Need HDD external enclosure

DrunkTigerWoods

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (92%)
I'm looking for an HDD external enclosure so I can use a spare hard drive with my DVR box. It has to be 3.5", SATA internal to eSATA external connection, and have an AC power supply. I'm trying to get one on the cheap, but reliable.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Puffoluf$$$us']There's also this one on Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817155223

Though it seems that this one and the one you posted are out of stock at the moment. And the other options are modules that hold more than one drive.

I'm guessing the reason your options are so limited is that you need a SATA external connection. Most of the enclosures these days use a eSATA connection.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll probably go with that one if I cant find anything else.

Actually I found out that my DVR box and manual are both labeled wrong and can take eSATA. So I'm looking for 3.5", SATA to eSATA, for as cheap as possible.

[quote name='DrunkTigerWoods']Actually I found out that my DVR box and manual are both labeled wrong and can take eSATA. So I'm looking for 3.5", SATA to eSATA, for as cheap as possible.[/quote]

In that case, you have tons more options.

Now you can get a enclosure that only has an eSATA external interface.
You can look at those here: eSATA only

However, for a few dollars more, you might as well get ones that have an eSATA + USB interface just in case you ever need it more than just a DVR drive and you want to hook it up to a computer without an eSATA connection. (Plus there are more options for the eSATA +USB).
Those are here: eSATA + USB

These are from NewEgg. Tigerdirect has some, but newegg has always treated me well, so I just stick with them. When looking at the available enclosures, personally, I wouldn't just choose the cheapest one. Read some of the reviews on them to see how well the cases dissipate heat, or if there have been problems with it.

On a side note, if you are looking to save a couple of more bucks, Microsoft Live gives cashback on purchases made from Newegg (3% back) and Tigerdirect (5% back). Just go to live.com and click "cashback" in the top right corner. You pay the full price up front, but 60 days after your purchase date, you can request payment from MS (as long as you have $5 from cashback stuff). Just throwing it out there.

[quote name='Puffoluf$$$us']On a side note, if you are looking to save a couple of more bucks, Microsoft Live gives cashback on purchases made from Newegg (3% back) and Tigerdirect (5% back). Just go to live.com and click "cashback" in the top right corner. You pay the full price up front, but 60 days after your purchase date, you can request payment from MS (as long as you have $5 from cashback stuff). Just throwing it out there.[/quote]

I didn't know that about tiger direct cashback thanks for pointing that out . i due a great deal of money with them.

[quote name='DrunkTigerWoods']Actually I found out that my DVR box and manual are both labeled wrong and can take eSATA. So I'm looking for 3.5", SATA to eSATA, for as cheap as possible.[/quote]Antec MX-1 is what I use on my Tivo S3, and it's a great enclosure. Actively cooled with a fan, has a hard power on-off switch, and is 3-year warrantied.

bread's done
Back