Need for Speed: Shift - Out Now - Demo Coming Oct. 2

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
picture.php

Need for Speed™ SHIFT is an award-winning authentic racing game that combines the true driver’s experience with real-world physics, pixel-perfect car models, and a wide range of authentic race tracks. Need for Speed SHIFT takes players in a different direction to create a simulation experience that replicates the true feeling of driving high-end performance cars.

Players are thrust into the loud, visceral, intense, athletic experience of racing a car on the edge of control from the driver’s perspective through the combination of perception based G-forces, the hyper reality of the cockpit view, and the brutal experience of a first person crash dynamic. Need for Speed SHIFT features an accurate, accessible physics-based driving model that allows you to feel every impact, every change of track surface and every last bit of grip as you push yourself to the edge.

The all-new driver profile is the ultimate extension of the true driver’s experience. This system gives each player a unique persona based on a player’s driving skill and style - aggressive or precise. Driver profile impacts how a player unlocks cars, overall career progression and online matchmaking. In Need for Speed SHIFT, how you drive is who you are behind the wheel.

Need for Speed SHIFT is being developed by Slightly Mad Studios in collaboration with Black Box and senior vice president Patrick Soderlund at EA Games Europe. Slightly Mad Studios includes developers and designers that worked on the critically acclaimed games GT Legends and GTR 2.

Key Features
- True Driver’s Experience – A variety of visual cues delivers the true driver’s experience including a three-dimensional HUD that mimics driver head movement, inertia and G-forces. The depth of field also adjusts based on the speed of the car; so when the car is traveling at high speeds the perspective will shift to the distance putting the car/cockpit out of focus.

- Driver Profile – What kind of driver are you? Driver profile tracks the player’s evolution as a race driver from event to event. This system is made up of a driver’s personality on the track, their success rate and any profile points and badges accrued all of which work together to create a tailor-made career and game play experience. Driver profile is pervasive throughout all modes: career and online.

- Dynamic Crash Effect - When the player hits a static object or opponent car, the player will feel like they are 'taking damage'. A combination of visual and audio effects will leave the player disorientated and briefly disrupt the race.

- Total Customization – Need for Speed SHIFT features a comprehensive customization option that lets the player tailor every aspect of the cars performance and styling. Go under the hood to upgrade and tune your vehicle to increase its performance. The visual customization system allows players to personalize both the exterior and trick out the interior to reflect their individual style and preferences.

- Photo Real Cars and Tracks – Nearly 70 licensed cars are available including the Pagani Zonda F, Audi RS4, and Porsche 911 GT3 RSR. There is also over 15 real-world locations like Willow Springs and Laguna Seca as well as fictional circuits like downtown London and Tokyo.
Didn't see a thread for this yet. Got this earlier today and have been enjoying it a lot. The cockpit view is the best one I've used since GT5 Prologue.

Just bought this game today... anyone else?

I really am digging the new style there going for (part GT, part arcade) mix.

Also love the licensed vehicles, was only able to play a few tracks and upgrade a Civic SI with full level 1. Fun game I can already see myself conquering career mode later.

edit: OP you might wanna change the title seems the demo is already out.

I picked this up yesterday. Played a little bit of it last night, and I dig it so far. However, there are a few instances where I felt the car was being a little floaty. Otherwise, it's fun. I'll log some more time into it once I get home from work.

Played this at a friend's house yesterday. It really felt like "My first racing sim" that's to say, not as hardcore as Forza or GT but with enough realism to keep my interest. All in all from what I played I'd give it a 8/10.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I looked on the dashboard and the web marketplace and didn't see it, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it was the PS3 version that had the demo out already... idk but why would they wait that long to release a demo?

I don't see it on PS3 either. I don't get why it's coming late either since people that are on the fence will get a taste of Forza 3 first, so they'll probably lose a good chunk of potential customers because of that demo.

The Demo on PC is out. I don't know when it comes out for consoles, but it did say Oct. As for this game... gonna have to cave and get it soon.

I rented it from Gamefly. It's okay.

I say "okay" with the caveat that what sets NFS apart, is that it's different from a run-of-the-mill racer in terms of style. Yea, the last NFS sucked balls, but instead of going to a sim-style racer, why not just improve upon what was bad the last time.

As a sim-racer, its pretty good, it's got some depth and it looks fantastic. It even tries to go the Forza/Gran Turismo route with advanced tuning and all that sort of thing, but it's so damn run-of-the-mill considering the amount of good racers (IMO) that have been out this generation. I was bored to tears playing this, especially with the knowledge that Forza is right around the corner.

I'd definitely say play the demo or rent first and only get it if you're an absolute sim racer/gearhead junkie. I like sim racers, but why NFS ahd to go this route is a bit sad. Hire some better writers and implement the cop chases better and improve upon what NFS has been known for instead of going to a dime-a-dozen style of racing game.

