for the BSpec aspect of the game.

While the game looks good and has some neat features, freedrive brings this down to no higher than 3 out of 5 for me.

[quote name='GameOverSuckas']I'm a HUGE fan of the Need for Speed series.. they haven't got it right since Underground 1 & 2 and Most Wanted...

[/QUOTE]

HARUMPH!

MW wanted would have been the best IMO if they had put in as many mods and customizations as they had in U2.

I gotta agree on the freedrive. Driving around is alright, but it would have been way better if there were random speed traps and other racers driving around to start random races with. There just isn't as much to do as in Burnout, no cool jumps and such.

The online modes are pretty good. I hate how most people play Interceptor, it takes a lot of the fun out of the mode. I probably won't play it after I get the trophy. Hot pursuit with a good group of people is pretty incredible though.

I'm hoping that Criterion patches the freedrive mode to make it a bit more grand. I haven't played it yet, but just hearing your statements makes me not want to. Criterion patched Burnout Paradise to craziness, so I don't doubt they will listen to the community and offer up some tweaks.

[quote name='Saint Noir']I'm hoping that Criterion patches the freedrive mode to make it a bit more grand. I haven't played it yet, but just hearing your statements makes me not want to. Criterion patched Burnout Paradise to craziness, so I don't doubt they will listen to the community and offer up some tweaks.[/QUOTE]

Since it is Criterion, I actually went ahead and sent them an email, with some comments like that. It is a great game and if you snag it later this week for $35, I don't think youll be disappointed.

I am really eager to see what the DLC shapes up to be. I was watching a Lupin movie last night and it made me think how much I would love to see some old school cars in the game. If not Lupin's Fiat and Zenigata's Bluebird, then maybe a throwback pack with some classic 80s exotics (Diablo V12) matching up against police class R31/R32 skylines. I could see them doing motorcycles again, but theyd have to shift the mechanics a bit. A Hollywood pack would be pretty great as well as there are some pretty famous police cars (Robocop, Mad Max, Bullitt). So many possibilities...I really hope they give it the same attention as their past titles.

[quote name='Saint Noir']I do own it, I just haven't tried free drive. :)[/QUOTE]

It is less less painful than listening to Rosanne Barr sing the national anthem and less insightful than suffering through Jersey Shore.

Free drive's only function at this point is to test drive a car.....unless you are my 4 year old and take out all of the "caprice" (police) cars and start slamming into everyone who is on the road and yell "I took down the bad guy!".

That is my gaming life now....unlocking cars for him to test drive. On a side note, he did do the first police "race" and did take down the speeder...in something like 2:30, which isn't bad for a 4 year old. :)

I am definitely down. This is more my speed the GT5. I will get GT5 one day... but for now this is my racer. I know I can bring one other in for sure for a race night.

The nighttime interceptor events are fucken annoying. One bad move and the car youre chasing vanishes. This should be an easy platinum. Havent played multiplayer yet, but if its anything as fun as Burnout Ill be spending plenty of time on it.

fell free to add me : egizz

Please watch, and encourage your friends to watch the above trailer. I'd really love some free DLC!

Is the game very similar to Burnout where rubbing on walls wont slow you down or stop you much? Or is it crash once and your done? I am tempted to use my last $30 in Kmart coups to get this game for $10 next week at Kmart. But only if it is very similar to Burnout as I cant play anything remotely close to a simulation racer. Gran Turismo I aint!

[quote name='wrencrest']Is the game very similar to Burnout where rubbing on walls wont slow you down or stop you much? Or is it crash once and your done? I am tempted to use my last $30 in Kmart coups to get this game for $10 next week at Kmart. But only if it is very similar to Burnout as I cant play anything remotely close to a simulation racer. Gran Turismo I aint![/QUOTE]

You can crash several times.

[quote name='jman619']You can crash several times.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, early on they said they didn't want it to be like some racing games (and sometimes even in Burnout) where one crash just takes you out of the race. You can crash and still do well. Rubbing walls or other cars, if it is glancing, does not effect your speed too much. Of course, more solid hits do and can result in a crash.

I also am not into sim racing, so if you like Burnout, NFS HP is a great new game until the next Burnout (or next whatever is big in arcadey racing).

Sweet. I hope to pick it up next week for cheap then. I played through Burnout Paradise twice and loved it. Is the sense of speed the same in this game? And are the graphics as good as it looks and they say?

[quote name='wrencrest']Sweet. I hope to pick it up next week for cheap then. I played through Burnout Paradise twice and loved it. Is the sense of speed the same in this game? And are the graphics as good as it looks and they say?[/QUOTE]

It is a very pretty game. You don't even have to quantify with "for this type of game," it is flat out good looking. The sense of speed is awesome and one thing Paradise spoiled me on. I would play other racers and think they felt too slow. NFS HP feels very fast.

I'm digging everything about HP except for one thing... Is it just me or is it much harder to do takedowns in this game than in previous Burnouts? (Paradise + Revenge in particular).

Every time I try to slam someone all that ends up happening is my speed dropping and me falling behind. Kind of annoying... Is the online just straight up racing then (the non-Cop v. Racers modes)?

Takedowns are way harder than Burnout. But that is by design. It took me forever to get good at playing this way, as I was so used to just slamming people or barely tapping them in Burnout and getting massive crashes.

In this game it is much more about strategic hits and wearing your opponent down (or making them swerve into on coming traffic, weapons usage, etc). Also, in Interceptor mode if you can pin or get in front of your target and effectively trap them for a few seconds, you will get the bust (regardless of their health). I assume this would also work in Hot Pursuit mode, but way less practical there.

Online has straight up racing, hot pursuits and interceptor modes. You can play as cops or racers in the Hot Pursuit mode. So it is a team of player racers against player cops. It is pretty fun.

bread's done
Back