Need Guidance on purchasing Sony PS3 System, Remote, Controller, & Netflix Question

rywateska

CAGiversary!
Feedback
100 (100%)
I have a co-worker who is looking to jump on to the Playstation 3 bandwagon. He's looking for:
  • PS3 System (120gb?)
  • Blu-Ray Remote (can this be bundled with the system?)
  • Extra controller (suggest the dual shock or original wireless/tilt?)

Also, he was wondering if Sony is building the PS3 Netflix ready or if that is still in the pipeline?

I am a 360 gamer through and through and don't follow the Sony deals very well. I would like to help him as best as possible so if anyone could point me in the right direction towards any current (or upcoming) promotions I would really, really appreicate it. Any advice/suggestions for the questions above will help out so if you've heard/seen/know of something good, please let me know!

Thanks!

1. PS3s (non-slim and slim) are currently extremely hard to come by (it is odd to me that supply hasn't been ramped up in anticipation of FFXIII and God of War 3. Maybe it's part of Sony's marketing strategy to create buzz for the PS3, or maybe they were just extremely short-sighted). There was a Dell deal yesterday but that sold out within six hours or so. Amazon, Target, and BestBuy replenish their stock periodically as well. Just keep an eye out. BestBuy currently has the 250gb slim in stock at some stores. You can place an order for in-store pickup at BB, but I don't believe you can have them ship to you.

2. Don't know about the Blu-Ray Remote as a bundle, but to be honest, the included PS3 controller works just fine as a remote for watching your Blu-Ray (or DVD) movies.

3. The original controller (six-axis) is no longer being produced. Get the Dual Shock 3 (better known as DS3) controllers. DS3 controllers combine the motion sensing features of the six-axis along with the rumble/vibration capabilities of the DS2.

4. The PS3 is "Netflix ready" - all you have to do is request a PS3 playable DVD from your Netflix account. Netflix will send you one for free.

I hope this helps! :)

[quote name='mjyoung']1. PS3s (non-slim and slim) are currently extremely hard to come by (it is odd to me that supply hasn't been ramped up in anticipation of FFXIII and God of War 3. Maybe it's part of Sony's marketing strategy to create buzz for the PS3, or maybe they were just extremely short-sighted). There was a Dell deal yesterday but that sold out within six hours or so. Amazon, Target, and BestBuy replenish their stock periodically as well. Just keep an eye out. BestBuy currently has the 250gb slim in stock at some stores. You can place an order for in-store pickup at BB, but I don't believe you can have them ship to you.

2. Don't know about the Blu-Ray Remote as a bundle, but to be honest, the included PS3 controller works just fine as a remote for watching your Blu-Ray (or DVD) movies.

3. The original controller (six-axis) is no longer being produced. Get the Dual Shock 3 (better known as DS3) controllers. DS3 controllers combine the motion sensing features of the six-axis along with the rumble/vibration capabilities of the DS2.

4. The PS3 is "Netflix ready" - all you have to do is request a PS3 playable DVD from your Netflix account. Netflix will send you one for free.

I hope this helps! :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips. I'm guessing the best deals now are probably to be had on Amazon. I didn't realize that the PS3 is becoming hard to find!

There are PS3 slims that have the netflix disc in the box. The netflix sticker will be on the box.

My local Costco seemingly has PS3s in all the time, as it's often overlooked compared to the usual BBs, TRUs, Targets, etc. Usually for $329 they throw in Uncharted, a Blu Ray remote, and an HDMI cable too.

bread's done
Back