The best comparison to this game is Grid, but with more depth. It's literally just another racing circuit game. Forza 3, Project Gotham, Grid, Dirt, you've been here before.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']I rented it from Gamefly. It's okay.

I say "okay" with the caveat that what sets NFS apart, is that it's different from a run-of-the-mill racer in terms of style. Yea, the last NFS sucked balls, but instead of going to a sim-style racer, why not just improve upon what was bad the last time.[/quote]
They've been doing that for a while, haven't they? It's been pretty much the same experience that has been reworked and "improved" since Most Wanted or whatever the first Need for Speed of this generation is. I'd guess that if the Criterion rumors are true, they've made some serious changes to the way the series was being handled. I see this as their attempt at catering to a new crowd that NFS has never really catered to before, though the timing might have screwed them over with Forza and potentially GT coming right after it.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']As a sim-racer, its pretty good, it's got some depth and it looks fantastic. It even tries to go the Forza/Gran Turismo route with advanced tuning and all that sort of thing, but it's so damn run-of-the-mill considering the amount of good racers (IMO) that have been out this generation. I was bored to tears playing this, especially with the knowledge that Forza is right around the corner.

I'd definitely say play the demo or rent first and only get it if you're an absolute sim racer/gearhead junkie. I like sim racers, but why NFS ahd to go this route is a bit sad. Hire some better writers and implement the cop chases better and improve upon what NFS has been known for instead of going to a dime-a-dozen style of racing game.

The best comparison to this game is Grid, but with more depth. It's literally just another racing circuit game. Forza 3, Project Gotham, Grid, Dirt, you've been here before.[/QUOTE]
The issue with the examples you listed is that all of them are completely different. Forza's the heavy duty sim that features hundreds of cars, tracks, and can be a very overwhelming game for those not interested in everything it offers and just want an accessible sim racer. Dirt's an off-road/rally racer that is very different and doesn't have a wide appeal. Grid and PGR are kind of similar but the latter leans a little more heavily on its arcade aspects while the former is more of a sim, but they both go for the casual sim group that Need for Speed Shift is after. Those kinds of games offer a smaller selection of cars, tracks, and events while giving players enough of a realistic racing experience to satisfy their craving.

I couldn't really have ever cared about this game if it was the same thing they've been making for the last five years, so it's a good change for me. The only NFS games I can remember being slightly interested in were ProStreet and Hot Pursuit 2, which I never got around to buying anyway. If you're just a general racing fan, I can see the issue with not being blown away by new ideas and features, but it's still a solid and well-made racing game for me.

They've been doing that for a while, haven't they? It's been pretty much the same experience that has been reworked and "improved" since Most Wanted or whatever the first Need for Speed of this generation is. I'd guess that if the Criterion rumors are true, they've made some serious changes to the way the series was being handled. I see this as their attempt at catering to a new crowd that NFS has never really catered to before, though the timing might have screwed them over with Forza and potentially GT coming right after it.

No. Outside of Pro Street, the other NFS games in this generation (Most Wanted in 2005, Carbon in 2007, and Undercover in 2008) have all had storylines and all had the traditional NFS staple of cop chases involved that set them apart from circuit-style racing. ProStreet was an attempt at a game very similar to this. ProStreet (2007 as well) was also a big pile of crap all the way around, whereas at least Shift is good at what it sets out to do.

e. The issue with the examples you listed is that all of them are completely different. Forza's the heavy duty sim that features hundreds of cars, tracks, and can be a very overwhelming game for those not interested in everything it offers and just want an accessible sim racer. Dirt's an off-road/rally racer that is very different and doesn't have a wide appeal. Grid and PGR are kind of similar but the latter leans a little more heavily on its arcade aspects while the former is more of a sim, but they both go for the casual sim group that Need for Speed Shift is after. Those kinds of games offer a smaller selection of cars, tracks, and events while giving players enough of a realistic racing experience to satisfy their craving.

You're totally misinterpreting what the point was. They're still circuit style racing games where the point of the game is to enter a NASCAR-like competition (obviously with very different tracks from just driving in circles like NASCAR), where there is, IMO, very little setting each other apart aside from some different styles of races and obviously, Dirt is an off-roader. Forza's depth is not for everyone, but the comparison to even it and Gran Turismo is still legitimate.

I dislike this game for the simple fact that it does very little differently to the games I mentioned in terms of styles. It's still circuit style racing where the goals are pretty much identical in every single game. Win races, get better cars, move up to other levels with better cars etc. Technologically, its got its bright spots, but its still easy enough for an arcade racer and deep enough for a sim racer to get into it.

Are you kidding me? Grid and this game could basically pass for each other outside of this scratching the surface (in comparison to Forza) in regards to tuning. Its literally the exact same kind of game and sure, the cars handle a bit differently in each, but this, PGR, and Grid especially are all cut from the same cloth.

If this is a good game for you, enjoy it. I found it stale and adding nothing new to the genre, when the series was initially created to break away from racing game norms.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Outside of Shift, the other NFS games in this generation (Most Wanted in 2005, Carbon in 2007, and Undercover in 2008) have all been shit and all had the traditional EA garbage flavor. ProStreet was also a big pile of crap all the way around, whereas at least Shift trys to be good at what it sets out to do because people are starting to hopefully realize EA makes crap most of the time.
[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

I guess I just honestly don't care about how the career's set-up since it just a means to give you the races with a decent difficulty curve. I played and beat both PGR's and 3 was a straight series of races while I guess 4 was more circuit-like, but I remember it being more about becoming the #1-ranked racer in the world than anything else. If that's what you don't want out of a career mode, then I can see why you don't like this and would want an old-style NFS game.

Where did I say Grid, PGR, and Shift were different? I said they were very similar and that was about all I saw being the most comparable to Shift amongst the games you listed, though I saw why you really comparing them. I guess that's just the difference between the way we're looking at this game then, which is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
As usual, I rented from blockbuster. Not to bad of a game really. Of course, I finally hit tier 2 and got my fav.....Camaro SS. But jeez the thing handles like a boat even with the suspension upgrades and tires I have on it. I seem to be going all Domestic lol. But I think a couple more races and I might bring it back. Don't know yet, I'll know after a couple races.

You take all the mods and customization of NFS U 2...Mix it with NFS MW and you would have hands down the best NFS game ever made.

Now that I have it, I don't think it's a good as we've been led on. I will say it's the first NFS with the LEAST amount of FAIL in it.

IMO Shift is a LOT better than all the past few crap NFS games (I'm looking at you, Carbon & ProStreet), but nothing beats Most Wanted. Most epic NFS game ever. Hot Pursuit (NFS3) was amazing back in the days as well.

I'm still trying to figure out what NFS Shift is like. I loved Most Wanted, did not enjoy/hated carbon, hated ProStreet, haven't picked up undercover yet.

I did/do how ever love PGR4 and GRID. How does it come pare to these 2? I am considering picking this up but if its anything like Forza 2 or Gran Tourismo, I probably wont.

Undercover was kind of a gitchy mess but still fun in a way. I want to finish Most Wanted but can't bring myself to put up with the retarded bounty goals, which I already did on PS2. Anyway if I like the demo I'll check out the achievements for this and decide if I want to get it or not.

ive been playing NFS shift these past couple of days and so far this game imo has disappointed me a few times on how unrealistic and bad the cars handle. I dont know if its the physics engine they used or something EA did but they really messed up the handling on most of the cars. They slide in almost every corner and oversteer way too much. Dirt 2, GRID, Forza, Gran Turismo come no where close to shifts handling and I could take the corners with ease and precision. The loading menu's and paint editor can also sometimes become glitchy to and take forever to load.

EA seriously needs to go back to NFSU or NFSU2 and just copy that with next gen graphics and online play, and I would be happy

I've discovered a weird glitch in the final championship tier where the second series gives points to winners that were nowhere near the front. So I'd see Joe Zimmerman win two of the first four races and he'd maybe get 2 points total while guys like Chet Ismet or Hiyo Hanamura (something similar to that) got all of the credit so that I was about 12 points behind Hiyo (first place) after four races when he was never near the top at all. It seems like I'd have to get in first at least three of the races to get a fair shake, so I'm taking the difficulty down to easy so that's more likely since I've only been able to get between 2nd and 4th.

Jesus, I just downloaded the demo and switched to Manual before the race. Then I couldn't figure out how to shift for a good 10 seconds until I noticed that it was on the BUMPERS. I mean, come the fuck on.

Maybe it's just me, but I kind of miss the older NFS games. My favorite was NFS Underground 2. The driving physics weren't TOO real, there was car customization and there was free roam mode. Not to mention that there were different types of races, as well as quirky little objectives and goals.

With the new racing games, all I see is 100% seriousness. You start up the game and are looking at a menu. You pick a race, beat it, then pick another race. They try to add in dumb little experience things, but it's all bull crap. And you unlock cars, but can't do anything to them. Change the paint color and that's about it. It seems like they're making everything too real and boring. If I wanted to actually race, I'd do it. But I don't. I want to play a game that's going to keep my interest and offer me things in the game that I couldn't achieve in real life.

Then again, maybe it's just me. Anybody share the same opinion?

EDIT: This whole discussion is started from the fact that I just played Shift for about an hour. It was good, but not great.

bread's done
Back